[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is becoming/being a neurosurgeon really as difficult as people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: BrainSurgery.jpg (83KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
BrainSurgery.jpg
83KB, 500x333px
Is becoming/being a neurosurgeon really as difficult as people make it out to be? In relation to other medical careers, notably those in surgery, how much more challenging in it?

I really want to pursue a career in this, or at least some branch of neuroscience. I don't want to solely because of "m-muh $400k+/year salary" but more-so because I have a very strong interest in the brain and its functions and want to learn about it more in-depth.

I don't want to go into psychology or psychiatry because I feel as though that is too far in the social sciences category. I want to learn about the chemistry and anatomy of the brain as well as how to fix it.

So, again, is it that hard?
>>
>>7953885

Neurosurgeons are relatively few and far between in relation to the majority of physicians. Residency and Fellowship positions are highly competitive, and is what people mean by "really difficult". It does carry the highest risk of malpractice out of most fields of medicine, as even the slightest mistake or poke in the wrong place and career game over.

Objectively though, I don't see how it would be any more "difficult" than most other surgeries.
>>
>>7953885
Subquestion:
Now that I'm almost set on pursuing this, I really want to conduct my own research--it's just difficult to come up with ideas for what I want to research specifically as there are just so many possibilities. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

>>7953908
Is it seriously career game over for something so small? I guess that makes sense if you killed or sent a person into a coma over a stupid mistake but I didn't realize that it was as unstable as you described.
>>
>>7953908
1- Brains of a doctor
2- Hands of an athlete

If looking at OPs pic doesn't baffle you already then I guess it's worth a shot, but that is a highly delicate operation
>>
>>7953928
Good ways to strengthen hands for something like this? And/or make them more steady?
>>
>>7953885
how about you use google for elementary questions like that

all the answers are there for you to find out/ I'll give you a few answers off the top of my head since im feeling generous:

4 years bachelor
3 years med school
internship/residency/specialization neurology/specialization surgery/ specialization neurosurgery

about 14 years in total of after school education to start work as a neurosurgeon

you better be at the top 20% of your class academically in school to even consider it. Neurosurgery is also the most competitive field of all in medicine

>>7953932
how about you stop worrying about trite shit and start studying right now, or you'll never make it

rather you know what forget about it you'll never make it. You have to be 14 years old and get out of 4chan right now if you want to have any chance, presuming you have 100 other indicators already on green
>>
>>7953925

>Now that I'm almost set on pursuing this, I really want to conduct my own research--it's just difficult to come up with ideas for what I want to research specifically as there are just so many possibilities. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Novel, I mean TRULY novel neurology research, let alone any medical research, is difficult without basing your hypotheses on already existing paradigms. By all means though, go for it. No idea what has and has not been done though, so no ideas here.

>Is it seriously career game over for something so small? I guess that makes sense if you killed or sent a person into a coma over a stupid mistake but I didn't realize that it was as unstable as you described.

I mean, this is the CNS we're talking about. We don't even have a complete grasp on how the fuck the majority of it works in the first place. Consider it this way: we know what regions of the brain perform specific tasks, however when it comes down to the highly specific sub regions, it gets hazier and hazier. Is that slice going to make this guy forget his psychotic PTSD delusions, or is it just going to make him forget his grandmother's cat's name?

>>7953928
I have a pretty good working knowledge of anatomy and physiology, I'm in my first year of medschool. However, you think I'm going to reach my hands in there? fuck no.
>>
Surgeons in general tend to have this mindset that is typical of your INTJ. Everything is exact, every aspect of your life is done with precision and coordination. Every decision in your life you make is calculated. The world is the chessboard and your life is the chess piece. You'd be surprised how many skilled physicians are sociopaths.
>>
>>7953935
By top 20% you mean college right?

I'm graduating high school ranked in the top 2% of my class but I'm pretty sure HS is irrelevant when we're talking about another 14 years.
>>
>>7953941
Very. A lot of top 10% I met during my undergrad weren't top in high school and vice versa.
>>
>>7953940
>MBTI
Ya ok pop-psych man.

INTJ's the right way to describe the traits. Anyone actually being an INTJ is debatable.
>>
>>7953944
Interesting. Do people just get cocky or is college just a lot better measure of intelligence and/or worth ethic?
>>
>>7953946
Hahahaha no i'm just as skeptical of it
>>
>>7953940
Did you read that on a Facebook page or something
>>
>>7953948
I think in college being inherently intelligent doesn't get you as far as determination does. Take that as you will.
>>
>>7953940
Please tell me this isn't entirely true.
I wish this "you have to be antisocial to think logically" meme would stop. Some of the most intelligent, presumably logical people I've known are also pretty darn sociable and easy to get along with.

Could it perhaps be that antisocial people or INTJ's just go around spouting off the justification for their lack of people skills being that "a-at least we're smart!"
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.