[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a bit philosophical, but I need to ask the science crowd.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 20150409_193855.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20150409_193855.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
This is a bit philosophical, but I need to ask the science crowd.
I can't just "not think about it"
How do men of science and logic deal with the knowledge of the massive cosmic scale, the possibility that countless universes could be expanding,ending and beginning alongside us, dimensions beyond our comprehension or perception and the cosmic wonder all about us that we will never grasp. And how minuscule and pointless we are. Why does anything matter?

I feel like there should be something more. Like we're missing a puzzle piece
I'm so curious about things I will never experience or really be able to comprehend.
And in the end it doesn't matter if I ever do understand time, or space, or any of it.

Because I'll die.

What's the point.
I was raised to be kind and loving and good, because that's what god wanted.
Why would anything ever matter.
How can we even perceive this existence.

I desperately hope that "god" exists.
I hope that god is some strange cosmological entity In dimensions beyond our comprehension. Misinterpreted and misunderstood. Maybe an alien. Maybe I'm a simulation, being tested for the next round in some computer.

I just hope that when I die, time doesn't stop for me. Or if it does, I want to know now.

Does this keep anyone else up at night?
>>
>>7975275
your other thread is still up - and will be for the better part of 24 hours even if no one bumps it - spaz
>>
cause people long ago realised this and to stop mindless chaos they invented god

now we have a reason for existing and a reason not to do whatever we want
>>
someone smart once said

"i dont fear death because i been dead a lot longer than alive so it cant be that bad"

just think when you die you'll go back to being what you were for the 14 billion years before u was born

on that scale you were never really alive in the first plase
>>
Einstein once said "god doesn't throw the dice"
He died still refusing to embrace quantum mechanics. The more we learn the wierder it gets. Do physicists really believe that absolutely nothing is out there? I teeter on the edge of agnostic and depressed nihilist, unsure of which I really want to believe
>>
>>7975280
This is my first time in WiFi in two weeks. I should have checked for other threads i suppose
>>
If you look at it from a fourth dimensional perspective instead of a three dimensional perspective, you never stop existing, that helps me a bit
Also I probably fucked up the wording on this because I'm exhausted, my bad.
>>
>>7975287
I hope you're right
>>
hey OP

Every star that burns, every planet whose orbit
is slowly decaying, every breath you take and calorie you metabolize brings the universe closer and closer to the point when the entropy is maximized, organized movement of any kind ceases, and nothing ever
happens again. There is no escape. No matter how magnificent life in the universe becomes or how advanced, the slow increase in entropy cannot be stopped - the universe will eventually die.
>>
>>7975289
By this logic doesn't it mean you'll be born again then?
>>
>>7975313
Or that I've been born, am being born and was born an infinite number of different times. Possibly so. I hope so.
>>
>>7975280
Oops. I managed to double post it. My bad
>>
>>7975275
sometimes I can find peace or freedom in the hopelessness.
When instead I find terror, I try to remember that its not decreed anywhere that I had to exist at all. None of this does. Such a strange circumstance. Don't think of it as something your entitled to.
>>
>expanding,ending and beginning alongside us
GR states that no information can travel faster than light, yet your vague phrase implies events happening parallel in time and this is where I object. Because even if this statement was true, there would be no physical way for any observer to confirm this since there can only be one unique observer, perfect duplicates can't exist in the physical world and thats why you can never tell if something happened "simultaniously".

In my opinion god is the metaphysical rules of our universe. Having no physical form per se he could be thought of as the negative space of our universe, governing all it's interactions.

I think religion is the first attempt of humanity to make sense of the forces of nature by describing them as god.

the question keeping me up at night is: what is the best description?
>>
you can ONLY experience this life repeatedly from your particular perspective because if anything different happened in your past it would lead to you being physically and mentally different down to the atomic lvl. So this universe has the potential to occur again and again. (assumption bc it's already here) Perhaps even in slight variations where different things happen. But if you think that the "you" in the universe where you are a world leader/billionaire is the same "you" in this life...it's simply not possible.
That "you" had a different upbringing, different past experiences, different lessons learned and a completely different perspective. Leading to a completely different neural network evolving. Don't get tangled up with the difference between physical appearance and conscious experience. Just because the "you" in the other universe has the same facial aesthetics doesn't make him anymore "you" than a twin of you would. So, what this leads to is a realization that you can only be the you experiencing this life from this perspective and nothing more. We've probably just been repeating our lives infinitely.
basically, every single creature that has lived, the countless newborns and young creatures who's only shot at existence is the one where they get viciously devoured by another creature. Or the countless creatures who's life, from birth till death has been nothing but pain and suffering - it's the only life they will ever get to experience because it's the only one where they can exist.
>>
>>7975275
>I can't just "not think about it"
wat U mean by "it", fgt?
>>
File: 1445886255942.jpg (28KB, 476x476px) Image search: [Google]
1445886255942.jpg
28KB, 476x476px
Just blindly believe in reincarnation and release your worries
>>
>>7975275
Recognize that whatever our real "reality" (simulation, godless, etc.), we are part of an ancient and eternal universe. We are all at the party. Enjoy!
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.