[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/, I've been thinking about the future and I want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: Paul_Erdos_with_Terence_Tao.jpg (89KB, 515x348px) Image search: [Google]
Paul_Erdos_with_Terence_Tao.jpg
89KB, 515x348px
Hey /sci/,

I've been thinking about the future and I want advice on how best to raise a child academically, in light of a very fierce competitive globalized environment. I am adamant that a child should choose what he or she wants to do (one of the worst things a father can do is stymie the interest of his child by being overbearing), but if they are interested or expresses an interest in a STEM field I want to best provide for them. I am worried that the Canadian public education system is too behind to offer them a competitive advantage or even equal footing (they learn how to add / multiply fractions and is introduced algebra in all of middle school) to others, so I wanted to take matters in my own hands. I'll be working hard to provide for them, so outside of expensive preparatory ivy-league tutors money wouldn't be a huge issue. Any advice?

Please remember they will be just children.

Also education thread, I guess.
>>
well its quite obvious. you will insert rudin into the womb and if he does no become well acquainted with abstraction then he will be aborted as his brainlet status will only pollute the gene pool
>>
Choosing for them is in avoidable. There's a reason children are basically second class citizen (can't financially sort themselves or make decisions of their own - think how they have to get their parents signature)

If you don't want to be over bearing just get them interesting in what you want (I'm assuming stem)
Just do those junior experiments such as mouse trap car. Marble rollercoaster. Rockets. Penny water surface tension. Card board boat races. Raising butterflies.
Or just get them very familiar with the scientific method. Anything can be a science just that other studies are basically joke sciences because they have no respect for the scientific method (sociology and rampant publication bias)
>>
>>7939209
>raise a child academically
the recipe for disaster
>>
>>7939219
I laughed.

I don't think I'll be introducing Rudin to them any time soon.
>>
>I've been thinking about the future and I want advice on how best to raise a child academically, in light of a very fierce competitive globalized environment.

No one knows how to do this by definition. All we have are a bunch of desperate adults forcing their kids through desperate programs and regimens with absolutely no guarantees of anything but making a new person's life horrible.

STEM rammed down a kid's throat is vanity and child abuse

So is religion and compulsory state education for that matter

The truest thing you can tell a kid is, "Sorry, we broke the world and ourselves, and we don't know how to fix it, and we won't force you into learn things against your will."

Personally I suspect the best way is to not try and pretend you can figure out how to do it by experimenting on your own child like he is a guinea pig.

If you can prevent the state from doing so, also do that.

But I suspect
>>
>>7939209
Being of the age where all my friends are having kids, I see the same response you have. Couple it with the "kids learn so easily at this age" idea, 3 year olds have a steady regimen of repetitive lessons, poor application, and stress. I could rant on and on but I'll leave it with this:

The trend is to provide the best of everything and expect your kid to do more than his peer. The truth is that you need to provide the opportunity for your child, that is all. If your kid likes electronics, spend your free time learning to enrich them. If your kid is in a Spanish immersion school, you should know some spanish. Think of all the grammar errors they make in your native language! You can't expect their learning process to be instantaneous and permanent. Just give them the opportunity to explore their interests.

That and some kind of routine. "Free" parenting is for faggots
>>
>>7939235
>>7939233

I'm completely fine with them choosing to not do STEM or have no interest whatsoever, I'm just worried in a quantifiable field where you are measured by your peers I don't want to fail them by not presenting them an equal opportunity as to others. I am not very talented nor am I very intelligent, but the least I can do is help them out with the fundamentals.
>>
If you want your kid to be smart, copy how the Chinese raise their children.
>>
>>7939209
Well, I'm a STEM major and growing up, my parents let me choose my own interests. The one thing they required of me was to get Straight A's (I'd get grounded even for a B) and not get in trouble. As a kid, I got into science by watching a lot of thunder and tornado documentaries and when I showed a little bit of interest in mathematics, my mom began teaching me math. By middle school, I knew advanced calculus. High school math AP classes were a joke to me and I don't even have to attend my college math lectures, only for an exam.

What I'm trying to say is that get your kids interested in science like >>7939233 said. If they begin showing interest, then by all means share knowledge.
If they don't care, let them choose their own interests and don't force shit on to them. All you will get it an emotionally unstable kid who will hate you and resent you even when they grow up.
>>
You want your child be interested in STEM?

