[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the longest amount of time you've spent on a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 1458493237464.jpg (74KB, 500x462px) Image search: [Google]
1458493237464.jpg
74KB, 500x462px
What's the longest amount of time you've spent on a single maths/physics/engineering problem?

Be honest.
>>
>>7973875
Calculating the mass of UR mum
Still on it.
>>
>>7973875

I've been semi-actively working on solutions to the P vs NP problem for the past year or so.
>>
>>7973875
A few weeks on some project assignments.
>>
>>7973875
3 years... Learning rigid body dynamics for trebuchets, writing code to model trebuchets, making up my own optinizqtion methods for trebuchets and then rewriting the code like 5 times because obsessive
>>
>>7974296

What on earth did you need to do that for?
>>
>>7974300
Minecraft
>>
>>7974300
What do you think? He's a siege engineer.
>>
>>7974300
A punpkin tossing competition
Also used it for dynamics class
And to learn scipy...
And because I could not get it to fucking wor
>>
>>7973875
>nobody wants to participate in this thread because they don't want to come across as a brainlet
>>
File: ricky.png (818KB, 590x737px) Image search: [Google]
ricky.png
818KB, 590x737px
>>7974296

This actually sounds kind of cool... Post some stuff about it.
>>
File: image.png (11KB, 560x420px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
11KB, 560x420px
>>7974340
What do you want to know?
I never felt great about the optimization
>>
>>7974350

What were the physics you were trying to capture? Just rigid body dynamics? What was your objective function for optimization and how did you go about setting up the problem? What optimization technique(s) did you use? What tools or programming languages did you use?
>>
>>7973875
isn't bart dick a liito too smal for dickk?
fuck shapshapo
>>
>>7974359
>>7974359
Yeah just rigid body dynamics.
I became fascinated after taking the class and started to try and figure everything little thing out on my own (like contact mechanics in lagrangian mechanics-keeping the sling from falling through the ground)
Also I tried to pick up sone Kanes mechanics and double check answers with newton-euler mechanica
> objective function
Range of projectile wrt 4 lengths (sling, counterweight, dist from pivot to sling and cw)
Originally it was two non-linear odes that fed into each other (one while in the sling, one flying through the air)
I cant remember if I ever used a function to just get range from momentum/position of a potential release point
> techniques
I see a lot of nasty brute force code
I see fmincon function from matlab...wondering why its minimizing not maximizing
> Tools
I originally used MATLAB because thats what our class was using, but eventually switched to python.
There was a weird error I was getting with MATLABs symbolic solver, where what *I think* was happening was that the clipboard was over flowing when copying over my ode. So I kept getting weird answers
Switching to python and letting it write the file fixed that.
Also scipy had a ,then fairly new, mechanics package, so I got to play with that a bit
>>
File: image.png (9KB, 560x420px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
9KB, 560x420px
>>7974403
Forgot another wtf image
>>
>>7974405
Can you possibly share any of your code? I'm very interested in this, sounds cool
>>
my whole life
>>
>>7974490
Thanks dude
>>
>>7974490
>linking personal info on 4chan
>>
>>7974526
D:
>>
>>7974534
Just an fyi you have a picture of your driver's license publicly facing on your Github
>>
>>7974543
Just out of curiosity what is on it that matters?

I dont have a computer so I use git a lot
>>
>>7974574
Varies state to state but with address, name, information about appearance, etc. you can do a lot of stuff to steal someone's identity

Also lots of services to get an account/get info about one require a photocopy of the driver's license to prove identity

Probably not a huge concern but still something you may not want to have that public
>>
>>7973875
I spent 10 straight days trying to prove the Collatz Conjecture before accepting it was pointless with my current knowledge.
>>
>>7974350
That looks exactly like what my 5 y/o nephew draws in paint
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.