[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you take notes? I'm in third year EEng lectures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

How do you take notes?

I'm in third year EEng lectures where the profs use like, 70% lecture slides, but the 30% is shit they say that you won't know off just the slides, and examples on the board, and little hints and notes that you should know.

Clearly I should be focusing on the 30% and listening, but not copying down the 70% but what's the ideal way to do that? I've tried printing out the slides and writing on them but desu that really doesn't work for me, I've always ran out of room.

I have like, pencil, and black pen, and colored pens, and highlighters, and sectioning a la Cornell methods, but I have no idea how to combine it in a way that works for me. What do?
>>
>>7948023
Hi, 2nd year Pre-med fag here. I recommend asking your professor permission to record the lectures. That way you can take notes from the slides and examples in class, and in between class transcribe the information that wasn't included from the literature. If s/he doesn't allow you to record, I would take notes of the "30%", examples, etc., then print out the slides after class and read them over, adding important details from those to the notes.

Personally, I use black ink for regular note taking, blue ink for examples/tips, and red ink for corrections. Never tried the Cornell system so I can't really help with that.

My notes go as:

1) Name, Class, Date
2) Chapter Title
A) Section Title
i) Regular notes.
ii) Examples
iii) Additional information that could be useful.
B) Section Title
i) Regular notes.
ii) Examples
iii) Additional info

Each new chapter gets a fresh page. Printable tables, graphs, notes, etc. get labeled with the chapter no. and section no., and are placed at the end of that corresponding chapter.

It's incredibly simplistic, yes, but sometimes simplicity saves tons of time.

On the subject of highlighters, I don't particularly care for them unless I'm using them in a textbook, I find highlighters to make pen ink and graphite to smudge.
>>
File: 2016-03-21 18.17.10.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-21 18.17.10.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>7948086

I have a professor who, in her slides, has a little symbol of a blackboard at certain parts indicating these are done strictly in class and nowhere else. Can't really record those, but I could ask for that too, maybe.

Your notes structure, is that for rewriting/revision, rather than lecture notes? My main struggle right now is perfecting by ability to take notes at lectures. Lately I've just been randomly getting depressed mid-lecture for various reasons, often because I get behind in what I write down. The most helpful thing for me right now is streamlining an approach so I can actually make sure my notes end up looking like the left, instead of the right which is when I just straight up checked out and could not function in that class.

Thank you kindly for taking the time and effort to write that response.
>>
>>7948125

Those notes look fucking useless to me.
>>
>>7948127

That's why I'm here, dipshit. Every set of lecture notes for a day looks different because I keep trying new things that may possibly work for me. I was trying to display neatness and composure, not usefulness.

Do you have literally any perception skills?
>>
I can't take notes because I distract myself and don't pay attention
>>
>>7948125
My notes structure is primarily for lecture notes, but can be used for more detailed revisions/rewritings.

I call the structure in >>7948086 "Information Indexing", which is designed to be fast, easy to follow, and able to be constructed seamlessly throughout the lecture.

The best part about this structure is at the end of the semester, you can create a table of contents for the notebook, thus "indexing" it, making it useful for refreshers/future reference.

Also, your professor sounds like she's trying to be too complicated for no reason. She sounds weird. One of [math]those[/math] professors.

I actually think you can keep using the Cornell paper with the Information Indexing system I concocted. My golden rule is to have my notes structured such that someone who's never taken the course can follow along to some degree (obviously they can't completely understand since they would've never taken the course, but you get the idea). Margins are a great tool, though I use margins mostly for organic chemistry structures.

And you're welcome, Anon! /sci/ is filled with mostly chucklefucks who will instead criticize you for your major rather than giving you help with your problem, so it feels good to help out.
>>
>>7948149

I asked about the application of your notes because I found it hard to imagine myself being able to estimate how much space to need for each section on a page, as a class's notes won't go in that order.

Do I devote a page to each i, ii, and iii? Do I have three+ pages I'm constantly adding to?

Trying to come up with subsections in the moment seems frantic, unless I misunderstand what you mean.

I couldn't possibly give you a throwaway to discuss further, could I? You're absurdly kind and pleasant to talk to.
>>
>>7948157
Using Information Indexing, the amount of paper you will fill depends solely on how large the chapter is. You can choose to devote a page to each i, ii, and iii if you think that it suits you better, but it's not necessary.

Unless I know I'll need room for examples, I usually just keep things fluid, meaning that if the regular notes take up have a page, I'll just continue on the next line or two with examples.

Standby, I'm writing a sample page that will hopefully help you understand better! And I like that, absurdly kind. I think I'll start using that.
>>
File: image.jpg (169KB, 750x996px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169KB, 750x996px
>>7948157
>>7948198
Here's the sample paper, senpai

I hope you can read it.
>>
>>7948259

friend that was my awkward attempt to make internet friends with you but thank you for the page anyway.
>>
>>7948268
Well of course I'll be your internet friend, sillypants!
>>
Y'all don't know how to take notes. The key point when taking notes is being neat and organized. If it isn't a pleasure to read what you write then you will not do as good as you could otherwise.

I personally use a Rhodia dotpad (good for graphing, writing, and sketching), a twsbi extrafine fountain pen (I never erase shit, I want to see what mistakes so I can avoid them), and a mechanical pencil for graphing and other shit that has to look neat so that I can erase.
>>
>>7948285

mendicant () protonmail.com

then i will probably just delete the thread because it was more a selfish thing than a "let's make a thread for /sci/" thread and I feel content with what I got out of it.
>>
>>7948300
I have emailed you.
>>
File: frogilla.jpg (147KB, 990x599px) Image search: [Google]
frogilla.jpg
147KB, 990x599px
>>7948285
>>7948268
This is nice.

There's one faggot on sci recently that's shitting up every thread with vitriol and its nice to see some decency here.

Btw, if that guys reading this, fuck you, I know its you everytime I read your stupid replies.

>>7948298
Rhodia is godtier. Wish it was a little cheaper so I didn't have to use it with such a guilty feeling.
Pilot G-2 crew here. Could never use fountain pens as a lefty. Pilot dries just fast enough.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.