[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, /sci/. what are your unpopular opinions? Also, please post

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: unpopularopinion.jpg (38KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unpopularopinion.jpg
38KB, 300x300px
So, /sci/. what are your unpopular opinions? Also, please post your reasoning behind the belief.

One of mine is related to psychiatry (inb4 not a science). Being logical people of science, if you disagree with something, you gotta PROVE it. You can't just go around making ridiculous claims. That is what religious bigots do.

I believe transvestism is a psychiatric illness, or at least a clinical manifestation of one.

My argument:

1. Delusions are idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are firmly maintained, despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as physical reality.
2. Delusions are a clinical manifestation, and a symptom of underlying psychiatric illness.
3. An individual holding firm beliefs that they are in fact the opposite biological sex, contradicts physical reality.
4. Therefore, individuals who believe they are the opposite biological sex are delusional.
5, Furthermore, individuals who believe the they are the opposite biological sex have an underlying psychiatric disorder.

If a 21 year old man had extreme delusions that they were actually a reincarnation of a wolf, and willfully acted as one, there is no doubt people would deem him delusional, and mentally unbalanced. If the logic follows, then I see no reason to believe that a man actually believes that he is a woman, is not equally delusional. All of a sudden though, as soon as you introduce sexual identity all of the fucking SJWs in the world come raining down on you. As it is beliefs like this, if made public, can ruin your career, and that makes my fucking blood boil. People also attempt to conclude that I think gays are delusional too. I argue against this, because they KNOW, and are FULLY AWARE, that they are the sex they are, and are simply attracted to the same sex. I see no problem here.
>>
But the argument isn't whether it is a delusion, but whether it affects their ability to function in society or harm themselves. Of course your wolf-kin furry loving self is a complete delusion, no one is going to rewrite you into a different genome because you say so; but if your a productive, social, employed wolf-kin furry loving tax payer, why would anyone consider it an illness?
>>
>>7936400

>00 get

What I mean is that they this individual is actually trying to be a wolf. He wants to go out into the wild, run around on all fours and attempt to hunt deer with his bare hands and mouth.

You've made your point about functioning in society, but that doesn't address the illness for being what it is. Regardless of they can function in society or not doesn't change the fact they have this illness.

See John Nash for example. Sure it took him time to cope, but he was functioning in society and he most definitely had schizophrenia.
>>
>>7936384
Transvestites don't actually believe they are a different biological sex, retard. They believe their biological sex is the "wrong" one. Whether or not you believe it's a sign of mental illness to believe your biological sex is incorrect is a different story, but there's no way to prove whether such a belief is delusional because it's inherently subjective.

It's not like they think "I'm a biological female" when they have a penis, they think "Even though I was born a biological male, I feel like I should be female". Like I said, you can still make the argument that this is a sign of mental illness but the logic your provided falls apart from the very beginning
>>
>>7936437

>Transvestites don't actually believe they are a different biological sex, retard.
Didn't know every single transvestite had the exact same train of thought as to their conclusions.

>Whether or not you believe it's a sign of mental illness to believe your biological sex is incorrect is a different story.
How is it a different story? Believing that you are something, or that you were born the incorrect way are the same fucking thing.

>inherently subjective
As is all mental illness, apparently.

The changes can be made from "actually believing they are a different biological sex", to "actually feeling like they are a different biological sex", and the argument still stands.

>retard
nice
>>
>>7936400
>productive, social, employed wolf-kin furry loving tax payer
It doesn't exist.
>>
Well it's classified as a disorder so I don't think your opinion is that unpopular.
>>
>>>/pol/
tbqh
>>
>>7936461
>believing that you are something, or that you were born the incorrect way are the same fucking thing

No, actually they aren't. Because one is believing that a physical entity doesn't exist (in this case, a penis), and the other is believing that the physical entity that exists isn't the "correct" one. The first is objectively verifiable, the other is not because it relies upon the concept of something being "correct" or "incorrect" which is a subjectively abstract distinction. The fact that you are unable to distinguish these differences helps explain how you could have constructed and continue to push such shit tier logic
>>
>>7936472

is this DSM-V?

well shit..
>>
>>7936486
ICD-10. DSM-V also lists gender dysphoria as a disorder though.
>>
>>7936483
>>7936483

I get what you're saying, edgelord.

There are no grounds for an individual to make the claim "I feel like I should be a woman", or "I feel I incorrectly have a penis", when they have no idea what it even feels like to be woman at all.

