[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>haha anon actually reads textbooks relating to our major!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: 1401481334342.gif (839KB, 450x402px) Image search: [Google]
1401481334342.gif
839KB, 450x402px
>haha anon actually reads textbooks relating to our major!
>hahahahahaha wow I think he's the only our entire undergrad who does that!

This happened the other day. I'm in my last year of undergrad.

Please tell me this isn't normal
>>
>>7957154
Who cares what those future McDonald's employees say?
>>
>>7957154
It might depend on what the major is. I'm just trying to think why someone would say that.
>>
>>7957157
To be honest they're more likely to get hired than I am

They are women who actually have connections to people industry. I'm an unlikable sperg who is actually competent and has a decent GPA.
>>
>>7957161
Because they're the sort of people who view college as a chore and just something that's expected of them. They don't actually enjoy the field of study or have any intellectual curiosity.
>>
OP, they are kinda right.
Litterature(see what i did there) is quite overrated, I only found course related literature very useful first year as undergrad because everything was new and just attending seminars was not enough.

Just attending seminars and asking questions on lectures is enough to pass.
>>
I should also mention that as a Communications major these textbooks are hard af so I can understand why no one in our major reads these.
>>
>>7957174
It can be sometimes

Like having a lecturer who makss their textbook required reading for a class that only tangentially covers the material in the book
>>
>>7957175
I have a feeling that your post is some kind of elaborate ruse, but what does communications actually deal with?
>>
>>7957154
uhhhh what? if you don't read the book in many STEM majors you'll miss exceptions to rules or examples that professors just love to use on exams
>>
>>7957154
yeah, those are the guys with sub 3.0 GPA's.
>>
>>7957154
Happened to me in my last year as well. Apparently I was the only one who bought textbooks.
>>
>>7957289
Glad to know I'm not alone

I seriously can't comprehend the mentality of these people

Buying textbooks in your field of study is somehow worthy of ridicule.
>>
>>7957174
>st attending seminars and asking questions on lectures is enough to pass.
who cares about that tho?
>>
>>7957317
Yep, worst part about it most of those cunts did better than me, literally just because I fuck my solid state exam. Still I'm not too bitter about it, because I read around physics more I was able to engage with the course much more than everyone else, now I've got an offer to do a masters at a top 20 university. So I feel vindicated.
>>
>>7957154
Do you speak any English fag?!!
>>
>>7957333
y-yes

Why?
>>
>>7957206
This. Like what the hell is this thread? I want to see every nook and cranny of my damn field because I genuinely enjoy it. I go to uni to experience more of my field, I'm not just paying for a piece of paper that looks good to employers.
>>
>>7957358
Right here with you senpai

Your post is exactly how I feel
>>
File: are you.jpg (46KB, 480x690px) Image search: [Google]
are you.jpg
46KB, 480x690px
>>7957165
Don't tell me you're a fucking white male.
>>
>>7957154
>Please tell me this isn't normal
Not at good universities no.
>>
>>7957154
tbf those girls often do a lot more reorganization of notes than i did, or non-textbook reading ( from my experiences in biochemistry )

they are the ones who you wanna study with 2weeks before the end of class cause you'll get to teach them the concepts and they'll often have many particulars memorized from mnemonics
>>
>>7957358
yes. you are. you're just paying for a piece of paper that looks good to employers.

everything else you do has nothing to do with taking a degree.
>>
>>7957154
I had a professor actually tell me to not read the textbook for his class, because it was garbage, and only good for exercises.

The thing cost me like $80.

But it's true, though. Textbooks are mostly shit. Usually, there's a first edition, or a first edition of a another textbook that the first edition of this textbook copied from, that was good, but successive editions loaded it down with mediocre-quality material and rewrote good passages to be hard to understand.

Basically, under the current system, all textbooks trend over time toward being the equivalent of math pages on wikipedia: technically accurate and exhaustively complete but still completely unhelpful.

Here's how it works:
- prof starts teaching new subject for which there is no textbook
- actually talks to the students
- writes textbook to solve real problems caused by the lack of one
- textbook sells well
- profs no longer need to talk to students nearly as much, lose touch with what they actually need
- accumulation of copies of used textbook being passed from student to student
- publisher wants a new edition to drive sales
- job handed to nitpicker who can generate changes he can defend on grounds of technical correctness
- even if a real prof is involved, he hasn't struggled with the problem of teaching without a textbook, so he has no clear model of the problem the textbook is supposed to solve
- value of textbook is seriously eroded
- profs assume new edition is better than old one, but "the students get worse every year!"
- students begin to learn through mysterious process of transmission from previous students, private tutoring, group work, photocopies of old course notes, reverse-engineering of past exams, etc.
- neither profs nor textbooks helpful in learning process any more
- degree less and less an indication of real competence
- degree more and more indispensible in working world
- tuition raised to support another level of administration
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.