Teach the kid maths and basic language from the begining. Instead of throwing him stupid and autistic toys, be with him and give him affectuous rewards everytime he accomplishes something. I was raised like this.

It's better if his mother does this kind of work too. My mother spent most afternoons playing with me and some letter/number panels. I learnt to read when i was 3 yo.

Be his lovely dad. But never forget to teach him how you are when you are upset and your kid disobeys you.

My father spent some afternoons later to teach me basic math. He taught me many things with passion, so i could also learn from his passion.

Do you remember when you were a kid and aolved a big problem? That's the feeling your kid is going to experience.

Remember. The education begins from the first years of life. That's how you put the seed of wanting "infinite knowledge". I already had developed this initiative at the age of 7.

Don't forget to teach him discipline:
effort->reward
>>
>>7939287
>Getting grounded for a B
WTF are you Asian?
>>
>>7939248

I absolutely think propositional or formal logic should be learned before any further learning, and was a part of curriculums many decades ago and has since faded out, a big mistake.

consider a complex civilization, discoveries, human happiness all existed prior to today. Studies show that all the massive increase in study volume and technology, time and cost have not improved education one bit

I am not saying the calculator wasn't an improvement above the slide rule, but that iPads and curriculums aren't marginally better than chalk dust and books.

Free unstructured time, colleges, museums and libraries will keep on giving benefits for the rest of a kids life- and again they might not ever go into a "quantifiable" field.
>>
>>7939329
>am not saying the calculator wasn't an improvement above the slide rule, but that iPads and curriculums aren't marginally better than chalk dust and books.

There is quantifiable evidence that tangebility improves memory and retention. IPad games and books are good for wasting time, but you still learn best when it's in front of you
>>
>>7939240
>Implying you can't get them to like it by exposing them with it
>>
>>7939303
Thanks.

Regardless of what s/he's doing, the least I'll do will be to beat the "smart but lazy" attitude out of them.
>>
>>7939303
Also, the kid wants you to be with him. You could use your time using some word panels with a picture.

I was interested in such matters when i was 1,5 yo so my mother made some of them for me. They were everywhere in my house.

The intellectual work by the kid must be rewarded with affect. Sometimes you can use a toy.

Actually, it doesn't matter if you give him some normal toys at the age of 3-5. But the kid values his mother and maybe his lovely father, than some stupid toys.

It's pretty sad that some "memers" over here actually believe that intellectuals aren't made but born.
>>
File: toddlersbrain.jpg (90KB, 500x624px) Image search: [Google]
toddlersbrain.jpg
90KB, 500x624px
Hey OP. Father of one primary school age kid here. Some good advice above. Attempting to groom a child for academic success is becoming a battlefield. There was a news report here in the UK recently that prospective parents are trying to time pregnancy so that their kids are among the oldest when they enter their first school. Studies show better academic outcomes for older kids compared with their younger classmates. We've seen this with our summer-born; going into school at 5 with kids nearly a year older is a huge disadvantage.

But if you already have yours, as we do, our thoughts have been to try to support the whole development rather than just the academic. Don't get me wrong, it is important, we are both sci graduates working in the field. But we get the sense in the future that prospective employers may be looking for something more than just grades. We are trying to support ours in emotional intelligence, learning about feelings and self-expression; music and art, creativity, and the sense of being able to bring something to the world. Being a valued individual with a strong sense of self-worth, being listened to, respected and loved.

And there are so many peripheral factors which can influence academic attainment, nutrition, sleep, exercise, training attention span; very minimal TV for us and no computer or tablet yet.

In the early years, development of motor control, play, and social skills seem much more important than academic learning. It cares the shit out of me what the current UK edu system is doing to kids, with constant testing and targets,

But anyway, the upshot of all that is that we hope to produce a child who is confident, assured in their own ability, and has the same love of learning I remember as a child.
>>
>>7939399
*scares* the shit out of me
>>
>>7939399
>motor control, play and social skills
This is important, though.

>older kids tend to be more successful
I think this happens because most parents let the school to be the intellectual battlefield of his son and omit their mission to teach their kids the marvelous passion for knowledge.

