[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whilst reading about pain perception in the latest version of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: morphine.jpg (121KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
morphine.jpg
121KB, 500x373px
Whilst reading about pain perception in the latest version of Kandel's Principles of Neural Science I got really confused. I understand that morphine acts primarily on mu receptors, and more so than enkephalins or dynorphins. However, on page 552, the book states:

"The number of mu receptors on alpha-gamma nociceptors, which mediate fast and acuate pain or "first pain", exceeds that on C fiber nociceptors, which mediate slow persistent or "second pain". This may help to explain why morphine is more effective in the treatment of persistent rather than acute pains."

Should it not be the other way around if morphine has preference for mu receptors and mu receptors are more prevalent on alpha-gamme nociceptors? Is this a typo in the book?
>>
>>7960643
It says may. If alpha-gamma nocieptors have more mu receptors that would mean that morphine has a weak signal and isn't processed as efficently in the area with more receptors. The area has low levels of mu and the cells compensate by producing more receptors to increase sensitivity.

C fiber nocieptors have less, which in this context would mean it receives a stronger signal of mu and doesn't need as much receptors.

For more clarification google receptor upregulation and downregulation
>>
It's a typo. Opiates are much more effective on acute pains.
>>
>>7960657
Thank for your answer, that would explain.

>>7960670
Are you sure about that? There are different kinds of opiates.

Also, I apologise to the critical and keen reader - of course I mean "alpha-delta nociceptors" and not "alpha-gamma nociceptors".
>>
>>7960679
Yes, opiates are not very good for chronic pain.
>>
>>7960643

Anon, i'd very much like to talk neurosciene with you. Kandel is my favourite general neuro text.
I've been looking for neuro people to join the /sci/ discord channel for months now.

Here is the invite link. Leave a message there, I check it somewhat regularly

https://discord.gg/0lqbvcXEubLYMdhn
>>
>>7960643
It seems to me that antagonising the few receptors on C-fibres means less EPSPs in C fibres. More morphine would be needed to antagonise Adelta-fibres. If that makes sense?

I would type more but this keyboard broke.

I'll type more when I get on my other laptop.

I'm >>7961709
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.