[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain the point of "conservation"? Throughout

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: endangered%20panda%20bear[1].jpg (43KB, 510x364px) Image search: [Google]
endangered%20panda%20bear[1].jpg
43KB, 510x364px
Can someone explain the point of "conservation"?

Throughout history, several species have gone extinct. You either adapt to your environment/learn to avoid your predators, or go extinct. That's how nature works.

Humans are the dominant species on the planet, and the species that are thriving are the ones that have adapted and learned to co-exist with humans, or use humans to their advantage (such as crows dropping nuts on roads and using cars to crack them so it can eat them). That is evolution at work. If a species can't adapt, then it's supposed to go extinct.
>>
>>7946419
>supposed
when you got as much power over the environment as humans do, you can take the liberty to keep things alive.
why though? well, some animals are cute I guess. and they're nice to study for people who study biology and ecology and shit. keep the earth ecology interesting and rich, you know?

but yeah, if it has to happen, it's going to happen
>>
>>7946429
>>7946419
This is stupid. But I guess if you only ever learned STEM your entire life its reasonable to think.
When you take almost any animal out of the food chain it has rippling effects throughout the entire ecosystem. Take yellowstone and its re introduction of wolves. The wolves brought the number of grazing animals to a balance, and also forced those animals to adapt by constantly moving or not grazing where they dont feel safe. As a result certain vegetation can flourish along riversides that prevent erosion and provide shelter and breeding grounds for amphibians and fish. Theres more too it than that, its only a small peice of the chain that weve seen affected.
>>
>>7946419
you are a retard, human are part of the environment, being cute is an evolutionary trait that permitted panda to survive, it's a good strategy as any other.
>>
>>7946419
Conservation, especially the desperate kind that's done with pandas, is a futile effort. Human activity consumes so much of the environment that barely any other lifeforms (not just animals, LIFEFORMS) are able to survive. Of course there are going to be consequences, but nobody cares. The endgame is probably something along the lines of oceans being completely dead and land surface being either housing or farms and everything else is a desert.
>>
>>7946739
>if you only ever learned STEM your entire life its reasonable to think
biology is part of science just fyi
>>
>>7946419
Partly it's because of people's stupid love of nature, but there's a more important aspect to it too.

Upsetting ecosystems can fuck up our food supply. Suppose one kind of spider or lizard goes extinct by introducing some predator from a different continent, this can lead to insects not being eaten which causes them to to either completely ruin human crops or even end up overpopulation and then they all go extinct and then we no longer have anything pollinating plants and then plants go extinct yadda yadda.

Basically there are a ton of us retard humans to keep alive and it gets more fragile over time and I just want tree hugging bastards to push these types of inevitable collapses further into the future, preferably until after I die.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.