[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whenever I try to study my mind will wander. The thing is I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: school[1].jpg (316KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
school[1].jpg
316KB, 800x533px
Whenever I try to study my mind will wander. The thing is I don't realize my mind is wandering for a few minutes.

Finally once I realize I will try really hard to focus. The result ends up being just reading or listening to individual words, but not actually comprehending the sentences. Like even basic sentences will just become a series of unrelated words when I try to read them.

Then my mind starts to wander and the cycle keeps repeating. I retain almost nothing.

How can I stop this from happening?

pls no just do it memes
>>
Maybe you have ADD. Get medicated.
>>
>>7941060
Try to fully detach yourself from the other things while studying. You can't expect to fully understand something while you're waiting for your friend to text you or while you're urging to check facebook or whatever. Internet is pretty disturbing while you're studying.
Also: check your ambient, where you study. It may be lousy and you may not tolerate it.

>>7941071
Yeah, maybe. But I don't think it's so epidemic like it seems. Everyday every person has ADD. Is it possible?
>>
>>7941079
>Yeah, maybe. But I don't think it's so epidemic like it seems. Everyday every person has ADD. Is it possible?
Maybe it just seems that way to you because obviously people who don't have difficulties focusing don't talk about it. Idk I think I may have it, it's real hard for me to focus on one thing, especially for long periods.
>>
>>7941060
I know that feel
>>7941079
Not OP but I get distracted just as easily in an empty distraction sterile environment
>>
>>7941060
your brain is destroyed by social media, 4chan and the otherwise constant stream of garbage flooding your brain 24/7. You are so addicted to the continual dopamine rush you get by useless stimuli you expose yourself to that you can't focus on one thing for more than 30 minutes.

Get off the internet and sit in a room with no electronics and get to work you degenerate
>>
>>7941098
That may be true, but I never said anything about doing other things instead of studying, I'm talking about when I'm studying my mind will wander without me even realizing it. I do not mean I do other activities or am distracted by things around me, I am distracted by my own mind.
>>
Creating mental pictures helps with retention.

eyecanlearn.com can explain a few things (and help (even if it is intended for young children)).

To improve concentration, I'd suggest simply googling "How to Improve Concentration."

Writing, and having to know the meaning of the words used to express things, can also help in the comprehension of words other people use.

Altough how well you understand, is entirely dependent of how many modes of recall you have linked to any particular word.

Anyway, do this http://www.winwenger.com/ebooks/guaran.htm

Buy this geniusintelligence.com
>>
>>7941103
What anon meant is, your mind is so used to being filled with stuff it can't handle one-pointed focus.

But if you can, get neurodiversity testing. There are forms of dyslexia, sensory processing disorder, and so on, that are still being described, and may not yet be mainstream. Sensory Processing Disorder, for example, isn't in DSM V, but is a very real, well documented condition.
>>
Stop sugar stop pot stop caffeine. Study length comes from practice.
>>
>>7941122
>stop caffeine
kekekekekekekkekekeekkek LE EBIC MEME XDDD HERS AN UPBOAT
>>
>>7941135
spot the caffeine addict
>>
File: 1457151715575.jpg (18KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1457151715575.jpg
18KB, 256x256px
>>7942041
caffiene is as addictive as anime desu
>>
bömp
>>
>>7941060
don't let this thread die. I'm coming back in two hours
(disconnecting from internet)
>>
I have the same problem. I had ADD medication as a kid, but it didn't help much. Do you have a pretty high IQ and/or right-brain dominant mind?
>>
I have the same problem too. Even when I'm not in front of an immediate electronic source I still have trouble concentrating.
>>
File: 1406326102208.jpg (83KB, 575x720px) Image search: [Google]
1406326102208.jpg
83KB, 575x720px
>>7942057
But I'm addicted to anime!
>>
File: fair_chair.png (2MB, 1169x1000px) Image search: [Google]
fair_chair.png
2MB, 1169x1000px
>>7942173
Here I am.
There is one strategy that works for me (not always though). I change my chair. One is for working the other is for playing games or web browsing.
That's something I figured out by myself. I never was able to implement tips like "write down your goals, make a time schedule, give yourself rewards". I like to try them out, but these tips aren't specific enough. Someone here, who can help me with that?
>>
>>7942350
By looking at my own pic I realized that I forgot to drink my tee
it's cold now
>>
>>7941060
>How can I stop this from happening?
Why do you care about the thing your brain is staring at?
>>
>>7942356
Not OP. Let's assume he wants spend time studieng so he can pass a test.
>>
>>7942367
*studying
>>
>>7942367
I wouldn't it feel right to give cognitive advice until I knew the intent of the person receiving it.
>>
>wouldn't feel it right
>>
>>7942378
You could give some advice to me/others first. Doubles your kindness.
>>
>>7942385
Cognitive advice is the opposite of kindness. Real kindness involves emotions, not structures.
>>
>>7942387
That's really confusing. I mean you ARE doing me a favour, when you share a tip. I tought that's the definition of kindness. Not the right word choice, maybe? I'm a non native speaker.
>>
>this board's hatred for ADHD and its medications

Why is /sci/ so backwards when it comes to psychology, mental health and medications?
>>
I'm the same as OP. I noticed it yesterday when I was watching a documentary on consciousness which I find really interesting. Even though I am interested in it, sometimes sentences don't make sense even though I understand all the words, and I have to repeat that part of the video couple of times until it got into my head. I fucking hate it.

Note that I'm proficient in English so that's not the problem obviously.
>>
>>7942198
>le right brain meme xDDDD
>>
>tfw I'm smart but I constantly fail because I can't focus on anything without becoming exhausted within 30 minutes
Seeing everyone else around me able to work hard and succeed with seemingly no problem makes me want to shoot myself
>>
>>7942464
>brainlet
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There aren't any definitions for brainlet yet.

Can you define it?
>>
The cure to ADHD is discipline.
Go meditate on top of a rolling hill for three hours, you are not allowed to hum, open your eyes, move or dream for three hours. Go.
>>
>>7941060
You need memes
>>
>>7941079
Hey OP, I had the exact same thing as you. It was extremely debilitating. I could go on for hours about the symptoms I was experiencing, but they are the same as yours and then some. If I described them I'm sure you would relate.

I was always sceptical of ADD/ADHD, and I completely believed it was a fake condition. I still believe that millions of people are misdiagnosed for just being children/energetic and upbeat. However, after further research I found that my symptoms matched exactly the diagnostic criteria for ADD inattentive. After many arduous months, I was finally able to get a clinical diagnosis as well as appropriate medication. It really changed my life, and I think it is something you should look into if the problems you are experiencing are that severe. It is a chemical imbalance dealing with insufficient dopamine, and psychostimulants are the most effective proven treatment for this.

Sorry for rambling, I think it is a heavily stigmatized subject (with good reason) which is why I was at first extremely hesitant to seek a psychiatric evaluation. Seriously, if you or anyone else reading this has problems, it might benefit you to look into it.
>>
I have the same issues and my solution is to study out in the woods.
>>
>>7943176
It would be a lot easier to try this first http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/springWalkSoundscapeGenerator.php
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.