[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't we learn calculus I, II and III in our primary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

File: 6032285__84082019.png (95KB, 246x257px) Image search: [Google]
6032285__84082019.png
95KB, 246x257px
Why don't we learn calculus I, II and III in our primary school/elementary schools?
>>
>>7956383
Because then the dichotomy of rich and poor would expand when brainlets are forced to learn at the same rate as Newton.

Standardized educational systems aren't effective unless they take the middle ground.

Up to the parents to recognize your potential and put you into a private school if they think you're a genius.
>>
>>7956390
Private schools aren't for geniuses. Source: I went to private school. It was full of morons who wouldn't have been able to graduate had the headmaster not cut them some slack at the end of every school year.
>>
There isn't enough time in the school year. Furthermore, other topics of study must also be introduced
>>
File: 1455046028039s.jpg (4KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1455046028039s.jpg
4KB, 125x125px
>>7956390
But isn't that be a way to distinguish people who have potential and people who are brainlets?
>>
>>7956390
in the future we can just genetically engineer everyone to be smart.
>>
>>7956383
Because No Child Left Behind is really No Child Gets Ahead.
>>
>>7956383
Because it is not necessary.

High school goes at a slow pace but that doesn't matter. When are you likely to start getting interest in calculus at your youngest? I'd say that around 15, as that is when I started learning derivation and integration through theorems, didn't even know about the limits after just before college.

When you are 15 you can already read on your own and unless you are literally retarded, odds are you are already reading some fiction books that do nothing but make you dumber.

Throw the Harry Potter saga to the fucking thrash and get your Calculus trilogy.

I remember that there was this fat semi intellectual bitch in my high school who would pride herself for being a 'book nerd'. However, whenever it came to math, physics, and even shit like written essays, she would suck compared to me.

What was the difference? That I had my Calculus .pdfs in my phone instead of the hunger games.

>inb4 public school is shit so no one could even read a Calc I book

Bull fucking shit. The books I had would baby sit me all the way through analytical geometry and trigonometry. I think that all Calculus I books always put a huge chunk of the book to be just about the pre-requisites of calculus.

TL;DR: People are willingly retarded. Nothing we can do.
>>
>>7956673
Unfortunate that people are retarded willingly, what can we do to stop this epidemic?
>>
File: 9780316066525_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg (36KB, 387x600px) Image search: [Google]
9780316066525_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg
36KB, 387x600px
>>7956697
you cannot, this world will be a factory farm producing morons to fuel and maintain the factory engines and feed our masters. we will cover the world in steel and in concrete, their will be an electronic police man in every head. your children will be born in chains, live in anguish and die in ignorance. just look around you, the process is already in it's final stages.
>>
File: 1454539927001.jpg (24KB, 800x440px) Image search: [Google]
1454539927001.jpg
24KB, 800x440px
>>7956707
I don't live in a 3rd world doe...
>>
>>7956697
First include more competitiveness in high school and after that make passing high school harder.

Consider this idea:

Add the extra pre-requisite that to pass high school you must first join at least one mathematics competition and at the very least pass to the third round.

Even if you get perfect grades all around, if you do not meet that requirement then you will not receive your high school diploma.

Or even better, in my opinion:

To graduate high school you must present an advanced exam in any STEM high school class.

That would be: Learning Calculus I, II and differential equations (ON YOUR OWN) and then presenting a test on it.

Or it could be in physics, chemistry or biology too.

Only after passing these advanced exams, on top of getting a passing grade, will you get your high school diploma.

Seriously, just tell people when they are 14 to choose a class and then hand them lists of topics.

That way students would have 4 years to learn Calculus, Calculus II and differential equations. Or advanced organic chemistry for chem, or dissecting monkey anus for biology, etc.

But classes for these topics cannot be held at school, but books will be recommended and ideally given for free to students.

If students cannot pass this requesite they will be given some kind of certificate that will at least allow them to go to a trade school to become plumbers, carpenters or nurses at least.

Then make laws that state shit like: Only people with high school diplomas can legally start businesses and legally hold stocks of a business.

That way if you don't pass the advanced examinations you will forever be a blue collar worker.
>>
>>7956725
no no no

As someone who understands the human animal what I say needs to be done is one thing:

Incentivize.

