[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How big would a telescope need to be to be capable of viewing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: gonnabstarstricken[1].jpg (80KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gonnabstarstricken[1].jpg
80KB, 640x480px
How big would a telescope need to be to be capable of viewing the surface of a planet in clear detail? Not just the topographical features of the planet, but down to the grain.
>>
File: 1459111514160.png (906KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1459111514160.png
906KB, 1280x720px
>>7963231
pic related looks like me
ayy lamo
>>
>>7963233
*sigh*
>>
>>7963231
very big
>>
>>7963231
let me guess. You want to see the stuff we left during the moon landings?

Well you need a fucking long telescope. So long, we dont have it and will likely never have it. Not even the Hubble can see with enough detail to see the moon landing shit. The only way so far has been to send stuff into lunar orbit to take pictures "upclose"
>>
>>7963246
actually it simply cannot be done physically. information is scattered and lost, there is no telescope that can recreate detail of a specific resolution from beyond a specific distance.
>>
>>7963251
would add, thats even without something horrible like two atmospheres (one from each planet) in the way.
>>
Angular resolution decreases (gets better) linearly as the area of the telescope increases.

It depends on the wavelength of the light too, but that's constant.

Ask Google:

>"how big of a telescope do I need to see the flag on the moon?"

Answer:

>"The flag on the moon is 125cm (4 feet) long. You would require a telescope around 200 meters in diameter to see it. The largest telescope now is the Keck Telescope in Hawaii at 10 meters in diameter. Even the Hubble Space telescope is only 2.4 meters in diameter."
>>
>>7963271
Also, the Earth's atmosphere is in the way, so you'll either need to put it in space or have really, really good adaptive optics.
>>
>>7963233
So basically Shrek
>>
>>7963231
With a telescope like that he's got to be compensating for something.
>>
File: 1456394266190.gif (123KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1456394266190.gif
123KB, 480x270px
>>7963413
bully
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.