[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will modern medicine/technology ever allow us to be able to see

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: eye.jpg (586KB, 1892x1125px) Image search: [Google]
eye.jpg
586KB, 1892x1125px
Will modern medicine/technology ever allow us to be able to see ultraviolet and/or infrared light?
>>
File: seek-thermal-camera[1].jpg (110KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
seek-thermal-camera[1].jpg
110KB, 960x640px
>>7963703

next
>>
>>7963703

iirc we can already see UV, but our lens blocks it
>>
It's technically feasible. I'd wager they make it eventually.
>>
>>7963703
Even 50 year old medicine allows both already.
Gotta go to bed but if the thread is alive tomorrow I'll give you some fun stories/party tricks.
>>
>>7966156
Bumping to keep this alive. Don't disappoint.
>>
No. UV light maybe, but our rods and cones don't allow us to see any other light, with the exception of UV, which our lens blocks.
>>
>>7963703
You can see infrared by just having your phone in camera mode and looking around. It looks kinda ultra-light purple-ish through the phone.
>>
File: 1445958366270.gif (2MB, 370x208px) Image search: [Google]
1445958366270.gif
2MB, 370x208px
What would be the actual point of seeing UV or IR? I think I read somewhere that our ancestors could see EM fields, now that is something cool. I think I read that burds see EM fields and that's how they know after migration, how to actually return to the same place before they migrated.
>>
Couldn't Claude Monet see the UV light after he had some eye surgery? We could probably perform a similar surgery with our technology to widen the spectrum of visible light in humans.
>>
I read something the other day. I'm on a mobile device with poor internet connection at the moment, so apologies for not going to find it.

The subject (think it was a group of rats, or maybe pigeons) was fitted with an IR detector that simulated part of the brain. The subject developed the ability to "see" and respond to infrared light, in a "tap here for a reward when the light is lit" type situation.

So, probably we could be augmented and our brains would process the extra information. Don't know whether you'd have to carry out the augmentation on young people, though. I believe there are issues with this kind of thing once past early childhood, e.g. an eye covered for several years won't be interpreted properly once uncovered because the architecture to do so hasn't developed.

Source: just pulling this out of the air, sorry. Maybe someone else can add to this.
>>
>>7967579
Stimulated, not simulated.
Clumsy me. Sorry.
>>
>>7967488
i think recently they decided they were doing it visually
but they still have some magnetite in the brain, altho no one knows if that provides any sensory data
>>
>>7967599
*welp turns out i'm wrong and they do, excuse my ineptitude
>>
>>7967599
Why is there no study on people who can sense the earth's magnetic field?

Blindfold me, spin me around and I can always find magnetic north.
>>
>>7967488

>I read somewhere that our ancestors could see EM fields

... You mean light?

Jesus Christ, the ignorance on this board is painful.
>>
>>7966791
>Don't disappoint.
Thanks for believing in me.

UV vision: just remove the lens in the eye and replace with plastic lens without UV filter. You will see UV as an intense blue light and for you the sky will darken later in the evening than the rest of us. However black lights in discos etc will then be intolerably bright.

Near infrared:
some people can see this due to mutation in the receptors.
you can also achieve the same using diet, as was done during WWII. Basically a low vitamin A diet and a replacement vitamin A' variant that extends vision a bit past 700 nm. This is NOT thermal IR.

Fun fact: fighter aces were probably mutants since they survived by spotting the enemy at greater distances than the enemy spotted them. Basically fighter battles were darwinian processes.

These people often complain that pictures and screens do not reproduce the red colour properly. They see more red than we do.

I can see a little into IR and to me it looks like a strange kind of red, very deep red.

Thermal IR:
now this is fun, you can "see" heat, the same way as rattle snakes. Basically the sides of the nose has depressions that are moist (and thus provide cooling), have thin skin and has a lot of sensitive nerves. Close your eyes and slowly pass your palm 1 - 3 cm over your face and sense the heat. Once you have done this you know how to do it. Everyone can after being told. Which in itself is weird, why do we have this ability??

