[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you separate a solid from a liquid using distillation, would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 15613510051.jpg (103KB, 554x317px) Image search: [Google]
15613510051.jpg
103KB, 554x317px
If you separate a solid from a liquid using distillation, would the amount of solid left over be exactly how much solid went into the mixture initially? It would probably depend on what the mixture actually is. For example, if it were perfectly dissolved sugar-water, would there be exactly as much sugar left after distillation as went in? What about coffee? If you distilled coffee, you wouldn't be able to tell exactly how much coffee grounds were used in making the coffee, could you? Coffee is made up of molecules drawn out of the grounds, so there would be a little bit of difference there, right?
>>
>If you separate a solid from a liquid using distillation
>solid from a liquid
>distillation
>>
>>7948020
look up how instant coffee is made OP, get ya mind blown
>>
roughly
>>
>>7948020
do you have any mental disorders?
>>
>>7948020
Well if you knew steep time, size of coffee granules and type of coffee you may be able too with some research and a small grant.

But you could determine the total weight of coffee grounds before making coffee and after making coffee(and being dried). That would determine the total amount of coffee in solution.

The problem is purifying just water from that cocktail would require some major filters to work. Distillation I understand you are using in terms of an alchemist but truly that is not the right word in an actual sense. I would attempt to separate the coffee into an organic layer and then evaporate off the organic layer, if it's hopefully inert and low boiling point.
>>
>>7948039
It's possible. Why do you ask?
>>
>>7948045
Ok, could this work? Say you have the used coffee filter with the wet grounds still in it. Could you just separate the water from that to see exactly how many coffee grounds went into the mixture? I'm trying to create the perfect cup of coffee here.
>>
>>7948030
Interesting, but not all that relevant to what I'm asking.
>>
File: wtf did i just read.jpg (15KB, 385x206px) Image search: [Google]
wtf did i just read.jpg
15KB, 385x206px
>>7948020
>If you separate a solid from a liquid using distillation
>>
>>7948049
Ahh yes then. Measure the coffee grounds before extraction and after. I would suggest maybe
1) drying the shit out of your coffee grounds
2) make the cup of coffee, extracting
3) drying the shit out of them again
4) To get the most analytically accurate measurement you will also probably need a really good scale.
If you aren't THAT worried just leave em out at room temperature for a day or so then measure again because it should have equilibrium with the moisture in the air so the water change from the original should be minimal.
>>
are you trying to cook meth wtf bro
>>
>>7948152
it wouldn't be the perfect cup of coffee without meth now would it
>>
>>7948158
coffee already has meth bro
methylxanthine :^)
>>
bumpu desu
>>
>>7948020
First of all
>distillation
Distillation separates two liquids.

It just depends on the solid. In general most things in solution will not vaporize significantly. I'm souls you could find some examples of solids that vaporize partially though. Just have an appreciation for the fact that it could happen, even if it's unlikely.
>>
>>7948492
Let's not forget about muh azeotropes n shiet.
>>
>>7948020
fractional distillation would be the best method however it depends on the solvent and whether the solid and liquid are miscible, plus im pretty sure you the distillate will never be 100% pure
>>
>>7948020
>there would be a little bit of difference there, right?
Only under imperfect distillation. True distillation becomes impossible when the solid and liquid share a chemical basis.
>>
>evaporating a solvent to recover the solute (in solid form) does not qualify as "distillation"

I'm entering my third quarter of o-chem and was not aware of this distinction. What would you call this process, then?
>>
>>7948712
....evaporation? drying???

no distinction needs to be made

I think it's kind of like saying freezing water to get ice is a form of recrystallizing it... not really a necessary distinction
>>
>>7948020

Solid will only leave the vessel/vial whatever if
- The solid has a low melting point, and therefore exerts a miniscule (though observable) vapor pressure while liquid
- The solid sublimates at the boiling point of water

Note - if you're boiling coffee in a pot to remove the water and get pure grounds, you must be very careful not to overheat once the water is gone. If you let it keep heating, there's a chance the coffee will undergo combustion (not necessarily with a visible flame) and you end up losing some mass (Cx + O2 > xCO2 + H20)

to avoid this, you should remove the last bit of wet coffee from heat and let the remaining water evaporate/dry naturally
>>
>>7948026
>distill off all the liquid
>solids remain
>>
>>7949284
>>7949265
>>
>>7949291
all that says is that another term is also applicable and possibly more commonly used, not that it's wrong to call it a distillation
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.