[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I failed my calculus exam for the second time now. How do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: 1331377689539.jpg (55KB, 864x837px) Image search: [Google]
1331377689539.jpg
55KB, 864x837px
I failed my calculus exam for the second time now. How do I study math?
>>
you can't
just cheat
>>
instead of memorising everything try to understand everything, build you knowledge up from the ground so when you lose the roof the house is still standing.
>>
math is useless bro
study art
>>
>>7947773
How do I do that?
>>
>>7947760
how do i fix my car guys? im not gonna tell you what's wrong with it but hey maybe your vague advice will help me
>>
>>7947776
By thoroughly understanding the tools you are using when doing calculus, i'm talking about a deeper understanding of derivatives and integrals. When you know how your tools precisely work you can apply them properly and use them more intuitively.
>>
>>7947760
You tried to study for it and failed, or did you dose off until a week before the exam?

How many hours a week did you allocate? Calc isn't hard at any level if you give it enough time to sink.
>>
>>7947793
I like to think that mathemathics is a structure of nodes and connections, the more connections you have between the nodes the sturdier the structure becomes. The nodes are memories and the connections logical reasoning.
>>
>>7947800
I put in a good amount of hours but mostly was focusing on memorizing the exercises from old exams which wasn't my wisest decision.
>>
>>7947760
The brute force way (not the most efficient but it always works) is to do shitloads of exercises and ask every single thing you can't solve to an assistant. Yes it takes a while, but it never fails.

Another way is too look through old exams. You might be able to discover a pattern: certain questions are always asked, there are always x out of y possible questions asked, etc. Focus on that if you want, though it may be risky.

The most efficient way I study is to read through everything and only do those exercises that you think would be hard. This means you have to know yourself though: you have to be able to know whether or not to train on something. This is the least time-consuming, but the most risky.
>>
>>7947804
You're thinking of graph theory

>>7947760
Do problems from the end of each chapter until you can do enough of them and get them right without having to go back and look at stuff
>>
Wait OP, Calculus 1...?
>>
File: 1331464230187.jpg (165KB, 460x458px) Image search: [Google]
1331464230187.jpg
165KB, 460x458px
>>7947900
Yeah, I know bro. I'm studying engineering and I have no problem with optimization, automatic systems or modulation courses but I haven't completed my calculus..
>>
>>7947904
f a m....

Sounds to me like you need to brush up on your algebra.
>>
First, it's best if you start by re-evaluating your study strategy. How many hours are you dedicating to studying? Is your biggest obstacle retaining the information you learned when you actually sit down to take the test or did you simply not learn the information on a deep enough level? Are you forgetting to double-check your work? Are you running out of time on your exam, and, if so, why?

After taking a mental inventory of your study skills the, discuss your situation with your professor since (1) professors appreciate students who show a commitment to improving, (2) having an outside source give you honest feedback is key to helping you unlearn some bad study habits, and (3) your professor may even offer to help re-explain certain concepts for you that you may have missed the first time hearing them.

Also, don't save all your studying until the night before the exam. If you are struggling with a class, you should allocate at least an hour each day to active review and practice with the material. Be sure to begin studying even more than usual at least a week before your exam. Ask any tutors or professors any questions that you have not yet answered as soon as you can before the test (assume they will come up on the exam). Do homework problems, problems in your textbook that were not assigned for homework, and absolutely do practice exams given to you by your professor. Do not only do the easy problems either. The point of exams is to challenge you and test your knowledge of the subject matter. If you only practice with easy problems, you will be left with an inaccurate, inflated opinion of your aptitude. A test will not simply give you easy problems, so you should not limit your practice to easy problems.
>>
>>7947904
http://www.mecmath.net/trig/trigbook.pdf
Refresh your trig for a week. Thank me later.
>>
>>7947916

>a non meme response on sci
>>
>>7947919
"no"
>>
>>7947916
This was a great response, thanks!
This sounds too cliche but my problem is that before Uni I always breezed through stuff with above average grades without much studying at all, mostly just doing book exercises.
I don't have a good study strategy, I don't know how to study efficently, do I just open the book and go through exercises on the area that I feel I'm lacking in? I simply do not know how to put down time in studying. It's wierd.

>>7947919
Sorry, this is an anonymous imageboard so I'll thank you now. Thanks!
>>
>>7947773
Kinda shit analogy but still very true
>>
>>7947904
>I have no problem with optimization

>I can't pass calculus

That is literally impossible
>>
>>7948753
Not at all. He probably only knows to plug-and-chug for derivatives and has no idea what the fuck a limit is, or what delta-epsilon even means.
>>
I sucked in Calc I. Mainly because I was shit at algebra and my basic exponent laws etc. Brush up on them, and things will get better.
>>
>>7948798
Nono, limits are fine. As mentioned above it's probably my algebra that has gone to hell
>>
>>7947812
Dont memorize, understand, when you do, you won't have to study for a similar test in your life
>>
>>7949085
How do I understand?
>>
>>7949111
asking why to everything
>>
>>7949129
this.
>>
>>7947760
Kill yourself
>>
>>7949129
Then he'll just piss everyone off in the lecture hall because he's holding up class
>>
>>7949371
at least he'll understand
besides que can ask to himself, his mates, or his teachers/professors after class.
>>
>>7949371
That's why every quarter-assed-or-better university has recitation sections for calculus classes.
>>
>>7950366
Or office hours. :^):^):^)
>>
>>7950492
>:^)
I don't know what you're implying
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.