[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 277
Thread images: 36

File: bender-1.png (21KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
bender-1.png
21KB, 256x256px
Stupid Questions Thread

>How many joules of heat are needed to change 50.0 grams of ice at -15.0 degrees celsius to steam at 120.0 degrees celsius?

I fucking missed this and now I'm lost. I'm supposed to use these equations multiple times or something:
[math]q=mC\DeltaT[/math]
[math]q=n\Delta H_{fusion or vapor}[/math]

What's the difference between these equations and what do I actually do with them?
>>
>>7930606
fucked up the equation, it's
[math]q=mC \Delta T[/math]
>>
>>7930606
energy needed to raise heat up to 120 degrees.

plus energy needed to change ice to vapour.

state changes cost energy.
increasing the temperature costs energy.

so you need to use both.

my chem is a bit rusty, but its 4.2x135 + whatever the vapour value is for ice.

sorry. high school chem was like 5 years ago.
>>
Should I take all mineral supplements at once or at separate times of the day?
Will they compete for absorption if taken at once?
I'm currently using magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium and iodine. What should I add?
>>
>>7930621
if you in a first world country dont bother taking any.

odds are you get enough from diet alone, and all extra vitamins just get shat out.

only exception is if you are old and cant eat properly.

or if you are a woman trying to get pregnant, in which case folate.
>>
Energy needed to raise temperature + heat of fusion + heat of vaporization. Make sure convert to 50.0g of water into moles then multiply by both ΔH and convert into Joules or Kilojoules if needed.
>>
>>7930897
would I need to do the first equation three times since the specific heat (C) is different for water/ice/vapor?
>>
yes s[ecific heat is different for ice/water/vapor. should be 5 calculations total (A=delta)
q=SMAT (ice)
(mass)(heat of fusion)
q=SMAT (water)
(mass)(heat of vap.)
+q=SMAT (gaseous water)
ANSWER
>>
>>7930921
ah yes of course, I apologize, I actually forgot about that but yes you are correct.
>>
>>7930606

>passed chem with a B
>MFW I didn't retain much because I hated it to death
>>
How long would it take someone like me to learn calculus well enough to be able to get a 4 on the AP Calculus test, given that I'm not a supergenius, but do have some level of mathematical talent?

None of the math on the exam seems difficult, I just don't know the process behind solving the problems.

Some problems from previous years: https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/secure/ap/pdf/calculus-ab/ap15_frq_calculus_ab.pdf?__gda__=1457965590_b9827ffe01bb95541c93d86d1443e4c7
>>
How is a matrix a vector? I mean how do they represent vectors in a vector space?
>>
>>7931789
You need to forget about what you know about vectors from high school. Vectors aren't just some arrows with a given length and a direction. They're instead defined as elements of a vector space, and many different things can be viewed as a vector space, not just the "arrows" you were taught in AP linear algebra. Real matrices (2x2 for example) are vectors because the set of all 2x2 matrices just so happens to fulfill all of the necessary axioms to call a set a vector space. You can look up these axioms on wikipedia.
>>
I'm programming 3D Tic-Tac-Toe for my class. Is there an efficient way to check for the winning condition? The first thing that comes to mind is obviously just checking all fours-in-a-row to see if any of them contains four of the same character. That's 72 combinations though, and I really don't want to bother with that shit.
>>
It is possible to discover the elastic modulus, breaking stress..... of hypotetical stuff (rpg, scifi stuff.....) ?
>>
>>7930650
This is not necessarily true, everyone's body utilizes resources at a different rate. I burn through potassium, so I have to take a supplement, also zinc and magnesium help. If you want good effects from a supplement use herbal supplements.
>>
How much wood would a would chuck chuck if a wood chuck coucl chuck wood?
>>
About 24.4 kJ. I did the math for you, but basically, you use the Equation q=Cm(delta)T and solve for each phase change as well as melting and vaporization
>>
>>7932097
No, modulus' are calculated through testing of stress and strain
>>
How to suck a scientific penis?
>>
>>7932104
How do you know you "burn through potassium"?
>>
Did I do something wacky?
Integrate 1/x dx from -1 to 1

ln(x) evaluated at -1 and 1

ln(1)-ln(-1)
0-ln(-1)
-ln(e^ipi)
-ipi

this seems sooo wrong
>>
>>7932298
Dude, since you are under the mathematical assumption that a natural log of a negative number is a complex number, that must mean that you are allowed to get an imaginary answer.
>>
>>7932303
so its wrong?

