[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the deal with the "logical" or "intelligent"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: social-skills.jpg (27KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
social-skills.jpg
27KB, 500x200px
What's the deal with the "logical" or "intelligent" side of thinking being reserved by personalities claimed to be isolated, antisocial, and/or hermit-like?
My psych 101 class just finished a personality unit and it was hammered into our minds that "antisocial people are almost inherently more logical, whereas more bubbly, social people are are less logical and rely on emotional reasoning."
I went to a leadership conference as well that taught us to divide people in leadership four ways, two of which were the contrasting "social butterflies who don't contribute a whole lot" (they heavily implied the latter part of that statement countless times) and "the more soft-spoken, isolated leader who is a genius."

I'm sick of people using these studies and claims however to justify antisocial or irresponsible behavior. People act as though if you have people skills and are sociable, you're less logical than a person who spends much less time around people.

Where does /sci/ stand? How many hermits do we have on here (this is 4chan so probably a high rate)?
>>
>>7953968
People forgo reason to be liked. Look at secularists, instead of them arguing against the irrationality of faith they adopt this bullshit co-exist bullshit to avoid conflict.
>>
Math grad here, doing pretty well.
This year I tried to go hermit mode (no roommate, go home after class/work) and I thought it worked pretty well. I am fairly introverted and I don't really like to have people in my place when I don't want them there. That being said, I'm particularly antisocial, I do enjoy talking to people, parties (if I have friends with me) etc. I just don't like having people at home all the time.
I don't think the other people who came in the same year as I did are particularly antisocial either.
Many are somewhat introverted but not to the point of shutting everyone out: They have friends they see regularly, they talk to people etc. Some are also involved in the student association and plan parties and other events.
>>
>>7953968

Jeez you seem like a butthurt social butterfly.

Anyway what leadership workshop is this, that seems strange there are plenty of antisocial folks that are just idiots.
>>
>>7953968
>I'm sick of people using these studies and claims however to justify antisocial or irresponsible behavior.
Those statements weren't value judgements so they weren't 'justifying' antisocial behavior. You're just taking the connotation of words in factual (whether true or false) statements and extrapolating into things that weren't said. (Insert bantz about how if you weren't an illogical social butterfly you might have recognized this.)

I'm as biased as anyone else who is going to respond to this but my immediate reaction is that the average person is dumb and emotional so if you are logical and get annoyed by fallacious reasoning you're not going to want to be around them. I've known smart people who are much more extroverted than me so I don't think introversion is a necessary condition for intelligence, but I'd totally believe there's a correlation.
>>
The other day I saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAdvcmogGwI

I was looking into info on why the hell I'm so damn literal. I asked Google and the first forums talked about Aspergers. Then I saw this guy's video. From what I understand he says that most normal people focus on "socialization, emotional, and executive function" where as people with Aspergers focus on "Sensory, awareness, and focus".

I think I'm just way to analytical and I'm being increasingly literal. I speak to people and shit and when I ask a question they ask as if I "meant" something else. I swear I'm like the question I asked was not answered correctly. They'll assume I meant some other shit I didn't even say if you dissect my question and I basically just wasted my fucking time. I ask questions in a very direct "what I say is what I mean" way because there is a specific piece of information I'm getting too and it just backfires. I don't know HOW to communicate in the manner other people do. I don't think I'm a genius because of that but I do think other people are stupid for not being able to answer my questions when I ask them. I can answer theirs just fine.
>>
>>7954014
communication is a skill. being shitty at it is not an indication of intelligence.
>>
Lies, damned lies, and statistics. It's a good indication that when you look for trends, and make generalisations from research and stats you are ignoring part of your population.

Karl Popper said science is about deciding what you can leave out.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.