[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So if "it's not the volts that will kill you, it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: DNAGER HIGH VOLTAGE.jpg (85KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
DNAGER HIGH VOLTAGE.jpg
85KB, 1280x960px
So if "it's not the volts that will kill you, it's the amps" then why do all the warning signs around electric fences say "DANGER: HIGH VOLTAGE" and not "DANGER: HIGH AMPERAGE"?
>>
>>7975167
V=IR
>>
>>7975167
Because that statement isn't true. It is the combination of the two that matters.
>>
>>7975167
>it's not the volts that will kill you, it's the amps
These meme need to die.
>it's not the bullet that kills you, it's the loss of blood xDxDXDD
>>
>>7975176
It's not the truth that kills the meme, it's the age.
>>
biology here

here's how i was taught it really helps me understand the whole process

picture biting ants (amps) walking along a wire

voltage is like the size of the ants

current is how many ants are walking along the wire

a high voltage means big amps will bite more

high current means more amps are going along the wire so you'll get bit more often

hope this helps
>>
>>7975167

-Hight Voltage but very low Amp
Cause only electric arcs like small capacitors, or "static electricity" caused by rubbing polar textiles or dildos against your hairs. Unless you have a peace maker or a heart condition it's not deadly.

-Very low Voltage but High Amp, (that's rare)
The current need to penetrate your body and/or the isolation between it, you and the floor. That's it, Voltage is the force that ease the current travel. If you're wet as you can be, any current at any Voltage can cross your body,
That's for all the "Electric regulation in bathroom and room with water" cause water lower the skin resistance to nothingness, and can make previously non conductive materials->conductive.
ITS DEADLY if the current can cross you, that's all. (Electrician on High voltage electric lines can work on "live cable" with the proper equipment to insulate them (Faraday Cage+ Operating from an helicopter for no ground contact)

-High Voltage AND High Amperage
Big and shiny electric arcs can form between the cable and any lower potential, from various distance, and there is no question about it being dangerous or not. But you can wonder if you'll became black if you're not already. (in fact you'll be cooked on the connecting points and sunburned like crazy all around it)

>>7975176
>it's not the volts that will kill you, it's the amps
>These meme need to die

Right, because if stupid people read this somewhere without knowing the above they'll do what stupid people do and kill themselves (it could be good darwinnism if only they couldn't drive others people with them)
>>
>>7975167
When limited by the resistance of the body, current is directly proportional to voltage.

Also if this is referring to a substation or something arcing is a concern at those voltages, as well as being instantly lethal.
>>
>>7975167
If voltage is high, then amperage is high too
>>
>>7975167
It's easier to scare people off with higher numbers.

10A vs 200k V

The 10A will pretty much kill you instantly but it doesn't look as scary as 200k V
>>
>>7975794
>tfw my drone is 60A
>>
>>7975167
Voltage is a potential difference. "Danger High Voltage" warns people of that high potential difference. Electrician routinely "ground" themselves to the high potential so they can safely work with live equipment.

It's the same as a rock at the top of the cliff versus at the bottom. I don't recall ever seeing a warning sign at a cliff that says "Danger high rate of fall".
>>
File: electrician.jpg (23KB, 363x375px) Image search: [Google]
electrician.jpg
23KB, 363x375px
>>7975897
>"ground" themselves to the high potential

Do it, get your posthumous Darwin Award.
>>
>>7975167
>mfw there's enough current in a usb socket to kill you if you stick your dick in it
>mfw if you can stick your dick in a usb socket you probably should
>>
>>7975187
nice, you should become a teacher
>>
Power kills.

P = V*I
>>
>>7975167
I hate that retarded saying.
It's not just current or volts, it's how much energy is being put into you that is what damages you.
P = I*V or R*(I^2) or( V^2)/R
>>
>>7975819
No its not.
>>
>>7976116
If you're flying in a helicopter connected ("grounded") to a hV line you can lick it dance on it or what ever it just doesn't matter. Power lines definitely have the current carrying ability to get you to the same potential nearly immediately (same with birds)
>>
>>7975167
Because the Voltage in reference to ground is known. The amperage depends on what and how something is connected (your body).

After all it's a combination of voltage, amperage (through your body! not what the power supply is capable of) which depends strongly on your body resistance, frequency and time.

There are several different effects which may kill you:

*Burning of skin and organs,

*paralysis of heart and lung

*gas in your blood produced by electrolysis

*broken bones as result of muscle cramps

*falling of ladders or similar also as result of cramps

All these effects have different proportions depending on the physical properties of the current. 50Hz needs about 50mA for more than 1 sec to cause heart failure. For DC current more than 300mA is needed. Experience shows in lower voltage accidents AC does more damage while in high voltage applications DC is more dangerous.

In high voltage cases the cause is mostly arcing which may lead to higher survivability because the currents shuts down in a few milisecs. BUT! the most important thing may be: the current which causes most effects is absolutely depending on your body resistance which makes high voltage so much more dangerous because at a certain voltage your skin gets penetrated immediately which leads to a orders of magnitude smaller resistance which again leads to extremtly high currents. So your V = RI now is V = R(V)I with highly nonlinear R(V) (in reality of course R(V,I)).

Fun fact: At a few hundred khz ions can't follow anymore so there is no nerve conduction anymore.
>>
>>7978369
And obviously the shorter the exposure the better. Electric fences as example have high voltage and high current which would definitely kill you but are limited to very short pulses so maximum exposure is just a few ms and energy of the pulse just a few Joule.
>>
>>7978313

Linesmen do not ground themselves (with or without quotes), they charge themselves to the potential they work on. This only works as long as the capacitance to ground is small (distance counts).

Step on a plastic box (insulator) and touch the live 230V wire. You can do it, but be prepared and don't panic. You will certainly feel the capacitive current.
>>
>>7975167
A constant current source will kill you every time
>>
>>7975167
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device
>>
>>7975167
>AMPERAGE
'Murikan for "electrical current".
>>
>>7975187
The voltage gives the charge carriers more energy. A higher current means there are more, a high voltage means they want to pass through the air, and through you.
>>
>>7975187
Or you could have units of biting ants charging at a set velocity, and increasing mass for increasing kinetic energy, so bigger ants have more kinetic energy per unit charge
>>
>>7980165
>KILOMETER
Europoor for "distance"
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.