[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A friend and I had a discussion: who is better overall, Lagrange

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1

File: lve.jpg (98KB, 696x463px) Image search: [Google]
lve.jpg
98KB, 696x463px
A friend and I had a discussion:

who is better overall,
Lagrange (her opinion)
or
Euler (my opinion)

??

Take everything they've ever done into account.
>>
>>7932277
>comparing euler anyone lesser than gauss
euler wins always, he is the best and most productive mathematician ever lived.
>>
>>7932292
...right after Gauß.
>>
>>7932311
[citation needed]
>>
Euler. The answer to this question is always Euler.
>>
>>7932292
Quality>quantity. Lagrangian mechanics is basically Newtonian mechanics 2.0
>>
>>7932367
this 2bh
Lagrangian mechanics is absolutely gorgeous
>>
>>7932277
>Take everything they've ever done into account.
I think Euler was a bit of a cunt desu so I'd say Lagrange.
>>
>>7932277
If Euler is so great how come most people can't pronounce his name correctly xDDDDD
>>
>>7932426
>oiler
>>
>>7932333
>>7932292
[citation needed]
>>
The real question is why are you IRL /sci/ shitposting with a girl instead of bending her over and pounding that pussy?
>>
>>7932488
My mistress has me locked in chastity right now. :(
>>
>>7932504
don't you ever fucking assume that you're the op if you're not

>>7932488
it's called being friends, something most people on this site are not capable of, you're missing the point
>>
>>7932515
lol butthurt
>>
>>7932277
> one of them played with baby-tier calculus functions such as exp, cosine, sine, somehow gave unrigorous proof of basic facts such as konigsberg bridges or euler constant, and looks like a fucking mongoloïd retard on his portraits
> the other made revolutionary discoveries in analysis (multipliers, variational calculus), number theory, and physics (fluid mechanics), is responsible for the metric system, had a cool coat of arms, made bitches wet and had a cool name.

well ...
>>
>>7932515
Whoooa holy shit hostile.
I suppose I will just have to take my blood-engorged half boner that's currently straining against pink silicone elsewhere.

But just know that your anger has aroused me.
>>
>>7932530
good
>>
>>7932535
:^)
>>
pronunciation vs spelling ?
>>
>>7932545
btw id prefer oiler man
>>
>>7932277
depends on how you pronounce it.
>>
They're both colossi and no amount of partisanery will make you neets any closer to one or the other
>>
>>7932426
It is, and forever will be, Ü-ler in my heart
>>
>>7932277
Oiler > GauB > Lagrange 2bh
>>
>euler
apparently a cool guy
>lagrange
boring old fart
>>
>>7933705
it's lagrawnje, you fucking plebian
>>
>>7933782
Thanks anon, will remember it for next time.
>>
>>7932518
Which one is which can't tell from that wall of green
>>
>>7934317
>Euler
>Lagrange
>>
>>7932530

privelege checked
>>
Youler is better than Gaub errytime.
>>
Ha, Euler has nobody to compare to if you consider any mathematician before the 20th century. The dude was a real nigga.
>>
>>7932518
Agreed

Also let's not forget Lagrange was Italian
>>
>>7932333
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_things_named_after_Carl_Friedrich_Gauss
>>
>>7932515
either she is ugly as fuck or you are a fucking cuck.

You should be fucking her and making children RIGHT NOW
>>
Cauchy is no1 to be honest
>>
>>7934861
but vowed alliegance to France and participated in the French revolution. He was a good italo-french guy.
>>
>>7935875
>participated in the French revolution
Well, he just didn't run away, normie law abiding guy
>>
>>7935275
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_things_named_after_Leonhard_Euler
>Did you even try?
>>
>>7935910
I counted them pretty quickly but it looks like both lists have 90 entries.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89variste_Galois

>20yo
>initiate group theory

best potential
>>
i feel that cauchy and riemann are critically underrated
>>
>>7932367
Even by quality Euler >>>>>>> Lagrange.
>>
Holy fuck at the hipsters saying Lagrange over Euler. You guys talk as if Euler only did little problems while Lagrange made huge contributions, as if things Euler did didn't lead to the existence of entire fields of study.

>>7937227
Cauchy is definitely underrated. I thnk Riemann is only underrated here. MOst mathematicians I talk to list him in their top 5, top 10 at worst.
>>
>>7937227
Riemann is the only mathematician Grothendieck ever looked up to
>>
>>7933782
/ləˈɡrɑːndʒ
>>
>>7932367
>>7932410
They are called the Euler-Lagrane equations for a reason. This is technically a tie.
>>
>>7938417
Actually, Euler's name was tacked onto them as a homage because Euler did some rough work on variational calculus earlier. Lagrangian mechanics (which by the way are not just Newtonian mechanics 2.0, they are the basis of any physical theory now) are almost totally due to Lagrange.
>>
>>7935275
This is a shitty metric, because having things named after you doesn't correlate with accomplishing anything. For an example, see Stoke's Theorem.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.