Once you know this you can sense a candle at 1 m distance easily. You might want to wash your face first (no joking).

Looks cool? Got more stories.
>>
>>7968275
Keep posting anon
>>
>>7968275
>your body can sense heat
>now this is fun
>>
>>7968211
hmm just found this
http://www.livescience.com/14694-humans-sixth-sense-magnetic-fields.html
>>
>>7968292
OK, you get one true story before I have to go to bed. Shades of Arabian Nights here perhaps, but keep it alive and I'll post more tomorrow.

Right, so it is a war story, told me when I was a student. So ze Germans wanted to communicate without ze Englender knowing and heff a great idea: replace the light in an Aldis lamp with a UV light "und dann heff ve tricked der Englender, Mwahahaha!"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_lamp

However the British (and do let us include also the Scots, the Welsh etc) have a cunning plan! They search old peoples' homes for retired navy signals operators and within this group search for those operated for cataract. Back then the operation was to remove the natural (and foggy) lens and replace it with a synthetic lens sans UV filters. That came later. So they bring these old timers into the field and lo and behold! they see the German signalling bright and clearly! Germans: foiled again.
>>
>>7964295
Wonder what itd be like to see with the lens off.

I guess everything outside in the day would just be more blue (or violet). Boring.
>>
>>7968253
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>7968559
Electromagnetic radiation is the same thing as light
>>
>>7968398
According to people who can see UV it just makes certain light sources look "brighter"
>>
>>7968559
>>7969203
>ever having to explain this to anyone on /sci/
This place is /b/ after watching Black Science Man and Micho Cuko on PBS for a few hours.
>>
>>7969215
I know, but for some reason this entertains me. Also fuck michio I hate him so god damn much
>>
>>7968321
noice
I love this kind of stories
>>
>>7969215
And you're a cunt. I didn't know this board was exclusive only to PhD holders and top class of uni individuals like yourself. I'm sorry I don't fulfil your expectations.
>>7969203
Thanks for explaining it.
>>
>>7963703
If I remember correctly, I think there is a spectrum in the near IR spectrum in which a lot of clothing is transparent.

On another note, I think all digital cameras are sensitive to this part of the spectrum, except that manufacturers put a small filter in the camera to block this out; so you can "see" a representation of this this part of the spectrum if you want.
>>
>>7969767
More or less true.

You can get the Pi Noir camera for the Raspberry Pi where the IR filter has been removed. Place a visible light filter on top instead and then you are left with infrared image only.

A polished piece of silicon (say, a piece of a wafer) can work as a filter.
>>
>>7969203
>Electromagnetic radiation is the same thing as light
Strictly speaking, and we are on /sci/ here now, this is not identity.

That is: light is necessarily electromagnetic radiation but not all electromagnetic radiation is light. Gamma rays and radio waves are examples of this.
>>
File: TreatedEyes.jpg (59KB, 634x400px) Image search: [Google]
TreatedEyes.jpg
59KB, 634x400px
>>7969630
OK, back again with more wild and woolly tales from the trenches.

First off: DO NOT try this yourself.

Anyways, someone filed a patent application on how to gain night vision using the eyes you were born with.
http://www.google.com/patents/US20120157377

And someone thought this wold be neat to try. Never mind minor details such as the alleged inventor being indicted on 87 counts of health care fraud and distributing unapproved and misbranded drugs and even dabbles in ... woks!
http://hplusmagazine.com/2015/03/30/no-biohackers-did-not-just-discover-eyedrops-that-give-you-night-vision-and-using-them-might-damage-your-eyesight/

So scienceforthemasses plays a riff on this and tests it out. Pic related. Imean if those black eyes do not scare you from trying this I'll offer another observation: the compund seems to make the ears retract into his scull...

Aaaanyways, the test subject alleges to see really well in darkness. Scientists remain unimpressed and rather more concerned about the rather apparent dangers.

Noticeably there have been no new follow ups on this.

OK, that was today's crazy tale. Want more?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.