idk, i thought any negative number can be made complex
>>
File: 20160314_221317.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20160314_221317.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
how do I solve these sort of equations and what are master formulas I keep hearing about?
>>
File: Rudin, p121.png (19KB, 590x321px) Image search: [Google]
Rudin, p121.png
19KB, 590x321px
>>7930606
Any ideas on how to LaTeX this?
>>
>>7932441
$\int_{a}^{-b}f\mathop{\mathrm{d}x} = \inf U(P,f)$ for the first one. You can do the second yourself now.
>>
>>7932441
u the mean cobra charmer?
>>
>>7932447
That isn't a negative b...I'm starting to see a problem with this notation.
My best try so far:
[eqn] \overline{\int}^{b}_a f := \inf U(f,t) [/eqn]
[eqn] \underline{\int}^b_a f := \sup L(f,t) [/eqn]
>>
>>7932460
Oh sorry, you can try \overline or \bar
>>
Do my homework for me, /sci/

I need to write a research proposal. I can do all the literature research and actual writing myself, but I need a convincing topic (as in: something that could possibly yield innovative and interesting results that could be of actual use to the field). Problem is: the requirements state that we need to make use of "large-scale" instruments such as neutron sources, muon sources, synchrotron radiation sources (and any of its applications such as PEEM, XAS etc.), mass spectrometry. And those devices aren't my cup of tea (I usually work with small, portable analysers and simple physico-chemical analysis).
So, please help me out.
>>
>>7930650
>if you in a first world country dont bother taking any.
odds are you get enough from diet alone, and all extra vitamins just get shat out.
Only if you have an actually healthy, diverse diet. More so than average, to really get enough of everything.
>>
>>7932298
Your interval is from [-1,1] but what happens when x=0? you get 1/0 which DNE.
[eqn]\int_{-1}^{0} \dfrac{1}{x} dx + \int_{0}^{1} \dfrac{1}{x} dx = DNE[/eqn]
>>
I'm tutoring someone in intro combinatorics and this was on their homework so it should be easy, but it stumped me.

Count the number of length 2n strings on the alphabet 1,1,2,2,3,3,...,n,n that do not have any consecutive digits the same.

Should be ~basic~ inclusion exclusion but I'm not getting it.
>>
File: UvvJiP4.jpg (265KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
UvvJiP4.jpg
265KB, 1920x1080px
What is an electron?
Seriously, I have no idea if it's considered matter or energy or somewhere in between, it's never been explained that well to me.
>>
>>7930606
Is adderall worth it?
>>
>>7932963
Really depends on your personal circumstances and response to the drug.

It's pretty good for focusing intently on something that needs brainpower when you've removed all distractions, but overdo the dose and you'll have a lot of psychomotor agitation and cumpulsively get up and pace around a lot. With me, the euphoria is unsettling and strongly optimistic, nonjudgemental and disinhibited thoughts/actions can mess me up. Using it regularly is something I'd caution against for most people, though it was fine for Erdos. If you're constantly in an all hands on deck stressful intellectual situation or already constantly pushing yourself to 110% without the drugs, it is rather helpful. Think Bill Gates study binges.
ADHD and borderline patients can take regular doses to downregulate monoamine receptors and lead to decreased impulsivity, so this may be useful if you find yourself sperging out a fuckton or being very easily distracted by the vaguest hint of pleasure (i.e. procrastinating on 4chan/funnyjunk)
>>
>>7933036
>funnyjunk

I had to check that this site still existed. Do people (you) go here regularly? I almost can't believe it.
>>
>>7932706
Well on that scale mass and energy are convertible and one of the same. Essentially though an electron is just a point-particle fermion which means it does have mass, so you can consider it matter if you want.
>>
Okay this is a very stupid question...
What is the function of the distance of an object in time, assuming initial distance is 0, and it has a initial speed upwards of v_0 and there is a gravitational acceleration of the object of g.

