[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your opinion on Osteopathy? Is it pseudoscience? How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: osteopathic_medicine_symbol.jpg (13KB, 200x197px) Image search: [Google]
osteopathic_medicine_symbol.jpg
13KB, 200x197px
What is your opinion on Osteopathy? Is it pseudoscience? How do you feel about getting D.O. vs an M.D.?
>>
Depends what you want from it. DO's should be well trained in medicine. Opinions may vary, and I don't give a fuck so don't argue me on this point.

But if you want someone who practices hands-on musculo-skeletal therapy, an osteopath who specializes in that is the best physical therapist you will find, by a very big margin.
>>
you will think its shit - until you get a really bad back. (There are good and bad practitioners btw).
>>
>>7934989
gets a bad wrap but a DO can even become a surgeon or even chief medical staff
>>
>>7934989
>Is it a pseudoscience?

Absolutely, in the sense that it wasn't invented, developed, or improved through use of the scientific method.

Does it work? Probably for some stuff. Creating cavitations in joints relieves pain temporarily. Of course there's also the placebo effect.

>How do you feel about getting D.O. vs an M.D.?

Depends on how you feel about being a real doctor versus a slightly more dignified chiropractor.
>>
>>7935784

that is actually if you choose to implement these teachings into your practice. in a D.O program, you still learn the foundations of medicine, and can practice just as any M.D in any specialty that you complete a residency in.

Once I start applying for schools, if I only get into a D.O program, I'll have no quarrels about it. sure it may not have the allure of an M.D, but I want to be a forensic pathologist. My "patients" will not be concerned with what letters I have after my name.
>>
While we're talking about med schools, is there anything you can do to increase your chances besides good GPA and MCAT? The average GPA is mid-high 3's, and I'm in that range. Do things like community volunteer work or UG research help?

Will W's on my transcript hurt? I have 3
>>
File: 1383799493500.jpg (39KB, 317x265px) Image search: [Google]
1383799493500.jpg
39KB, 317x265px
Kids that couldnt make it into MD school.

I go to a low tier med school but fuck an MD from my med school is light years better than a DO from the best DO schools.

>tfw only one more year until graduation

Either way med school sucks. Dont do it.
>>
>>7934989
There is very little difference any more. They do the same residencies. I think there is one vestigial pseudo-science course DOs take in med school, that's the only difference. And with "alternative medicine" and "holistic approaches" creeping more and more into both degree programs, it's not like MD programs can claim the are devoted to science.
>>
>>7936255

I'm not sure about the W's, but I'm sure that knowing when to back out looks better than straight failing a class. Also, yes, volunteer work and research always look good. If you're in the US, you should buy into MSAR. Its a good way to see where you stand
>>
have fun in primary care when you could have got an edge as a DO and been a shoe in for the ROADS.
>>
>>7937581
>primary care
>not specializing
>going to school for 8 years to make as much as an engineer
>>
>>7937707
Nice to know some medics care about what is important, the money.
>>
>>7938714
This. Why do people go to med school for money? Money is the worst possible incentive for a career.
>>
>>7938783
Money is one of the biggest incentives for a career, if not the biggest. Don't know what world you're posting from.
>>
>>7937108
This is the only good post in this thread.

Med school for DOs and MDs are very similar save the OMM thing which most DOs don't practice. DOs can apply into MD residencies and fellowships as well as their own DO residences. In the past there was some discrimination against DOs, but nowadays they're pretty much considered the same.

I really think the only reason it still exists is because of older DOs who like that they have a special club. Students in DO programs usually didn't have the grades/MCAT for an MD school, had some unique situation that affected grades, or came to medicine after a different career path. There are good MDs and DOs and there are bad MDs and DOs.
>>
>>7938844
It signals to anyone who knows anything about medicine that you are a second class doctor, even if you aren't.
>>
>>7938862
/thread
>>
>>7938783

>this post ever being made by anyone who has actually gone to medical school.

Say money doesn't matter when you owe .5 mill in student loans.

>>7938844

This is a good post, read this. DOs are cool, MDs have a little more prestige because it is harder to get into med school. DOs have a harder time getting into residencies, and that likely wont change for a while.

Is a DO certain death to a medical career? not at all, or at least not nearly as bad as an MD from a caribbean school. Are MDs better doctors? I would say that most of what you learn about practice is learned in residencies, and at that point the comparison is between people and programs, and not degrees.

>>7938862
Yeah... no, it signals to anyone who knows that those are different but doesn't know how, that you are second rate. Can't help patient and population biases. Might be one of the reason the DOs I know are a little more humble and less likely to be a prick about things.

Source: in a top 20 NIH funded MD program
>>
>>7938783
I used to be that over optimistic idiot who thought that I could make my career a fun hobby only to find out that no matter how much you enjoyed the subject doing it professionally will suck the life out of it. Therefore you should indeed choose something you enjoy but you may as well do it for money because it's unlikely to be fun.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.