Does the UK has an above-average quality education?
>>
>>7939328
mexican. Mom was a teacher herself and had high expectations of me, since I was more intelligent and focused than my siblings.
>>
Raising an intelligent and inquisitive child is incredibly easy yet so many people don't realize it.
>Read with them every single day, while pointing under the lines for what you're reading aloud until they can follow along themselves
>Constantly ask them questions that force them to think, such as why something does what it does, ot what they think an unknown objects purpose is
>Explain literally everything to them. If you're working on a car, bring them over and explain the different parts and how they work to make the car move. You may think the kid won't get it, but trust me they will.
>NEVER use baby talk. Always speak to them as an adult (minus profanity) and use complex words in context. Eventually they will understand the meaning and use them on their own.

Those are only the basics, of course, but children are far more intelligent than we give them credit for. Remember that and you'll do fine.
>>
>>7939435
No, the older kids just have an advantage, 10 or 11 months is a big learning difference for 5-6 year olds. And for some reason that difference tends to continue across the years.

As to the quality of UK education, it totally depends on what you compare it with. For youngsters, I think we push them too hard. Not enough play, which is learning in itself. Nowadays, not enough exercise, too long sitting in classrooms, drastically reduced access to science lab facilities for older kids, I could go on.
>>
>>7939507
We do, and did, this with ours right from the earliest. The wife particularly, talked to ours all the time and her verbal and reasoning skills are extraordinary, with great inquisitiveness.
>>
I read all the above. What a load of bollocks. Ever heard of 'puberty' ?
My previously top 20% daughter has just gone mmental from it. Refuses to study, or revise, is argumentative and only interested in boys. Sanctions dont work.

Welcome to a REAL world.
>>
>>7940701
Try spankings. It's worked for thousands of years.
>>
>don't let them watch tv (you should not even own one desu)
>take them on lots of trips in the countryside, castles, churches etc (I'm English but the same thing applies)
>allow them to question everything but explain to them why things happen (NOT: because I said so)
>make learning fun
>don't hit your children

I don't have children but I have younger siblings
>>
>>7940701
I can't help you with girls. But women tend to look for men who have the same deficiencies of his daddy.

I can't help you with puberty in general, but you had to begin the education from the very first years. Social and language stimulation are very important when your son/daughter is still a baby.

You can put the "knowledge search" iniciative on the kid's mind. However, the puberty education is more complex though.
Nevertheless, when this puberty phase ends, the "iniciative" emerges again. So she/he will have this tendency forever.
>>
>>7939209
Well, you DEFINITELY should not listen to anyone here about how to raise your child. That's a recipe for disaster.
>>
>>7940723
>wants to spank a teenage daughter himself
Good luck with that.
>>
I think the most important thing is just exposing your children to a large variety of ideas and branches of science. They will pick for themselves if they have any natural ability.

I wish my parents had done this for me. When I got to college, I didn't even really know what options were out there for me to choose from. I had to discover all of this on my own.
>>
>>7940935
>natural talent
You can develop this "natural talent". That's the point of the thread, anon.
>>
Focus on foundations, if they learn to read and write, have arithmetic down pat, they can cruise through Primary School and give them time for other things, which their teachers can use to accelerate them a little (if they have any decency)

Growing up I was drilled whenever my parents were home from their labour jobs. I entertained myself with reading anything that existed, and sitting at home daydreaming about random shit. Mostly what ifs hypotheticals. My teachers were fantastic and catered for me whenever shit wasn't going fast enough. They entered me into Maths competitions and those gave me a good sense of what I was good at early on in life.

Give them a computer when they're 12, teach them how to google and youtube and they can learn on their own.
>>
>>7940701
It has been demonstrated that the distribution of cognitive ability in males shows appreciably greater variance than females,with a greater proportion of both gifted and impaired individuals in the male distribution.

That is to say, a woman with the intellect of Von Neumann would tend to come around less frequently than a man of such ability. Given the rate at which such men come around, we must conclude that the number of such females who have ever lived is quite small.

That aside, my nieces, who are probably top quintile as well, suffer similar problems with what can be broadly called "motivation". Compared to myself at their age, they seem to be be juggling far more priorities, leaving no particular interest deeply explored even though I know they have some mature than others.

A guy named Roy Baumeister explores this idea of motivation at some depth in his book "Is There Anything Good About Men?" Simple answer is that some of it is likely cultural (and, to some extent, malleable) while some is likely due to valid sex differences.

I suppose it's all a matter of knowing your kids and allowing them to make their own choices while helping them to work through the likely consequences of their actions, particularly regarding their ability live as financially stable, independent adults.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.