the formula is basically something like a downwards parabola, since I know the object rises, then falls... because gravity.
>>
>>7933077
Btw I forgot to say that the gravity push downwards, if that was not clear enough.
>>
Can anyone recommend me any books similar to The 10,000 Year Explosion or stuff by Nicholas Wade?
>>
>>7933041
It's on an upswing desu
>>
File: Untitled.png (25KB, 585x503px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
25KB, 585x503px
I was looking through these tuition from different colleges and I am kind of confused on these estimates. Do I really have to pay 52k a year even when I live with relatives (parents)? I know the tuition and fees are mandatory, but what's up with still paying with room and board, books and supplies, and transportation at those prices? Are those just estimates on what the college thinks I would be paying, or do they expect me to pay those kind of prices? Say I pirate all my books, so I would still have to pay 1635?
>>
>>7933291
Good family makes you pay rent when you live in their house as an adult.
>>
>>7933291
books and supplies, transportation, and personal are the colleges estimates of what you will need.

that tuition though, hope you got mad scholarships
>>
File: Im shit at math.png (11KB, 351x299px) Image search: [Google]
Im shit at math.png
11KB, 351x299px
Im having a problem with the group of permutations.

Im given two permutations: f=613542 and g=231564

these are just abbreviations of [math]f= \binom {123456} {613542}[/math] and [math]g={123456 \choose 231564}[/math]

I multiplied them by doing g then f and got a permutation y=142563

But then I tried to do [math]f^-1*y*g^-1=f^-1*f*g*g^-1[/math] and got 524631 (instead of the desired 123456)

Further when I tried to do [math]f^-1*(y*g^-1)[/math] I got 524631, where as with [math](f^-1*y)*g^-1[/math] I got 165324.

So clearly I am doing something very very wrong.

How do I compose two permutations? How do I do 3 permutations? What am I doing when I do pic relate (which is the process I go through when I do these compositions)

Mind you when I tried calculating f^-1 and g^-1 it worked just fine and gave me back 123456
>>
File: nHnFc[1].png (67KB, 1334x349px) Image search: [Google]
nHnFc[1].png
67KB, 1334x349px
>>7933921
While im at it, let me delete a thread I had earlier and post it here.
>>
File: Isnt a group - Copy.png (21KB, 654x451px) Image search: [Google]
Isnt a group - Copy.png
21KB, 654x451px
>>7933926
and the original picture.
>>
>>7933921
your picture is wrong at line ''g'' for 6 and 5
>>
>>7933921
>>I multiplied them by doing g then f and got a permutation y=142563
this is false fith guy

y = 152463

once again, you miss some thing for the fourth : 4->5->4

if you want, write f^-1 and g^-1 to see what happens at step
>>
>>7933941
Oh sorry, I was actually wrong in the post and meant to say g=231654
>>
>>7933945
no after redoing my composition I still came to 142563.

The problem is that I am clearly not using the proper operation, but I dont understand what that operation is
>>
I completed an AS of science for engineering with a 4.0. Should I change my major to something better/harder
>>
>>7932365
>trig with degrees
BURN IT WITH FIRE.

In all seriousness all you need is Euler's formula, De Moivre's formula, Pythagorean identities, and rudimentary algebra techniques to do trig. I was taught trig in a bullshit, hand wavy way.
>>
>>7934023
same here bro. I'm transferring soon to a MechE program.
>>
File: meteora-greece.jpg (184KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
meteora-greece.jpg
184KB, 1200x800px
What kind of software do geologist (particularly geochemist) use? I want to familiarize myself with it.