Since one can look down and see a penis, they can, and should, accept they are a man. Again, we're talking about what is rooted in physical reality, down to the fucking genome.
>>
>>7936505
>when they have no idea what it even feels like to be woman at all.
I kinda agree with this although I don't care if gender dysphoria is a mental illness or not. Transgender people base their gender identity on stereotypes and traditional gender roles. You can't really identify as something you aren't and have never experienced although obviously you can be uncomfortable with your own body and the way you are perceived by society. I don't think the natural next step is to think you have a gender that differs from your biological sex.
>>
>>7936384
tranny here
I dont believe im a woman i just want to look like one. Dont see why this is a delusion.
Anyway despite this being a transbait thread ill answer your question, my unpopular opinions are that flying cars are round the corner, theres life on mars and SLS is a good idea.
>>
>>7936512

OP here, did not intentionally make this thread as bait, honest conjecture.

Thank for actually contributing your own unpopular opinions.
>>
As usual every single example ITT uses male to female transsexuals. This is clear proof that all the hate agains transsexuals ia actually rooted in society's worship of masculinity. I have never ever seen a female to male transsexual being bashed on 4chan despite all the "delusion" and "mutilation" arguments applying to them too.
>>
>>7936521
You're welcome.
>>
>>7936512
why flying cars?

Having earned my private pilots license, this concept scares me, people can barely function with 2D transportation
>>
>>7936530
They will be autonomous. You get in it, input destination and it takes you there while you read a book. I live in London and despite being seven miles from the city centre it takes me nearly an hour to get there on a bad day. A flying car could do it in 10 minutes, you leave it to recharge while at work and you get back in to go home.
>>
>>7936522

there is only one example, OP's. the rest of the convo was conjecture based off of that first example. get a grip.

>>7936593

what about catastrophic engine failure? in a car, just you slow down and stop. in a flying car you're falling to your death m8.
>>
Astrophysics is boring as fuck and most of physics are too.
>>
>>7936505
I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion, I just think the logic you put forth to get there is flawed. You made a statement that was technically incorrect, I pointed this out, that's all
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 320x371px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 320x371px
>>7936607
>>
>>7936598
but its true though, make a trans hate thread on /pol/ and nothing but men in wigs get posted. Women with fake moustaches dont seem to generate the same level of hatred even though they are doing the exact same thing.

I believe octocopters have some redundancy.
>>
>>7936618
hes right though, bread and butter stuff like lagrangian mechanics is never ever discussed on /sci/ only "dood warp drives and teleportation" general relativity and quantum mechanics ever get discussed
>>
>>7936629
now that i read this, im also certain that octo-roflcopters have some redundancy :D
>>
File: Episode12.jpg (65KB, 1920x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Episode12.jpg
65KB, 1920x1056px
Racism is not born from ignorance. It's necessary to quickly identify and react to threats both known and unknown. People have forgotten this because they've been detached from the wilderness for so long.
>>
>>7936472
>>7936486
In the old DSM-IV, GID focused on the "identity" issue -- namely, the incongruity between someone's birth gender and the gender with which he or she identifies. While this incongruity is still crucial to gender dysphoria, the drafters of the new DSM-5 wanted to emphasize the importance of distress about the incongruity for a diagnosis. (The DSM-5 uses the term gender rather than sex to allow for those born with both male and female genitalia to have the condition.)

This shift reflects recognition that the disagreement between birth gender and identity may not necessarily be pathological if it does not cause the individual distress, said Robin Rosenberg, a clinical psychologist and co-author of the psychology textbook "Abnormal Psychology" (Worth Publishers, 2009). For instance, many transgender people -- those who identify with a gender different than the one they were assigned at birth -- are not distressed by their cross-gender identification and should not be diagnosed with gender dysphoria, Rosenberg said.

Remember kids, homosexuality was also classified as a mental disorder.

;)
>>
ITT: retards. And a transvestite.
>>
>>7936670
A significant amount(greater than statistically normal) amount people who feel like they are in the wrong gender set are lesbians post op.
Another oddity is that transsexuals live lives with wives and children before transitioning.

This suggests that transsexuals are not as biological as homosexuality, but more mental given how sexual preference is not an outcome of your perceived gender when it normally should be.
>>
You can't answer a question with a 'just fukcing duckduckgo it m8'. It's a mediocre answer since most top links are wikipedia shit, most people can't understand
>>
>>7936697
Sexual preference has no bearing on gender identity. Just because most people are heterosexual in relation to their gender doesn't mean that, using their sexual preference, we can reverse engineer to who the identify as.

