[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My situation: >Math+Physics major >graduating in a year

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: jamesshotguninspection.jpg (124KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
jamesshotguninspection.jpg
124KB, 1920x1080px
My situation:

>Math+Physics major
>graduating in a year
>mediocre GPA
>zero motivation
>will probably do a masters as well

I have no idea what to do after my Masters. I don't think I have what it takes to do research. I lose my motivation and then my grades go to shit every so often. Has been happening forever. It's not a mental issue I can solve.

I also really don't think I would like to be a HS teacher.

I also don't want to be a software developer as I actually did try that for a year and it sucked ass.

What other options do I have?

Some other /sci/fags must have been through this as well, surely. I would really appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Pic unrelated
>>
>>7962909
Do you really expect to get into and graduate from a master's degree with "mediocre GPA and zero motivation"?
>>
>>7962913

It's only technically a "masters". It's just the continuation of my 3 year bachelors. And I'm fine as far as entry requirements are concerned.
>>
>>7962924

But really I'm just buying time. I have no idea what to do.
>>
>>7962926
Start a small business selling some kind of food trendy with rich people (acai bowls?). Seriously, the independence is probably nice.
>>
why not do industry research for the military regarding radars/sensors and so forth? i saw bae systems and the united states army hiring for physics bachelor holders to do shit in various areas. it said that you'd have to be willing to learn a ton of shit because you aren't gonna be doing one research topic. i think you'd like that. i haven't even started my degree, but i'm interested in physics a lot. anyone willing to correct me on the viability of physics in industry research?
>>
>>7962937

You need capital to start any kind of business plus I cannot really afford the risk of having an unstable income. Moreover, if I were to start any kind of business it would be something related to math or programming as those are the areas I'm learned in.

>>7962949

I'm thinking about that though probably not something to do with the military. I know a girl who went to work for a small company where they do scheduling software. It's interesting stuff and complexity theory is one of my favourite fields. But those jobs are rare.
>>
>>7963384
Well, first of all, you should say what kind of job you want to do. Research and software development don't interest you, so that's the two largest employment pools for SM graduates gone. Maybe finance? what kind of job do you like?
>>
>>7962926
1. Continue with your Masters.
2. Research and submit results to a journal.
3. Get rejected.
4. Repeat 2 until paper gets accepted.

Research is not as hard as you make it out to be. And your GPA will matter little if you have a decent research output.
>>
>>7962909

Become a code monkey.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.