If I was applying to geology jobs that would be a useful software to have experience in?
>>
File: Untitled.png (3MB, 1548x1488px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3MB, 1548x1488px
did I solve this correct, the book asks at what acceleration the block will move
>>
Does the government have protocol for the discovery/contact of alien life? If so does it have protocol for the discovery of less advanced and less intelligent alien life?
>>
>>7934661

>Does the government have protocol for the discovery/contact of alien life?

prolly

>If so does it have protocol for the discovery of less advanced and less intelligent alien life?

try and play god because humans suck and crave absolute control
>>
v is a function of t

v = 55(1- 0,9^t)
calculate v ' (15)
>>
>>7934133
>in silico geology
*Sunglasses*
>>
File: plug.jpg (18KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
plug.jpg
18KB, 300x450px
Why do the plugs have faces on them?
>>
>>7934764
So that you see someone before you poke a knife into it and kill yourself.
>>
>>7933082
bump
>>
>>7934653
what is friction
>>
Any help would be appreciated.

There are only 6 streets in a city. A tourist tried to walk each street
just once but then he realized that to see the whole city he needs to walk each
street twice. Please draw a possible map of this city
>>
>>7934881
What is a street tho

does 1 building and 4 roads count as 4 streets?
>>
>>7934881
it's graph theory, so a street is represented by an edge between two vertices
>>
>>7934890
_._._
|X|X|X|

?
>>
>>7934898
interesting, but each street needs to be traversed twice. i think it might resemble something like this
>>
I'm starting Chemistry in September.

I know I'm smart enough to achiede decent results, but I'm nowhere near being an actual genious.
Also I've never studied anything until one year ago, so while my Math fundamentals are pretty solid everything else is kinda poor at the moment.

What I want to ask you is: is it worth it? Can my not astounding mind contribute in any meaningful field?
Should I just try 24/7 to make money and maybe study all these things by myself (or maybe in my 40s)?
>>
>>7934920
if you get answer pls post it here
>>
>>7934936
>I know I'm smart enough to achiede decent results
This thinking will give you mediocreness and lazyness.
Everyone thinks they're smart enough.
"But I didn't try, care."
>>
Hello anons, I know this might sound quite stupid but I still dont get it: While I understand that a function is injective iff ker f = {e}, why is this enough to prove that it is indeed injective, it could have it's kern mapped to the neural element and still have a=/=b be f(a)=f(b)?
>>
>>7935083
actually meant null elements could map to each other while the others don't, or am I missing something within the definition of a kernel?
>>
imagine we already control a quantum computer,

which problems would be analyzed in first place?

what operations need to be solved by this method?
>>
File: bearded-old-indian-man.jpg (121KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bearded-old-indian-man.jpg
121KB, 720x1080px
How do I find the value of k:

3x^2+kx-5 = -7x^2+kx+1
or generally
ax^2+kx+b=cx^2+kx+d

I just remember seeing this somewhere, not sure if the q's right. Does it even have a solution?
>>
On short term classes, do teachers post grades within a certain time or can they wait until the semester ends to post grades? I go a community college that has 16 weeks per semester. I took two eight week classes in the first half of the semester and they ended March 11th. Are those teachers required to post grades within two-three weeks, or can they wait until the end of the 16 week semester?
>>
>>7935217
10x^2+(k-k)x-6=0
10x^2-6=0
>>
Dear /sci/

I will be going on a trip to China soon, and I thought it would be nice to learn something new in my down time while there. Can any of you recommend me a good book/textbook on Organic chemistry that I can read while over there? Thanks.
>>
>>7935083
Suppose f(a) = f(b) and multiply both sides by f(b^{-1}).
>>
File: 1458145552861171322437.jpg (1MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
1458145552861171322437.jpg
1MB, 4096x2304px
>>7934653
I think it's like this?
>>
File: 1458145869267-1697728410.jpg (1MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
1458145869267-1697728410.jpg
1MB, 4096x2304px
>>7932365
These should help you
>>
File: sun.png (358KB, 1114x1616px) Image search: [Google]
sun.png
358KB, 1114x1616px
I'm trying to answer questions 2 and 3 on this sheet but I don't know how to approach it or which formulas to use.