Human beings respond to their incentives they need a carrot to chase after, a positive reward that exceeds the work the put into it.

What you need is a culture that rewards you with popularity for passing advanced courses.

You could easily "gamify" a currciulum so that every kid had a "facebook" for their school with their grades and extra curricular activities and scores

Constructed in the correct manner, students would associate high scores with popularity and reward each other with sexual favors and peer praise.
>>
>>7956383
Well we do, it is just it in uni it is taken to analysis rather than using formulas with plug and play like in highschool.
>>
>>7956725
what you're saying would just make more kids drop out, they have no reason to even pass high school when they could go get a minimal labor job and start buying video games and going to parties.
>>
>>7956734
Did you read me? There is a big fucking incentive right there.

If you do not pass the advanced examinations you cannot own a business, or hold stocks of a business, making you a lifelong blue collar worker. You can't even go to university without it, under my system.

I would take it even further, saying that people without the diploma cannot own land, vote, etc. but then I run into the problem of appearing authoritarian and politically motivated.

>>7956743
Then they will do so. But a minimal labor job will never make you rich. Actually, it will not even make you stable.

A taxi driver may be able to afford a decent living, but they cannot afford to spend on any luxuries. That is a sad life if you ask me.
>>
>>7956748
>If you do not pass the advanced examinations you cannot own a business, or hold stocks of a business, making you a lifelong blue collar worker.

For a hundred years, there’s been a conspiracy of plutocrats against ordinary people. Don’t believe me? It’s all in the numbers, Number one: In 1945, corporations paid 50 percent of federal taxes. Now they pay about 5 percent. Number 2: in 1900, 90 percent of Americans were self-employed; now it’s about two percent. It’s called consolidation. Strengthen governments and corporations, weaken individuals. With taxes, this can be done imperceptibly over time.
>>
>>7956697
From an early age, set time aside every day for a student to choose something that interests them and research it. Encourage children to write down their questions every time that they think something like "Why is the sky blue?" or "How do cars work?"
Encourage curiosity and creativity, discourage the ridiculous notion that not having knowledge on a subject that you haven't been exposed to makes you stupid. Encourage kids to explain and teach about their findings to other children.
>>
>>7956759
>>7956748

What I'm saying is that "being a business owner" or "holding stock" is not an incentive in the modern age. It ain't worth shit. You either work for big corporate or you can go to hell.
>>
>>7956760
that requires a cultural change. when the kids laugh when one kid asks a "stupid question" the teacher needs to make all the other kids feel stupid for not asking the question first.
>>
>>7956734
>reward each other with sexual favours
Kek
>>
>>7956673
I was only recommend introductory level calculus at 15 and I thought I knew calculus until I got my first uni textbook. Teachers are stupid.
>>
>>7956748
skilled tradesman have the highest incidence of self employment.
>>
>>7956383
To be honest, I really think most (or a significant portion of) people could pick up these topics at elementary school age. The issue is that we don't know how to teach math in a generalized fashion to get students prepared for that type of thinking. We should at least start with algebra being taught in elementary school as the norm, though.
>>
>>7956734
The funny thing is, I imagine gamification could work. But you have to make sure the kids are actually learning and not gaming the system.
>>
>>7957057
I agree
>>
>>7956658
/thread
>>
>>7956383
Because little Johnny still has trouble with fractions so the whole class needs to be stagnated or it's bullying or whatever bullshit parents come up with to dumb down the curriculum.
>>
>>7956673
It's true. Many people claim to be smart but really the things they "study" are time-wasting bullshit with no practical application. Reading fiction is for normies and humanities fags. Smart people read shit tons of NON-fiction. Anytime I meet someone and realize that they either 1) Don't fucking read books or 2) Only read fiction and watch sitcoms, I assume they are a blundering idiot. Haven't been proven wrong yet.
>>
File: 1453957542625.png (291KB, 317x483px) Image search: [Google]
1453957542625.png
291KB, 317x483px
No one has touched the fact that elementary school teachers are just babysitters.How are you going to teach Mrs.Humanities Degree how to differentiate a function or better yet, how are you going to fire her when she's part of a union and has been teaching for 20 years?
>>
>>7957970
fire her with executive override.
>>
>>7956383
Public mandatory education is meant to teach the bare minimum in order to create functioning members of society. If you're not planning on studying in a STEM field after mandatory education then you probably don't need to learn that much calculus, and the school board doesn't want to spend more money to teach it.
>>
Because Calculus is a specialized part of Math where one only needs it for certain fields. Algebra is the most important thing because every person needs it even if they do not realize it. That is why it is focused in middle school and high school.
>>
Because children cannot grasp the complexities of Calculus. Yes, children are far smarter than we give them credit; no, they are not capable of calculating integrals and derivatives. The earliest I'd say is reasonable for the MAJORITY of people is 14/15. Start at Algebra I in 5th grade and go from there.

