[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I committed to Hunter College of the CUNY the other day. Do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: justendit.jpg (166KB, 650x456px) Image search: [Google]
justendit.jpg
166KB, 650x456px
I committed to Hunter College of the CUNY the other day. Do you guys know anything about how good their Physics program is? I was talking to one of their professors the other day and he mentioned that I would be able to do research with him and other professors starting my Freshman year so I'm feelin p hype.

Anybody here know anything?
>>
>>7975816
its trash, you are trash
EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD IS TRASH
>>
>>7975816
You won't be doing research in your freshman year topkek.

Unless by research they mean that they will make you hand in pointless investigations that amount to nothing else but google searches and a 2 hour laboratory.

If I was you I would feel worried because why would he feel the need to lie to you? That sounds sketchy as fuck.
>>
>>7975840
It's a very small program- 30 people to a year, so I don't think it's lying so much as them needing/wanting more people to help them out.
>>
>>7975844
And in my pure math program we are like 15 but they've never felt the need to lie and embelish mathematics for us.

In fact, they do the opposite. Every single day a professor tells us that most of us won't even make it to the next semester and by the time we actually get to do a thesis we will be like 6.

They take for reference the fact that the junior group has only 3 students.

You are not doing any research there, pal.
>>
>>7975848
I think you've just been spurned by your own college experience. Sorry that you're so pessimistic.
>>
>>7975850
No, your hopes are too high.

Explain to me what kind of research you think you could do with only knowledge of calculus I and general physics?
>>
>>7975848

Mathematicians are the goth kids of stem
>>
CUNY kist seems like a waste to me for STEM, unless maybe you're going to City College.

I decided to go to Stony Brook instead.
>>
>>7975856
CUNY just seems*
>>
>>7975853
The term "research" does not refer to the cutting-edge. When a professor has a research-assistant they're there to make things like setting up experiments and running calculations easier. You should consider drinking more often because you seem really stressed out.
>>7975856
Yea, I wanted to but I've got 2 brothers so my family can't really afford to send me to a dorming school and I don't want to take loans on since I plan on going to grad school. I'm pretty okay with it b/c the smaller class size at Hunter should mean there's more room for me to do research and have a few papers co-authored (maybe a first author or 2) and make it easy to get into grad school. Plus, Hunters got this ( http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/physics/accelma ) which is pretty cool.
>>
>>7975856
Did not like Stony Brook. Whatever, got my engineering degree.
>>
>>7975883
Is it possible to enjoy an engineering degree at all?
>>
>>7975866
That's completely understandable. Being the masochist that I am, I decided to commute there. Not cheap, but still much less than dorming. Although it's a bit taxing on my sleep schedule.

And I'm jealous you guys get math methods at the undergrad level, but I could try and self study some of that stuff over the summer.

>>7975883
I'm a physics major but I like it here so far. Although I'm gonna add a MechE minor so maybe I'll see why you feel that way later on.
>>
Kill yourself and go ask this question on /adv/. That is what the board is for.
>>
>>7975970
I'm not asking for advice. I want the experience of STEM majors at the school. This is the best place to find that.
>>
>>7975887
yes
>>
File: deadpe.jpg (17KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
deadpe.jpg
17KB, 320x320px
>>7976091
teach me how
>>
>>7976062
No it's not. You'd get useful responses if the school were popular for physics.

College confidential or their reddit board or whatever would probably be helpful.
>>
File: 1455977511399.jpg (19KB, 480x550px) Image search: [Google]
1455977511399.jpg
19KB, 480x550px
>>7975887
>not studying something you love
>not loving engineering
>>
>>7976123
Sorry, I prefer pussy
>>
>>7976221
nice >meme
>>
>>7975883
If you're not Asian, Stonybrook is not for you desu. However here at Binghamton it's not much better.
>>
>>7975883
stony brook reporting in - physics/math (as everyone is)
>>
>>7975839
For some reason i consider your words a quality post...
>>
>>7975839
/board
>>
>>7976097
by dropping out study applied math
>>
>>7976553
*not from Brooklyn Tech
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.