I got the following answers for the first question, although I'm only 98% sure that they're correct.
Gv=2.65 kW/m^2
θv=0.37°
Gm=0.59 kW/m^2
θm=0.18°
>>
>>7936326
thanks, I think I am getting it. So this works because it is a homomorphism?
>>
>>7936375
>>7936367
>too lazy to use latex, i rather take a picture with my bad quality phone
>>
>>7936552
Yes, exactly. It is, of course, unreasonable to expect any arbitrary function to have this property.
>>
>>7930606
Lmao who's your Chem teacher?
>>
>>7936732
>trusting /sci/'s leltex
>>
File: 1455832091878.jpg (73KB, 609x609px) Image search: [Google]
1455832091878.jpg
73KB, 609x609px
Hey /sci/ so I'm REALLY struggling in statics. I don't even know why, but this shit is so damn complicated to me. Part of it is just that it's taken a backseat to courses I think are much more difficult (physics III for example) and it's kinda caused me to fall behind.

What are the best resources to go back and just really get a grip on it? I've flipped through our textbook, and find it kind of sparce in this department.

We just hit truss analysis, but I'd also like to hop back and review internal normal, shear, and moment.

I also wouldn't mind tips if you had them. I have a tendency to look at problems and just go "I have no fucking clue what to start" until I look up the damn problem.
>>
Resnick // Kleppner
Serway // Purcell + Griffiths
Goldstein // Taylor
Jackson // Zangwill
Hecht // ?????

Looking for alternative/supplement to classic Hecht. Not necessarily at the same level, but easier to digest, more in-depth explanations and less verbose.
>>
(1/4)x^(-3/4) = 1/(4x^(3/4))

How does that follow?
>>
>>7938295
x^(-3/4) = 1/x^(3/4)
>>
>>7937702
Draw good pictures.
>>
Any tips for interviews? Might have to fly out for a big one in a few weeks. Any tips? The position in for engineering, but it's more in a lab environment with plasma phys experiments.
>>
Why is it called 1H NMR, but carbon is 13C NMR?
>>
>>7936177
ORganic Chemistry, Maitland Jones.
>>
im shit at math but im trying to learn. sorry if my stupid question is too stupid

Trying to learn symmetry of a graph
can someone give me an example of what pic related R(x) would look like if R(-x) = -R(x)

I don't really understand what the negative sign in front of the R is supposed to make it look like
>>
>>7930621

You should already be getting enough from a balanced diet.

>>7931759

Should take roughly 2-3 weeks if you spend around 3 hours a day, 4-5 on weekends.

It doesn't require talent, just hard work.

>>7931789

Your question was answered rather well by another person.

>>7932097

No.

>>7933291

Yes. College is expensive. Make sure you get scholarships. Don't pirate textbooks. Buy them off others for a fraction of the price.

>>7934023

Yes, if it directly translates into an advantage over others in an interview.

>>7935145

We already have quantum computers. Look up D-Wave Sytems. They are used for optimization.

>>7936167

Teachers can do whatever they want. It is your responsibility to personally ask your instructor.

>>7936167

David Klein, 2nd Edition. ISBN-13: 978-1118452288
ISBN-10: 1118452283
>>
File: Game 2.png (17KB, 1351x431px) Image search: [Google]
Game 2.png
17KB, 1351x431px
The equilibrium for this game is (0,3) right?

Assuming full information and rationality for both players.
>>
>>7939710
>Don't pirate textbooks.
why?
>>
>>7932097
It is if you are given canon feats about how much force it took to break a certain sized chunk of unobtanium or whatever
>>
>>7931996
I just progran on my calc so I don't really know shit about cs, but I'd make it a matrix with Os being 0 and Xs being 1, and empty places being pi or some non integer number.

The program would take the average of each row, and if it's an integer number, then its a winner row. Do the same for columns.
You'll have to take the average of two diagonals by hand, but it is what it is.
>>
>>7939723

Even though the express first answer would be that it is illegal, many universities / publishers will go after you if you pirate in large amounts.

Academic publishers don't mess around, telling you this for your own good.
>>
>>7938295
X =1,0
>>
>>7939740
Oops, my bad, actually just 1
>>
>>7939738
I've been doing it for years and I'm fine.
>>
>>7930606
Supposed I have a system of equations [math]Ax=b[/math] where I have enough initial and boundary conditions to solve the system, but of the unknowns are in [math]x[/math] and some of the unknowns are in [math]b[/math].

