[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here been to a math competition? I'm about to go

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (485KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
485KB, 1920x1280px
Anyone here been to a math competition? I'm about to go to one and I don't know what to expect.
>>
I went to one. I got dead last. It was very humbling because I considered myself decent at math.

Fucking Chinese kids lol
>>
yup I did, it was 100 other schools, basic shit, shittiest team, 2 fucking stupid girls on my team. GG WP we lost, they never listened to me.
>>
How do you even study for one? Do I just study everything up until and including DifEq? I am interested in joining one at my school but am not that great at maths.
>>
>>7971816

What competition? IMO?

You may find these links useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvroykxedDw

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3et56_beautiful-young-minds-p1_shortfilms
>>
>>7972916

I'd tell you to study by solving the questions from the previous editions. Major competitions usually compile those in book collections.
>>
I went to a math competition in high school once. The test was out of 40 questions, most of which were pretty difficult. I received a 39/40 but got 4th place preceding the 3 oriental kids in front of me. Tbqh senpai I was pretty miffed.
>>
>>7971816
Not trolling, but seriously, in the future don't bother with that shit.

It doesn't impress on a resume unless you do really well at a well known competition. Even then, its likely not worth it, too much time and effort you could be devoting to real things like school that will land you sweet jobs.
>>
>>7971816
I did some high school UIL my senior year, usually placed 5-10th (out of 40-ish) hardest we did was anti-derivatives, but that was as far as was covered in high school.
>>
>>7971816
It would help if you said what competition you fucking retard.
>>
If you're going to a Putnam-style competition, studying the basics is all you should really need. Those types of competitions more test your intuition and ability to formulate an argument.

In general, looking at previous competition questions and trying to answer them yourself is probably the best way to prepare.
>>
>>7971816

Went to some yeah. It's really free game in terms of what they can ask you - at least that is how I found it.
>>
>>7973084
>It doesn't impress on a resume
>you could be devoting to real things like school that will land you sweet jobs.
Are you serious? You're suggesting this guy not have hobbies that won't go well on a resume?
>>
>>7974414
only a total nerd would choose math contests as a hobby cmon man get a grip
>>
>>7974414
>hobbies
>resume
>implying employers give a shit what one's hobbies are.

Unless those hobbies included the fact that you made big money then they do not care. Schooling, experience through other jobs, and what you know is what they are looking for.
>>
>>7971816
I would expect Math.
>>
>>7973093
Which state m8? I did my last UIL test yesterday and math wasn't as bad, either?
>>
>>7971816
I've been as a spectator back in high school, we had a sick team and non-intellectuals and all sorts of locals would go to watch. A kid on the team a few grades below me was a math prodigy who got academic/media attention for work in representation theory he did as a sophomore -- he's at MIT pursuing a maths degree now I believe.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.