Calc 1/2 would need to be split into full year courses, and then an individual can choose to take Multivariable/DiffEq in their Junior/Senior years or Advanced Statistics & Probability and then stop their math circuit.
>>
>>7956383
>>7956390
If a kid is that smart they'll just move him up a few grades. This isn't complicated.
>>
>>7959793
Or you know we could teach kids something actually useful for 13 years.
>>
>>7959797
Kindergarten - Basic Counting
1st Grade - Addition and Subtraction
2nd Grade - Multiplication and Division
3rd Grade - Advanced Multi/Div/Add/Sun
4th - Pre Algebra
5th - Algebra 1
6th - Geometry
7th - Algebra 2
8th - Pre Calc
9th - Calculus 1
10th - Calculus 2
11th - Multivariable
12th - Differential Equations

This is the best possible mathemarics curriculum for both fostering intelligent and scientifically minded children while also not confusing the fuck out of them too early. Supplement this with more in depth social science classes (government and politics, history, etc), advanced sciences, and intensive writing courses and you'll have a generation of super students that blow the fuck out of everyone else in every single category.
>>
Why don't we teach the most basic of calculus in elementary school? Surely anyone who has been taught algebra should be able to do differentiation and integration of polynomials.
>>
>>7959803
Where's the trig anon?
>>
>>7959817
I didn't know it was different elsewhere, but Pre Calculus and Trigonometry are taught in the same course at my old high school.
>>
File: smug4.jpg (63KB, 447x400px) Image search: [Google]
smug4.jpg
63KB, 447x400px
>>7959803
Lmao no
Kindergarten: numbers and operations
1st grade: elementary number theory
2nd grade: rings and fields
3rd grade: basic functions and operations
4th grade: calculus + complex variables
5th grade: group theory + representation theory
6th grade: vector calculus + elementary differential forms
7th grade: real + complex analysis
8th grade: functional analysis
9th grade: intro to algebraic geometry
10th grade: intro to topology + algebraic topology
11th grade: intro to manifolds + differential geometry
12th grade: category theory
>>
>>7959803
>mathemarics
>intelligent and scientifically minded children
Math beyond "Algebra 2" is useless for 98% of people. Teach kids how to think for themselves and how to make and build things if you want a nation of geniuses. The ones who want or need higher maths will seek it out.
>>
>>7959822
That's why in my original post I offered alternatives such as statistics and probability for those that did not want to continue in mathematics. Of course while that is the ideal, there will always be those kids who cannot keep up. Those will be the ones taking the current math circuit which ends with Calc 1 in senior year. Not only that, but I definitely said to include more social science and elective courses since well rounded individuals are far more valuable than calculation machines.
>>
>>7959820
Oh, my highschool was already divided in semesters, so the last math I had before Calculus was specifically called trigonometry.
>>
>>7959803
More like a higher rate of dropouts who couldn't graduate due to failing the 8th grade because of Math. Kids now barely pass Algebra.
>>
>>7959815
Because calculus is useless unless you're going to areas that apply Calculus.
>>
>>7959841
If you get someone into the habit of doing something early on, they'll be able to do more advanced versions of that thing far easier than if they started later. Say for instance playing an instrument. Little Billy thay learned how to play the cello at 7 will have a far easier time learning advanced pieces than littlr Suzy who staryed when she was 13, even when they are comparatively at the same level. It shapes the way the mind sees connections and allows them to grasp further, continued concepts in that area easily.
>>
>>7957057
The earliest you can learn algebra here without any extra courses is 7th grade here in La. Mostly everyone i know breezed right through algebra so i believe we all could've done it during elementary.
>>
File: Nice one mayne.jpg (52KB, 600x509px) Image search: [Google]
Nice one mayne.jpg
52KB, 600x509px
>>7959797
Like sitting in your basement and making cod videos?
>>
Realtalk: I could see issues arise in explaining limits to elementary schoolers (basic to us, yes, but the simplest things are the hardest to teach), but I'm absolutely convinced you can get kids who aren't actually mentally disabled at least halfway through algebra 1, and definitely through exponents, PEMDAS, etc. before 6th grade. You could extend things further with some strategic cuts to other subjects, but going into that would say more about my biases than anything.

