[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the scientific reason why you shouldn't kill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: Knot.gif (2MB, 1200x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Knot.gif
2MB, 1200x1050px
What's the scientific reason why you shouldn't kill yourself right now?
> hard mode - no evolutionary psych bs
>>
who would fuck your mother if i did that?
>>
>>7947965
>what's the scientific reason why you shouldn't kill yourself

Well if you're taking evolutionary psychology, or psychology in general, out of the mix, I suppose there isn't one.

You could make a point about the biological drive to survive and reproduce, but then you're getting into purpose - putting a human meaning/concept behind an inherent biological function. So that's kind of a no go.
>>
>>7947971
i still would
>>
File: 1439604733749.png (72KB, 374x279px) Image search: [Google]
1439604733749.png
72KB, 374x279px
>>7947971
>/sci/ is for serious discussion
>>
>>7947965
Why don't ants kill themselves? Why don't bees? Why don't apes?

Even without our "higher thinking psychological reasons", there is something simply biological about staying alive. As animals we try to survive, reproduce, and better our children's lives for future generations.

We just do it so God damn slowly in comparison to other animals that there's a bunch of garbage between spouts of being useful.

A better question is why don't we kill everyone over the age of 60 or so? You're useful for nothing at that point.
>>
>>7947965
To increase utility as a functioning part of the whole of humanity. Despite not being able to reproduce I am capable of increasing the likelihood of the expression of what my mental calculations determine to be favorable phenotype. Also killing oneself reduces time capable for eating ice cream and my addiction to serotonin and dopamine are pushing me to not kill myself because I want to eat ice cream.
>>
>>7948024
>>7948028
I understand that the natural urge is to keep living in all living things, but humans are pretty different.
We have much much more ability to self reflect and think critically, whether this be for better or worse.
So instead of having arguments based in biology, pretend you're a completely unbiased watcher of yourself. What reason could this watcher come up with for you not committing suicide?
>>
>>7948041
The problem is you think humans are special. We aren't, if you learn enough facets of biology it might make more sense I'll attempt to explain. Humans have just created abstractions of those same basic stimuli that rule most of the animal kingdom. We just happen to have formed the most sophisticated network. This can be observed by simply looking at all the animals the world over and cataloging different methods of interaction. We have this ability to think critically and as such we are better at determining our own behaviors and self-modulate allowing for extremely sophisticated versions of these same behaviors. But if you reduce it all down, we want a certain chemical or mental framework that will produce said chemical. We are all addicts to life, we can choose to stop it but there isn't much reason too cause it'll stop anyways at some point and our brain reinforces the fact that it wants this "thing". Heck if you want to look up the researcher at stony brook who researched resuscitation medicine. Got a man alive after 24 hours successfully with little to no brain damage. He records how the brain works during these states and determined as a side note that suicide victims invariably report negative terrifying images of the underworld, while the group with non-self inflicted had heavenly nice ones. We fear death and pain, this fear is as deeply instinctual as well as reinforced time after time during life. Try to bite your finger, it takes the force you would need to eat a carrot but you can't get the strength to do it.

So basically we are addicts who like good drugs and hate bad drugs. If we get enough bad drugs, in the right situations, we may say it's not worth it and off themselves but even then the body will create another layer of reinforcement if it survives the attempt.

The reason why the person typing this does not kill themselves is because they have more good drugs then bad drugs and the mental framework opposed enough to it.
>>
File: 1457656576138.jpg (337KB, 546x765px) Image search: [Google]
1457656576138.jpg
337KB, 546x765px
>>7948019
>/sci/entist spreading my greentext for me
>>
>>7948041
Given your criteria, what reason would the observer see FOR committing suicide? If there is no meaning to your continued to existence, then there is also no reason to end it from an objective standpoint.
>>
Suicide is a waste of information.
>>
You are approaching this from the nihilist perspective, which is extremist and which cannot be argued against. Try rephrasing the question to something that can be answered in scientific reasoning, or expect philosophical debates with no clear, objective answers.
>>
My parents would be sad. It's the only thing stopping me.
>>
>>7947965
quantum suicide, you cant kill yourself because there is always a universe where you dont
>>
File: le annoyed froge.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
le annoyed froge.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>>7948093

/thread

>mfw OP asks us to produce "scientific reasons" for normative propositions
>>
>>7948024
>As animals we try to survive, reproduce, and better our children's lives for future generations.
you do see that this is pointless and nobody managed to survive anything ?
>>
>>7947965
you have been dead for 13.8 billion years before, enjoy the disparagingly small amount of time you are here, contribute to science, then die for the rest of eternity
>>
I like to feel good. Feeling good involves staying alive so it is rational not to kill myself.
>>
>>7947965
If I don't exist to stabilize reality, the universe will lose the structures that allow science to work. It'll only make sense to kill myself AFTER I've defined death properly.
>>
>>7947965
I gotta cut the grass tomorrow
>>
>>7947965
It would require more effort than not doing so.
>>
>>7947965
non-determinism
>>
because suicide makes sense only in hedonism (once you fail to get your pleasure). outside of hedonism, there is no reason to die, just as there is no reason to live.

Reminder that suicide the utmost expression of the faith in a self and that suicidal people do not believe in death.

suicidal people despise life so much that once they understand that they are inefficient at getting what they want, they go in the opposite direction of ''letting go'' in clinging, more than ever, to their desire of pleasures.
they cling so much that hey fail to pierce the notion of self.

if people believed in their death, they would be able to endure any pains on earth, they would not be scared of dying nor of pains.

when we believe in our death, when we believe that anything stops ''at death'' (reminder that you cannot prove that you will die, just like you cannot prove that you have been born), you do not have a problem taking a few hardships. it is not a few years of suffering which scare you, since at the end it stops.
>>
>>7947965
I would ruin the multiple current and future experiments with myself :^)
>>
File: CB9610-001.jpg (77KB, 338x507px) Image search: [Google]
CB9610-001.jpg
77KB, 338x507px
>>7947971
Welp, he's got you there
>>
>>7947971
/Thread
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.