[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Isn't field theory just as ridiculous as Ptolemy's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1458417295612.jpg (50KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1458417295612.jpg
50KB, 480x360px
Isn't field theory just as ridiculous as Ptolemy's epicycles ?

Field theories come down to the idea of assigning a value to every point in space, it sounds as non-predictive as the epicycles.

What am I missing here ?
>>
>>7975867
I think the very notion of "point in space" is flawed.
>>
>Isn't field theory just as ridiculous as Ptolemy's epicycles ?
I don't see how either of those is ridiculous, even if the later idea faded out.

>it sounds as non-predictive as the epicycles.
Once you fixed which circles sit on one circle, you can predict the future time positions, what's the problem. That's basically Fourier analysis btw.
With fields, you set up dynamics (maybe respecting some symmetries) with unique solutions from given initial conditions.
>>
>>7975890
>Once you fixed which circles sit on one circle, you can predict the future time positions, what's the problem. That's basically Fourier analysis btw.

are you retarded ? you have to make a different set of circles for every single possible configuration of planets in the universe

it's not predictive, just like you have to know the function beforehand to calculate it's fourier transform
>>
>>7975901
I guess you missed that day of PDEs where they talked about "initial boundary value problems".

Just kidding, I know you have never taken a single differential equations course in your life.
>>
>>7975937

Calm down, Barnette

the theory is non-predictive in the sense that even if the solution you found can predict the trajectory from initial boundaries, you still had to know the function beforehand to calculate its FT

Ptolemy didn't have a deterministic equation to solve, he made up a set of circles that looked like the orbits, that were later refined by other mathematicians

Newton Gravitation, theory is predictive, the epicyles are not
>>
>>7975949
>still not understanding what initial conditions are.
>>
>>7975867
>non-predictive

Ptolemy's models were predictive

That's why they were so bad for astronomy, they worked perfectly despite the theory behind them being dead wrong
>>
>>7975976
>>7975980

retards
>>
>>7975949
If epicycles are non-predictive, then how do epicycles know how to create this picture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVuU2YCwHjw
>>
>>7975867
>it sounds as non-predictive as the epicycles.

That would be true if field theories weren't incredibly predictive. If I'm honest I don't really get why you would think this, care to explain more?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.