[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can gravity be real if so many physicists say that they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: gravity.jpg (213KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
gravity.jpg
213KB, 1200x900px
How can gravity be real if so many physicists say that they don't get it?
>>
>>7951250
>physicists say that they don't get it
wat
>>
Jayden Smith, is that u?
>>
>>7951250
gravity isn't reel. Our minds perceive gravity because our bodies can't comprehend reality.
>>
>>7951250
Lol
>>
>>7951250
Gravity isn't real. It's just things falling down. There is no mystical force named "gravity".
>>
>>7951250
Not understanding something doesn't make it not real.
>>
Gravity is 4D acceleration acting on the 3D plane.
A 2D person would feel a force acting on them if you accelerated them in the 3rd dimension but wouldnt be able to pinpoint where the acceleration was coming from.

Obviously deformation in spacetime material is due to inertia of mass under acceleration and larger objects will deform spacetime more because they have more inertia.

Rather than using the flat sheet analogy as stationary, imagine having a flat sheet held vertically, and having a bowling ball and an orange on the sheet. If you constantly accelerate the sheet, the bowling ball will depress the sheet more than the orange
>>
>>7952539
Is this true? I don't know if I should bother trying to understand it.
>>
File: wallpaper_04.jpg (769KB, 960x800px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper_04.jpg
769KB, 960x800px
>gravity makes sense general relativistically
>qm explains the opposite effect
The only "scale" we "don't get" is infinitude. Which doesn't actually exist in some sense. So quantum gravity or not, we have the ability to explain the microcosmos as well as the macro with extreme certainty. So what then?
>>
>>7952559
Not really.

As a better analogy, consider a row of cars, travelling together down parallel straight roads. The dimension perpendicular to the roads is "space'; forwards along the roads is "time."

If we put hills and dips under the roads, so that they curve around and are different lengths, then the cars will stop being lined up as they travel along - some will wind up ahead of other cars, or behind them, or their roads will curve towards each other and they'll get closer.

This is what is meant by "gravity is curvature in space-time." Since all objects, in the absence of an outside force, follow straight-line trajectories, and motion in a free-fall frame is locally indistinguishable from constant straight-line inertial motion, we can incorporate gravity by simply defining space's structure (in the presence of mass) so that "straight lines" converge and bend in ways that point masses traveling along them will accelerate and converge appropriately.

Einstein never considered what he'd done to be anything more than a useful mathematical tool - like Maxwell describing the electromagnetic field as a vector field permeating space based on nearby electric charges and currents, he had described the gravitational field as a *metric*, a tensor field permeating space and describing how times and distances were measured to other points.

If you wanted to, you could equally construct *Newtonian* gravity in curved space-time. Heck, you could construct a theory of *electromagnetism* where the electromagnetic field was secretly curved spacetime, in much the same way.*

However, as soon as you try to describe more than one field at once as curved space-time, you need to start introducing extra dimensions to have enough ways for it to curve in, and now you know why string theories need 11 dimensions.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_descriptions_of_the_electromagnetic_field#Classical_electrodynamics_as_the_curvature_of_a_line_bundle
>>
>>7952621
so , if we could bend this "road" downhill , we could travel at any speed?
of if we could make a tunnel into this montains , we could do wormholes?
>>
>>7951250
yo
how is math is real if everyone just dont get that shit?
>>
>>7952853
Math isn't real though.

It's just a description.
>>
>>7952507
This. If you think the earth is round, you truely are lost.
>>
How can I be real if I don't get myself?
>>
>>7951250
Some stuff in the universe are bigger than science
>>
How can OP be real if he's a faggot?

q.e.d. motherfucker.
>>
File: 1458283443424.gif (58KB, 132x140px) Image search: [Google]
1458283443424.gif
58KB, 132x140px
>>7951250
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_TdmN9MCOQ

>believing gravity is real

good goyim, good...
>>
>>7953135
This made me angry. Good job.
>>
not getting something makes it more real idiot
>>
>>7951250
gravity is a human creation , like tiiiiiime
>>
>>7953254
gravity is a social construct
>>
Pfff, the gravitists and action-at-a-distance forces!
>>
>>7951250
How can pussy be real if [math] you [/math] don't get it?
>>
Gravity is just a theory u guise. Why only last week i found myself floating off into space.
>>
File: 1455885761411.jpg (78KB, 640x397px) Image search: [Google]
1455885761411.jpg
78KB, 640x397px
>>7951250
>How can gravity be real if so many physicists say that they don't get it?

We really need a /sarc/asm science board, to contain the Poe's law shit.
>>
Guys, laws of physics are breaking down. Really, just yesterday we had this fellow telling that he saw from the helicopter that the earth is not moving anymore and now gravity is failing. Tell everyone!
>>
>>7953185
>I don't understand God, therefore God is real.

You fucking what?
>>
If gravity is real, then how birds can fly?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.