[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important are minors for premed? I'll be a freshman

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: futurama kaduceus.jpg (24KB, 480x564px) Image search: [Google]
futurama kaduceus.jpg
24KB, 480x564px
So anyway, I'll be doing a biochemistry major when I start college next year. For my minor, I really want to do Japanese because I enjoy the language and culture, and I'm currently studying it on my own and would like to continue it into college. However, I feel it would have little use as a language compared to Spanish when it comes to medical school but my school doesn't offer spanish and I wouldn't take it even if they did. My alternative is a minor in computer science because that's also something I enjoy but for the medical field don't think coding will come to much use, with math as a 3rd option since I do enjoy it. But do med schools even look at what I minor in at all? For usefulness my parents suggested business admin since it'll give me a leg up if I want to do private practice, but I want to work in a hospital setting and honestly all the business crap bores me. My school also offers a healthcare ethics minor but it is also seems boring compared to jap, comp sci, and math. What do you guys think I should do? Also, one more problem is that my parents would be against me doing japanese but would be fine with me doing comp sci or math, or really anything not japanese, so that would be another barrier to it, since I'm a weeb and they hate anime and will think learning japanese will make me weebier.
>>
>>7937325
Whoa there Charles Dickings I didn't come here to read your graduate thesis.

But anyway medschools don't even look at your major, let alone your minor.
Statistically speaking, you have no advantage with any group of majors or minors or anything. They. Don't. Care.

Whatever major gets you the closest to a 4.0 is the major you should choose. They only care about prereqs and GPA. It's that simple.

If you feel like a Women's Study major is easier, go for it.
Explain to the momma and the poppa that they don't even look at your major, and then spend that time you saved volunteering.
>>
>>7937413
So..basically go for the easiest one? I'm still doing a biochem majior sice it'll help me keep god MCAT score and prereqs guranteed covered, so I guess go with the easiest minor? I want to do japanese but parents will not approve. How do I get parents to approve?
>>
tl;dr: How do I get my parents to allow me to minor in japanese since they won't approve?
>>
>>7937325

Your major/minor don't matter to medical schools.

First, medical schools take your GPA and MCAT score, and turn it into a single number based on some formula they like. If your number is equal to, or higher than this, they ask for the rest of your application.

I also did not bother reading more than the first line of your post.
>>
>>7937448
Not necessarily the "easiest" one, but at least the one you enjoy the most.

Adcoms have never once looked at your major or minor, so your parents are 100% right in saying don't minor in Japanese.
Unless that Japanese minor also brings you unique cultural experiences like studying abroad, it's a waste of both time and money.

You can MAJOR in Japanese if you want, and you'd be in just as good of shape as a Biochem major or an Anthropology major or anybody else.
Show them the AAMC stats on matriculation by major if they don't buy it.
https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/

In the interview it might come up, but it won't impress them any more than you just saying you're learning Japanese on your own.

They don't give a single fucking shit about your major or minor or anything. All that matters is you take the prereqs and get a good GPA/MCAT.
And volunteer and do research and get letters of rec.
>>
File: 1453516384902.jpg (20KB, 704x400px) Image search: [Google]
1453516384902.jpg
20KB, 704x400px
>>7937413
>>7937459
Was my post too long for you guys? I know /b/ and /r9k/ has dumb people in it but I expected the /sci/entists to be a bit smarter and not have the attention span of a dead gold fish.
>>
File: euthanasia-dr-rodney-syme.jpg (43KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
euthanasia-dr-rodney-syme.jpg
43KB, 500x500px
>>7937325
Two comments.

1. Most doctors including researchers are statistically illiterate. You can make yourself a much better doctor by understanding statistics well. Make sure you learn Bayesian statistics as part of this.

2. You say you are bored by thinking about business. I suggest that you will likely find the office politics in a hospital very 'boring' or worse. When that happens the prospect of running your own business suddenly becomes very interesting indeed.

At a minimum learn accounting and how to read a P&L, Cash flow and balance sheet.

There might be a biomedical statistics major you could do.

Learning japanese is almost certainly a waste of time. It would be more useful to learn Latin or Greek - medical terminology is full of Latin and Greek derived terms.
>>
>>7937473
Well, Japanese would be the one I enjoy the most, and my school does have a summer study abroad program, but no japanese majors. DESU I'm starting to lean towards doing a biochem major with jap/comp sci double minor, so I get all my favorite stuff.
>>
>>7937475
/sci/ does read long posts, as long as they are well formatted and paragraphed. Protip: Yours wasn't.
>>
>>7937475
Your post was poorly formatted (as in not formatted at all) and demonstrated a criminal lack of googling skill.

