[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does the game of life simulate exactly? It isn't particles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

File: Game_of_life_pulsar[1].gif (6KB, 137x137px) Image search: [Google]
Game_of_life_pulsar[1].gif
6KB, 137x137px
What does the game of life simulate exactly?

It isn't particles because particles can't die, and it isn't cells, because cells don't behave that way.

So what is it?
>>
>>7946523
It demonstrates that very simple rules or initial states can lead to or develop into very complex structures, even structures that self-replicate.
>>
Potentiations of likelihoods.
>>
>>7946532

But is it useful for anything?
Can we use it in the real world?
>>
>>7946543
why do you cling to utility ?
>>
>>7946544

Because I'm an engineer.
>>
>>7946543
it's useful for teaching. Teaching is practical and useful.
>>
>>7946558

Teaching what
>>
>>7946559
That very simple rules or initial states can lead to or develop into very complex structures, even structures that self-replicate.
>>
>>7946523
population dynamics.
>>
>>7946523
It simulates ur mum
>>
>>7946614
it's a robust model of population dynamics using cellular automata

You can use ca algorithms for things like procedural generation
>>
File: this.gif (753KB, 379x192px) Image search: [Google]
this.gif
753KB, 379x192px
>>7946523

It's already in use, in one way or another but normally those patterns are hidden in data structures and not materialised as pixels.

take for example the vidyas heavy rain or fahrenheit, their storyline is nothing else than a automaton, evolving the story in different ways without mutating the whole.

but there are different layers of implementation, while its frequently used on the software level it's hardly used in the machine code level but that is where it gets interesting imho.
>>
>>7946987
Stop spewing bullshit you dumb kid
>>
File: Gospers_glider_gun.gif (21KB, 250x180px) Image search: [Google]
Gospers_glider_gun.gif
21KB, 250x180px
>>7946523
>What does the game of life simulate exactly?

Waves.
>>
>>7946543
"Game"
>>
>>7946543
We could use it to make computers out of BZ media
>>
File: Brusselator_space.gif (1MB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
Brusselator_space.gif
1MB, 125x125px
It kind of resembles a partial differential equation, but in a discrete sense (discrete in space, time and function values).
Once you don't allow more than just 0 and 1 values, but a continuous spectrum, it will behave like a finite volume scheme and you can model things like diffusion or chemical reactions.
There's a lot of fun stuff you can do with that in mathematical chemistry/biology
One example would be chemical oscillators like in the picture
>>
>>7946547
I am also an engineer, but do you not see the benefit in showing people how complexity can arise from simple rules? We need to teach people the intuition that an all-powerful deity is not a prerequisite for the universe we have.
>>
>>7946523

>So what is it?
A place where you can make up new theorems. ;^)
>>
>>7946563
Lel
>>
File: anni.gif (2MB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
anni.gif
2MB, 500x390px
>>7947356
>>7946563

well Codds automaton does that, look it up, it's a pretty old discovery actually

I find it curious that almost every CS teacher and many students have heard about CA but none really bother digging deeper into the topic.
>>
>>7947158
I'mtrippingballs.gif
>>
>>7946547
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_policy#Utilitarian_versus_monumental_science_policy
Just read the part about the laser. Useful application can arise from research that pursue a greater understanding of the Universe without knowing if it would become useful knowledge or not.
>>
>>7946523
It doesnt simulate
>>
Life of something that is to work based on the rules specified.
>>
>>7947428
Oh boy, here come the delusional CA fags with their pretty pictures...
>>
File: LfqyX3p.gif (43KB, 500x666px) Image search: [Google]
LfqyX3p.gif
43KB, 500x666px
>>7947493

>pretty pictures

if you dont understand whats happening lurk more or research for yourself, it's not magic just a program you ignorant fgt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codd's_cellular_automaton
>>
>>7947530
No, what he is saying is that you posted a neat picture that doesn't have much relevance.
>>
>>7946547
>engineering
>>>/hm/
>>
>>7948641

I am handsome, thank you.
>>
>>7948625

I know but maybe if he wouldn't be that much of a retard, he'd know the pic was completely on topic.
>>
>>7946543
It is Turing Complete, therefore useful.
>>
>>7946523
simulates autism
>>
>>7950528

I never saw you in the game.
>>
>>7950544
It's part of the DLC, what are you poor?
>>
>>7950517
Not really. Magic the Gathering's turing complete too, but that doesn't make it a useful computer.
>>
>>7950517
What is happening here? layfag here
>>
>>7950640
It's simulating a Turing machine, which is a type of theoretical computer used for various purposes in computer theory, consisting of a head (the central rectangular part) which uses a set of instructions and processes data on an infinitely-long tape (the long narrow part).
>>
>>7949412
When did I say it was off topic? Man you CA fags are dumb.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.