>tfw half of 5th grade was copying down questions from a powerpoint

>>7959795
At least in my district it was exceedingly rare for anyone to skip a grade except maybe 12th grade if you didn't do free periods and shit like that. You have to go pretty out of your way to do it, teachers don't go to the principal or district saying "this kid's a genius, move them up."
>>
>>7956734
>reward each other with sexual favors

As much as I enjoy the concept of 7th grade me getting blown by chicks in my pre-algebra class, I rather doubt that.

>>7956759
NSF pls.
>>
>>7956383

Why would we do that when only about 50% manage to get a C grade at GCSE?

Some of you are retards.
>>
>>7959822
As sensible as this sounds on paper, pretty much every attempt at teaching "soft skills" I've been through in school was a complete waste of time.

>take health class in middle school
>mostly drugs r bad talks and fluff like "balancing kinds of health" that breaks the instant you think about it
>take character ed
>glad I took up because teacher was a bro who taught us how to play blackjack and showed us Andy Griffith episodes, but those were the teacher not the class
>>
>>7962070
In my experience the teacher makes all the difference. Raising the quality of the teachers is probably more important than trying to change the curriculum, I would think.
>>
>>7962060
Those people are just lazy, GCSE maths isn't even remotely hard.
>>
>>7956383
>Why don't we teach children calculus before teaching them arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and trigonometry?
>>
>>7963735
They should be able to breeze through that
>>
>>7956399
yeah this is the same lie as, "don't touch da richman's dolla he earned he noe bettah,". I'm so sick of it.
Social Darwinists are pitiable.
>>
>>7963578
Teachers tend to be higher quality in private schools. This, to me, is the main appeal of Private high schools, as opposed to those that look like the Cantina scene from Star Wars.

Public employees are very very difficult to fire for lack of performance. They don't have much motivation to try.

Private schools can ax their staff if they fuck around.

>>7956383
Because the dindus, niggers and white trash retards drive our average IQ down to 91 in this country. I can barely tolerate someone with a 100, they seem so slow and dense. Not even trying to be mean in saying this, I can't fathom what goes on in their heads...
I got into uni at 16, everyone else in the honors courses I left behind were ok. Then the other 80% of my graduating class was learning grammar for the 70th time.
>>
>>7959838
>well rounded

STOP
FUCKING STOP

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH TIME AND MONEY HAVE BEEN WASTED ON 'WELL ROUNDED' BULLSHIT??

WHILE ON A LIMITED TIMEFRAME, I WAS FORCED TO TAKE 45 CREDITS IN 2 YEARS OF BULLSHIT THAT WOULD NEVER EVER BE USEFUL TO ME, ON TAXPAYER'S DIME.

ALSO WASTING MY TIME FROM FOCUSING ON PRECALC, CALC 1, PHYSICS, CHEM- IMPORTANT SHIT

THERE'S A PLACE FOR GOOD ROUNDED EDUCATION.
FUCKING WIKIPEDIA
>>
i want to fuck that baton twirler

also why would you want to learn calculus? if anything we should get topology and other stuff that isn't as hands on so we can actually get our brains used to thinking about shit. calculus is more for adults who want to make a screw 1mm thinner while being paid six figures.
>>
>>7956760
But some people just dont care why the sky is blue.
>>
>>7964012
People, anon. Not children.
Most children have lots of questions about the world around them, at least at first, and we need to encourage that. Encourage thinking and questioning.

"Mommy, why are those scary guys taking the Rabbi away?"

"Don't question it child, everyone else supports it so it can't be wrong."

I imagine this is what it is like in a lot of hood schools and the *shudders* south.
>>
File: 1445440550375.jpg (86KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1445440550375.jpg
86KB, 900x900px
>>7956748
>under my system.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.