Also, /sci/ is one of the dumbest boards around. Why do you think you're here?
>>
>>7937476
>It would be more useful to learn Latin or Greek - medical terminology is full of Latin and Greek derived terms.

desu learning latin or greek for the roots seems useless to me since I'm going to learn those roots (I already know some and will learn more anyway). But everything else you say does make sense. Never really considered what hsopital office politics or whatever would be like. And sadly my school does not offer biomedical statistics.
>>
>>7937480
I've been googling shit all day, but I want a bit more info also, like what >>7937476 said, gave some good info
>>
>>7937480
>/sci/ is one of the dumbest boards around

Then which one is the smartest? /mlp/?
>>
>>7937482
>>7937476
Medschoolfag who studied latin for two years.

Holy. Fuck.

You couldn't be more wrong. Nobody pronounces Latin worse than physicians, and there's no logic behind their naming conventions at all. I hope nobody ever has to go through that hell.

If anything, Japanese is becoming extremely useful in medicine thanks to the rise of medical tourism. They're already xenophobic as fuck, so physicians who can bridge the gap are becoming increasingly important.

>>7937485
Except nobody on the internet will say that pre-med majors matter, so I don't know what you were googling. Who told you that?

I mean, that's one of the first things you learn about med school.

>>7937488
/trv/ is the smartest board, followed by /po/, /ic/, /diy/, and /out/.
The older and more niche a board, the more likely they'll have dedicated and intellegent users.
/sci/ is near the lower end of the spectrum along with /his/ and /lit/.
>>
>>7937475

No, but everyone has a finite amount of time here, and no one wants to spend it reading your life story.

Also, I could answer your question without reading all of those superfluous details. So, why would I?
>>
>>7937504
>No, but everyone has a finite amount of time here,

But can't you say that about anything in life, such as just being on 4chan at all?
>>
>>7937325
stop.

do comp sci. forget about all this "getting as close to a 4.0 with any major" bullshit. you NEED a back up plan. The odds are stacked incredibly against you to not get into medical school. do comp sci. if you dont get in med school you will actually be able to get a high paying job in your field when you graduate with a B.Sc. pretty much every other field is fucked. engineering most likely will be as well by the time you graduate. Go CS while there is still a huge stigma against looking like a pimply faced creep nerd for doing it. it will get you $. couple it with math or finance or something.

I'm warning you.
>>
>>7937496
>/trv/ is the smartest board, followed by /po/, /ic/, /diy/, and /out/.

Found the artfag
>>
>>7937840
And yet /po/'s combined knowledge about the nuanced subtleties of papercraft and geometry looms over /sci/'s high school level understanding of mathematics.
They are extremely knowledgeable about their topic.

Not to mention /trv/ is just smarter in general, having seen the whole world and lived many more years.
Note how I lumped them into two groups.

Just because /sci/ discusses more low-level material doesn't mean the users are magically smarter.
In fact, we're one of the dumbest boards on average, if this thread is any indication at all.
>>
>>7937325
>minor in computer science

Which will just cover basic java monkeying, the simplest of data structures, a discrete math course that an elementary schooler could pass, a joke of a probability course, a watered down architecture course, and a really easy algorithm design course at the very best. All stuff you can learn on your own in far more detail and in a fraction of the time. CS courses are really not worth paying tuition money for until you get to the graduate level.
>>
>>7937450
You are a grown fucking adult. They can't force you to major or minor in anything. If you want to do Japanese, then do Japanese. If you want to do math, then do math. If you want to do both, then do both. It's your life, not theirs.

Fucking kids these days...
>>
>>7937325
>my school doesn't offer spanish
>but offers japanese

Are you in Hawaii? And do you plan on practicing medicine in Hawaii?
>>
>>7937838

You can get a CS gig with any major. There are programmers with religious studies degrees and others with just high school degrees. It's as worthless as getting a business BA.
>>
>>7937325
Minor in Philosophy.

Get hawt chixx
>>
>>7937847
I'd say we're more introverted, less sensical.

Plus intelligent i.e. More intelligent (Fr.).
>>
>>7937883
Actually this is in Texas lol, so it is pretty suprising. They offer chinese, french, german, italian, and japanese.
>>
>>7937838
OP here. My school actually has an 80% acceptance rate into medical school, which is double the national average, so desu I'm not worried about having a back up plan since I am already a top tier student.
>>
>>7937883
>>7938188
Update: My school does offer spanish, its just that I was looking under the wrong section.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.