How do I solve the system?
>>
File: Balls.gif (2MB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
Balls.gif
2MB, 480x300px
Given 100 G units what's better considering you can consume those units 5,25,50,100 at a time:

20 extra G units
or
10% economy when consuming G units
>>
File: Gears.png (56KB, 1893x819px) Image search: [Google]
Gears.png
56KB, 1893x819px
Help with this
>>
>>7939951

The change in RPM from the crank to the back wheel is given by the ratio of the number of teeth. So (RPM back wheel) = (RPM front crank)*48/11. Using the RPM of the back wheel, you can calculate the speed of the bicycle.

The torque in the front is equal to the torque in the back. Use this to determine the torque in the back, considering the torque in the front is 100*7 in*lb. Use this torque to determine the force on the wheel.
>>
>>7939778

Sooner or later, your luck will run out.
>>
>>7939980
>The torque in the front is equal to the torque in the back.
Lrn2gearing fgt pls
>>
>>7939705
instead of R, you use the usual symbol F of cuntions.
f[x] is read on the vertical axis, x is read on the horizontal axis.

the vertical axis usually separate the negative numbers form the positive numbers, so if you take a x positive, then -x is negative. this is a symmetry with respect to [wrt] the vertical axis.

now, you ask ''how does F behave under this symmetry wrt the vertical axis, namely what happens to f[x], once I apply a transformation on the domain of F, ''x becomes -x'' ?''

then you have :
<> f[-x]=f[x] [the function is even],
concretely, the graph the left of the vertical axis is the same on the right of the vertical axis
OR
<>f[-x]=-f[x] [the function is odd]
OR
<>f[-x] whatever else
>>
Physics minors worth it ? I am already STEM major
>>
For those who are students of physics...

What are the important topics in an upper level Classical Mechanics + E&M course?
>>
>>7939990

I actually just guessed on that. Haven't done physics or engineering in forever. How do you find the torque in the back?
>>
Do supermassive black holes become massive from consuming the mass of black holes?

Do ultramassive black holes exist?

Could the universe stop expanding and contract?

What affect could a black hole the size of a penny have on the Earth?

Do black holes lead to lesser spatial dimensions?

Where does the energy from white holes come from?
>>
>>7939982
Good thing I'm not in the US then where everything is fucked up with gun solutions.
>>
see, i have this friend who loves to tell me about his philosophical views of the flavour "we cannot no nuffin/brain in a jar" etc.

which arguments can i use to shut him the fuck up?
>>
>>7940047
"Who the fuck cares?" comes to mind; also "What difference does it fucking make?"

If that fails, punch him in his face and then deny that you did it, since we cant know nuffin
>>
>>7939710
>Look up D-Wave Sytems.
There's still debate over whether they're the real deal
>>
>>7940009
Prolly Lagrangian mech, rotating frames of reference and EM waves
>>
Why can't we just "normally" integrate a function when at some point, the function reaches a negative value? In my class, we had to partition the function from the intercepts to find the area. Why not just integrate the function and take its absolute value?
>>
>>7940267
What you mean if a function crosses zero between a and b, just integrate it from a and b?

Should be fine.
>>
>>7940283
from a *to b I mean
>>
>>7940283
>>7940284
but when the fnction goes under the x axis, the area will be negative
>>
>>7940267
Well to find the area under a function you have to integrate over the absolute value of said function which is in general not the same as taking the absolute value of the integral. For example look at [eqn] |\int_{-1}^1 x \operatorname{dx} | = 0 \not= 1 = \int_{-1}^1 |x| \operatorname{dx}[/eqn]
As you can see the reason that the expressions are not equal is that the integral over the negative part of the function is negative and cancels out the positive part if you take the the absolute value after integrating. So if you want to know the area "under" the function without regard of the sign you have to first take the absolute value and then integrate. And the easiest way to integrate the absolute value of a function is to split the function in a negative and a positive part.
>>
>>7940293
Oh you want the total area both over and under? You'd need to take the absolute value of the function and then integrate it.
>>
>>7940047
take a course on philosophy of science and learn that scientists are hear to give us stories about our fantasy of reality and also to make us feel good in giving us material goods, nothing more.
>>
>>7940303
rigt tat's wat I meant, sorry
>>
File: IMG_9618.jpg (22KB, 457x512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9618.jpg
22KB, 457x512px
I no OP IRL and he's an autist. Pic related
>>
I'm about to be 24 without having started college. Should I kill myself?
>>
File: sperm_whale_small[1].jpg (31KB, 1487x750px) Image search: [Google]
sperm_whale_small[1].jpg
31KB, 1487x750px
>>7930606
How easy would it be for a whale to talk to you and for you to understand it if it spoke your language given water acoustics? Would it be ear-shatteringly loud because whale noises can carry so far? Would it be totally indecipherable because water acoustics?
>>
Quick physics question about velocity change on an object on a rough surface.

