[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any benefit to using MATLAB for scientific simulations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: 1435773408267.jpg (59KB, 640x560px) Image search: [Google]
1435773408267.jpg
59KB, 640x560px
Is there any benefit to using MATLAB for scientific simulations over Python?

Python is free, more portable, etc. I've completely changed over. What are your thoughts /sci/?
>>
>>7978499
One good reason (and this argument holds for any language) is that a bunch of libraries just might not be available for Python (yet). Depends on your applications, I guess, but I have not come across a situation where Matlab would have offered me something that Python/Numpy doesn't.
>>
>>7978598
Yeah I'm doing digital signal processing and have found Python to be pretty good all things considered

Somethings I re-implement myself but it's not a big deal
>>
>>7978598
>>7978895
Teach me Python o.o
>>
>>7978499
Yes, there is a big benefit.

If you tell me that you code in python then I immediately get a mental image of you being a 4 year old kid who barely knows how a computer works, codes like shit and 'hacks' people by repeatedly typing ping in his command line.

However, if you tell me that you work with matlab I immediately make a mental image of you being a succesful engineer or scientist, a six pack and like 6 hot sluts all around you, wanting your manly cock.

I know that maybe I'm biased and maybe I'm simply holding on to wierd /g/ memes but it is the truth, and I'm not the only one.

Also, I think that payscale found that for many jobs, knowing MATLAB is the one thing that raises your salary and chance to get hired by a fuckton.
>>
>>7978499
Sure python is great if you want to waste your time looking for or coding functions that already exist in MATLAB. If you want free etc just go with octave, scilab, julia, whatever.
>>
>>7978900
go.o.gle.co.o.m
>>
Quick question. I really want to know how to program and many people tell me to start with C, however, one of my classes used python and I feel somewhat confident with the language and I have many ideasof what I want to do with the language. But if I continue with python I don't think I will have the time to learn C considering all the other shit I have to do. So what do you recommend?
>>
>>7979363
I'm someone who learned C as a first language way back when I was still a virgin, fuck that was a long time ago. I was like 15. I use only Visual Basic in my job.

Why am I telling you this? Simply. You learn C, or C++ if you really care about understanding programming on an intuitive level, where you can dissect any algorithm into what individual actions the computer is doing.

You don't sound like you care about that shit.

Why did I tell you about the VB job? Simply, if the reason you want to program is to increase your value in the job market then know this: no one will hire you to write C code, unless you have 2 PhDs in Computer Science, 1 in Physics and 3 in Mathematics.

One time I had to do an iphone app for my company, I tried really hard to write it with C but the amount of extra work I would have had to do was gargantuan and I just fucked off back to using Swift, another babby language.

So to sum it up

>If you care about computers and would like a career in low level programming (low as in close to the metal)
C or C++. Assembly if you hate your life.

>Do you care only about getting a better job
Visual Basic, Java, Swift.

>Are you a 12 year old kid with no mental capacity, and diagnosed as retarded?
Python
>>
>>7978900
codecademy.com
khanacademy.com
>>
>>7979377
>>7979377
My school is semi-forcing me to learn python. I study physics btw. But should I start with C/C++ and move then to Java/python/pearl etc?
>>
>>7979392

It makes sense that a physics degree would teach you python. They want you to be able to run simulations and "understand" programming but they don't care about you actually doing something useful because 99% of your class won't go into research anyways.

There is no standard of where to start. C/C++ only if you care about computers and want to pursue a career in computational science and/or low level programming.

My recommendation is Java or Visual Basic. My personal favorite is Java because it is free as in freedom, all of it.
>>
>>7978900
It's the most basic shit ever.
>>
>>7979403
Is java really the best option for computational physics?
>>
>>7979415
No no no. C++ is.

Java is slow as fuck. Virtual machine = slow as fuck.

It is perfect for the usual office software shit.
>>
>>7979415
Fortran (90 or later) is best for hacking out fast numerical stuff. C++ is used a lot too, particularly for large-scale development projects. MATLAB is nice for small-scale numerical work, although in principle you could do it in Python. The main use of Python afaik is automating runs of commercial or otherwise well-developed software packages (e.g. VASP). Bash is also useful for this purpose.

t. current grad student
>>
>this thread
The fuck? Why the hell would you ever use anything other than Matlab for scientific work?
>>
>>7979415
No it's javascript
>>
>>7979451
Cause it's ancient gramps
>>
>>7979437
this.
>>
>>7979403
>>7979425
>>7979437
>mfw /sci/ is helpful.
Thanx lads.
>>
File: when the kush hits you.jpg (32KB, 380x420px) Image search: [Google]
when the kush hits you.jpg
32KB, 380x420px
>>7978950
>Also, I think that payscale found that for many jobs, knowing MATLAB is the one thing that raises your salary and chance to get hired by a fuckton.

engineer here. thats not true.

the big languages in industry are fortran and C. mom n pop shops use VBA cuz its free.

>mfw my PE holding boss does FEA in VB.
>>
>>7979437
>Fortran is best for hacking out fast numerical stuff
Until people realize what the "restrict" keyword does.
>>
Matlab can be faster because of it's proprietary shit and the fact you can 'compile' it.

But for the love of all that's holy, you should not be using matlab or python for big simulations. They are for prototyping.

>>7979437
This, python is glue.
>>
>>7978950
i'm planning to learn matlab and solidworks. i know you're exagerrating but is there a prominent demand for junior engineers to know these over others like autocad and mathematica?
>>
>>7979570
>i know you're exagerrating but is there a prominent demand for junior engineers to know these over others like autocad and mathematica?

if you really know solidworks, just go ahead and put down the names of all the others on your resume. they are all the same.
>>
>>7979363

λλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλ
haskell
haskell
h a s k e l l
ハスケル
λλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλ
>>
>>7978499
Better IDE
More books on theory
Matrix code is beautiful
Different toolboxes last time I checked (but they seem to be remedying that)

I still rather use python to be honest
>>
>>7978900
Learnpythonthehardway.org
>>
>>7979636
>meme tutorial: the meme site
>>
>>7979377
>Why did I tell you about the VB job? Simply, if the reason you want to program is to increase your value in the job market then know this: no one will hire you to write C code, unless you have 2 PhDs in Computer Science, 1 in Physics and 3 in Mathematics.
This so much.

I use C++/Python at home for my own projects, but in work I only ever use VB or R. Learn C++ (not C) to understand, learn the rest to make money.
>>
File: 3dprintedfacingworlds.jpg (34KB, 628x472px) Image search: [Google]
3dprintedfacingworlds.jpg
34KB, 628x472px
>>7978499
There is a benefit to using something like Julia, Rust, Lua , or GO to either of these languages.
>>
>>7978499
Is R only useful for maths students?
I mean would it be a waste of time and resources for a physicist to learn it?
Also how hard is it to learn, relative to other shit like Python or C?
>>
>>7980058
I've used R as a physicist, however it was for statistical data analysis
>>
I'm gonna learn fortran. Any helpful tips before I kill myself on it?
>>
name one language other than MATLAB and python, where you can visualize 3D plots on-the-fly. Advantage of python over MATLAB: it's for free.
>>
>>7980111
octave
>>
>>7979414

This is how I know you've never coded in your life
>>
>>7981016
lol xDD bro do u even COAD???
>>
>>7979392
Learn python first, because this will be easier on you. Don't worry about impressing people on the internet by doing everything the hard way; you can learn C later.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.