[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If there was some genuine contact made between us and an alien

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: articles_1375564548.jpg (31KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
articles_1375564548.jpg
31KB, 800x533px
If there was some genuine contact made between us and an alien intelligence (say they came here and announced themselves somehow), would you believe it was real?
What would it take to convince you it was actually happening?
>>
We've already seen it all. Everything can be cgi'd. It would have to be big; all the major world leaders together in one place with some little green guys but also announcing they had given us a cure for all known diseases, and had genuine nude pics of Emma Watson, that kind of thing.
>>
>>7957139
>We've already seen it all

Wrong.
Don't anthropomorphize extra terrestrials.
99% of aliens you see in sci-fi are basically weird looking humans that have human attributes and human motivations/desires.
It's near impossible to image something completely non-human, and pretty terrifying to be honest.
>>
>>7957228
>pretty terrifying
Skinwalker ranch is a trial run.
>>
>>7957048
For one of them to come down off of a spaceship and say she was here to be my waifu.
>>
>>7957228
If they grew up on a planet and not in a lab, they are bound to grow up in an environment where one has to compete against other races to get resources, hence they might be pretty similar to us, even if they don't look the same.
>>
>>7957751
>they are bound to grow up in an environment where one has to compete against other races to get resources
Conjecture.

>they might be pretty similar to us
Alien life could also be silicon based and flourishing on an asteroidal moon. Or be floating bags of intelligent pus suspended in a viscous liquid medium. There is no reason to assume they will have a genetics like ours.
>>
>>7957781
>Alien life could also be silicon based and flourishing on an asteroidal moon. Or be floating bags of intelligent pus suspended in a viscous liquid medium. There is no reason to assume they will have a genetics like ours.
There is a lot more silicon on Earth than carbon, yet there is not a single silicon-based life form on this planet. Even if they were possible, they'd have to live on a planet much warmer and with a denser atmosphere than earth, but such a planet would most likely not be suited for creating complex technology.
And how the hell is a fluid supposed to be intelligent?
>>
>>7957781
>Alien life could also be silicon based
Fucking hell learn even some basic chemistry. Silicon doesn't form long chains like carbon. Silicon based life is not possible.

Now, that crap aside, consider evolution. My suggestion is that any intelligent life capable of manipulating its environment to the extent of making complex tools (so this rules out crows, octopuses etc) and having highly developed consciousness and social interactions has to be:

>evolved from something which crawled out of a sea on four legs, this being the physical form for best energy efficiency and locomotion
>bipedal, to manipulate tools, various other evolutionary advantages have been suggested for bipedalism
>hence, two arms
>opposable thumbs
>laterally symmetrical arrangement of sense organs for:
>binocular (stereoscopic) vision
>stereoscopic hearing for direction location
>sense organs mounted high for best efficiency, i.e. on the head
>have a head with a large brain

If anyone can suggest any reason why any of these might be different I'd be interested to hear.

Intelligent bags of fluid don't really cut it. Remember, we started out as tiny bags of fluid, single cells, and they found there were some advantages in getting together and becoming multi-cellular. They certainly didn't find any advantage in growing to macro-sized units.
>>
>>7957139
Alien spaceships flew over the White House in 1952 and still nobody believed.
>>
>>7958024

Fucking moron
>>
>>7957798
your brain just barely not a fluid.
>>
>>7960084

Saying that brains are 'pretty much fluid lol' when you're talking about functioning may well be the single most monumentally retarded statement ever witnessed in all of creation.
>>
File: 1457331308054.gif (786KB, 636x400px) Image search: [Google]
1457331308054.gif
786KB, 636x400px
Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proofs.
- science man
>>
File: citation-needed.png (552B, 163x96px) Image search: [Google]
citation-needed.png
552B, 163x96px
>>7957798
>a lot more silicon on Earth than carbon
>>
The only way aliens will contact us is by glassing our worthless planet for shits and giggles much like a child kicks over an anthill out of boredom
>>
>>7960045
Thank you for your valuable input. If you could criticise my post with some actual ideas I would be genuinely grateful, even if you are a dick. I've mentioned these ideas before and no-one has ever had anything rational to say, beyond vague accusations of anthropomorphism. We evolved the way we did for many reasons, and I would really like someone to suggest some other way in which sentient life, capable of manipulating its environment and making complex tools, might evolve.
>>
>>7957781
>The laws of physics are a conjecture.
Energy comes in limited quantity, if you are a living form, you need energy to move/grow/think, so you will have to compete for it.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.