So 2kg block has two forces acting on it.
a 8N force to the right and a 6N force to the left. I am also told that the maximum static and kinetic friction is 1N for both.

I don't know how to properly do this. Shit is pissing me off.

I solve for acceleration for the 8N force first and I get a negative acceleration of -5.8 m/s^2
however, when I solve for acceleration in the 6N force I get a postive 6.8m/^s2.... now what?
>>
>>7940683
you should start college...
>>
Why doesn't [math] y=e^x [/math] have an infinite amount of roots if it can be represented by an infinite polynomial?
>>
>>7940967
It's expressed as a formal power series though, not an "infinite polynomial". Polynomials by definition are finite. That way they can have things like roots and an order. Power series are different. They are just sometimes introduced as "infinite polynomials" because that's what they look like.
>>
Could anyone give me a working link for the pdf of "W.S.C. Williams, Nuclear and Particle Physics"?

Libgen and Bookzz only give me a grainy unreadable version...
>>
>>7932441
[eqn]\int_a^{-b} f \; dx = \inf U(P,f)[/eqn] \int_a^{-b} f \; dx = \inf U(P,f)
>>
File: 220px-Tubular_neighborhood3[1].png (11KB, 220x306px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Tubular_neighborhood3[1].png
11KB, 220x306px
does orientability imply trivial normal bundle, when considering n-dim manifolds in n+1-dim euclidean spaces ? if so, how to see it ?
>>
>>7940863
You should add the force vectors first then apply friction to the resultant
>>
>>7941127
>does orientability imply trivial normal bundle, when considering n-dim manifolds in n+1-dim euclidean spaces ?

Yes
>>
For a massless body orbiting the earth, only experiencing the gravitational effects of the earth and J2 perturbations, does it make sense for the energy to fluctuate?
The change in semi-major axis is given as [math]\frac{da}{dt}= \frac{2}{na}\frac{\partial R}{\partial M_0}[/math], where R is the perturbing potential and M_0 is the initial Mean anomaly.

Since the semi-major axis and energy are related to one another, a change in one should mean an change in the other, right?
>>
can some1 post the pic of that 4.0 gpa dude who's in EE and used to frequent /sci/?
>>
I'm a physics major and a fairly unknown school, and got in with fairly prestigious internships, one at a national lab, and one at cal-tech. Which one would be better in the long run?

The national lab internship tends to have a very good retention rate, and tends to hire people out of undergrad and pay for their grad school. I'm not sure what the exact number is, but I've been told its ~3/4.

The program at CT is with a professor that would be my first choice for a PhD advisor.
>>
finding the series of 1/5, -4/3, 27/7, -8, 125/9

Am I right in thinking a(n) = n^n divided by some function? with a (-1)^n-1 in there
>>
>>7941843
nth term is [math]\frac{(-1)^{n-1}n^3}{n+4}[/math]
>>
>>7941849
>leltex
Let's try again.

nth term is [math] \frac{ (-1)^{n - 1} n^3 }{ n + 4 } [/math]
>>
>>7941851
Holy shit I'm an idiot thankyou so much. I fucked about through first year maths on C's and I'm busting my ass tryna get back on track.
>>
suppose A is a square symmetric n x n matrix. If A is positive-definite, -4A is also positive-definite. True or False?