Your argument is furtively ad populum. Hopefully you know that your argument is probabilistic, hell, you mentioned statistics in your argument anyway.
>>
>>7936670
So if I, being the flaming masochist I am, had no problem being beaten, yelled at and disrespected by complete strangers, I would be considered mentally healthy?

You mean because I lack the socio-normative response to demeaning and painful actions, I too can claim that this is an innate condition and in no way was influenced by my life events or social interactions?

Sweet, back to shovin' jars up my ass cause it doesn't distress my mental state
>>
>>7936670
what are the scientific reasons for homosexuality to be or not be a mental disorder
>>
That's trans gender, transvestites know they aren't the opposite sex, they just get pleasure from wearing clothes that are "meant" for the other sex. Mental illness is also extremely opinion based, and though I would say trans gender people are idiots, I wouldn't say they're mentally ill.
>>
I think the reasoning only applies in the case of gender identity, not to literally everything in the universe like pedophilia, and sado-masochism. You're generalizing a principle that is only pertinent for a specific case.

You can shove jars up your ass and not be considered mentally ill. Your nonchalance could be indicative of other preexisting conditions (however, the specific act of apathy in regard to getting your ass kicked doesn't necessarily entail mental illness); if you're into that sexual kind of deviancy, go ahead. Why the fuck should label some faggot who loves shoving jars up his ass with a mental illness. You're just being lazy, logically speaking. And who cares anyway. They're not affecting anyone. It only becomes something worth talking about if they are hiding some repressed pains or uncomfortable childhood memories, then we could say the person is acting hysterical and is trying to "ab-react," subconsciously, to the repressed feels.
>>
>>7936749
this meant for
>>7936739
>>7936746
go look it up yourself, I don't give a fuck about doing research for lazy strangers
>>
>>7936735
Not sure if furitive is a good word to describe a fallacy, but gender is related to sexual identity.

If you're going to agree that a woman loving a woman happens say 1 out of 10 times per birth then it would be expected that a for ever man with a female brain, she would like a man 9 out of 10 times.

Since homosexuality is pretty much confirmed to be biological and a consequence of birth, if I am a woman born in a mans body and this is truly a genuine part of my genetics I should be held by the same standards of homosexual probability.
>>
File: pol meme.png (757KB, 3000x4500px) Image search: [Google]
pol meme.png
757KB, 3000x4500px
>>7936749
Here, I posted this meme for you
>>
>>7936752
>Not sure if furitive is a good word to describe a fallacy
oy gevalt, I wasn't describing the fallacy as furtive, but that it was situated furtively in your reasoning.

>Since homosexuality is pretty much confirmed to be biological and a consequence of birth, if I am a woman born in a mans body and this is truly a genuine part of my genetics I should be held by the same standards of homosexual probability

Thanks for agreeing with me.
>>
Lol, I'm not reading that. Especially /pol/ memes. Sorry if this makes me seem irrational. I honestly just don't care enough. I'll save it though and maybe read it later when I care.
>>
>>7936754
Except I`m not:

http://www.umass.edu/stonewall/uploads/listWidget/9002/Understanding%20Transgender%20Lives.pdf
One third of respondents (32%, n = 1120) reported that their sexual orientation is
bisexual, and 30% (n = 1029) identified as heterosexual. Sixteen percent (n = 567)
identified “Other”, which include but are not limited to “a mix of asexual, gay, and
heterosexual”, “ambivalent”, “attracted to genderqueer people”, “autobisexual”,
“bisexual when dressed in female clothes otherwise heterosexual”, “pansexual”, “queer”,
and “transgender lesbian.” Twelve percent identified as lesbian, four percent identified
as gay, and five percent identified as asexual. One percent of respondents (n=26) did not
respond to the question.
>>
>>7936750
>go look it up yourself, I don't give a fuck about doing research for lazy strangers
It wasn't a research question, it was a personal one. aka you can't.
>>
>>7936766
So you agree that you can't absolutely reverse engineer to the gender they "identify" as based on their sexual preference or no?

but that it will be merely probabilistic, and that there is no absolute certainty?

Let's first make it clear what we're arguing about.

>>7936770
That's not a personal question, its a scientific question. I haven't read that material in a long time, can't just give it to you from memory. Aka go read it yourself.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.