If a matrix is positive-definite if z^T A is positive for every non-zero column vector. So then every column vector in A is greater than or equal to zero. So every column vector in -4A must be less than or equal to zero, right? So it isn't positive-definite?
>>
>>7934936
Hard work gets results, not smarts.
>>
What's the story with gorillas?
>>
File: jA0H0.jpg (329KB, 1440x816px) Image search: [Google]
jA0H0.jpg
329KB, 1440x816px
How thick is Milky Way (not counting central bar), relative to its diameter? Is it in similar proportions to a hockey puck? A coin? A vinyl record?

How far from the solar system would you have to go in order to get an unobstructed view of the galactic disk? Is it feasible with current tech to build a space probe that could reach that far, take pictures, and beam them back to earth?
>>
>>7942111
Average thickness is 10k ly, at nucleus it's 30k. diameter is 100k ly, so the diameter is ~3.33*thickness. A quarter is 0.955 inches wide and 0.069 inches thick, so diameter is ~13.84*thickness. A hockey puck is basically the same ratio, 1 inch thick by 3 inches wide.

Horizontal field of view of human binocular vision is 62 degrees either way on average. Just draw a right angled triangle with 62 degrees angle and the opposite side being 50k ly.
>>
>>7942205
>>7942111
So you'd have to be ~26.6 thousand light years away. Voyager 1 has reached ~12 billion km, which is 0.00127 light years. Sooooo we're 4.77E-10 % there.
>>
>>7930606
>bender
Why?
>>
can you get serotonin syndrome from taking too much prozac at one time? I just started on prozac after quitting for a long time and took 60mg in one go? is this safe? or do you need to taper up gradually?
>>
Got deleted for some reason, here's how far we'd got: https://warosu.org/sci/thread/S7940409#p7940409
Anyhow, there is this: http://gfs.khmeyberg.de/Klassenarbeiten-Klausuren/Physik/0910KlausurNachschreibKurs12Ph3g20091209Loesung.pdf
(exercise 5 and "solution" there, in German)
You have a coil which is 30cm long and around which the wire is wrapped as closely as possible in 1 layer (N=300). Its diameter is 2cm.
Since the wire couldn't withstand the current, it is replaced by a wire with doubled thickness, so that it's wrapped in two layers.
Under otherwise equal conditions, did B change?
The "solution" says no, since only the cross-sectional area of the coil changed and that doesn't come up in [eqn]B = μ0 * \frac{I*N}{l}[/eqn]
But I say, isn't [math]I[/math] antiproportional to R and R antiproportional to A through [eqn]R = \frac{ρ*l}{A}[/eqn] thus, I proportional to A and wouldn't [math]I[/math] then increase by consequence due to the increase in area, which is four-fold? Even if N is halved through the 2 layers, B still gets doubled.
If you feel this is all utterly retarded and think you need to explain it to me like a baby, go ahead, I won't mind if it helps me see the light.
>>
>>7930606
a) what organization is stupid enough to give me money to do this

b) i wanna climb down there (inna 15 people) [pic].
how can i make it not a one way journey... (i want to crawl out? not die)

c) earth has magma... fire needs oxygen... what is the chance these large sinkholes/holes are air tubes for magma? i dun wanna land in some fucking fire. is this totally retarded?
>>
You can live, thread!
>>
>>7932298

Even ignoring that the function is not continuous in that interval, the indefinite integral of 1/x is ln(|x|) + C not ln(x) + C.
>>
>>7942498
>can you get serotonin syndrome from taking too much prozac at one time?
Not really, no.
SSRIs maintain an elevated postsynaptic concentration of serotonin to downregulate the 5-HT receptors. (Change in postsynaptic serotonin is essentially immediate, the 3+ week delay in treatment response is due to the receptor downregulation that takes a while.) You mostly taper up to better tolerate the side effects.
Large overdoses are tolerated without any signs of serotonin toxicity. In one case study an anorexic woman regularly took 5x the max dose multiple times a day for appetite suppression.
Watch out for stuff like St. Johns wort though
>>
File: Bayes.png (140KB, 846x956px) Image search: [Google]
Bayes.png
140KB, 846x956px
I''m stuck with the exercise in pic related. It's about Bayes network.
From the given rules, I can infer that:
X -> (+) Y also means P(y1 | x1, u) > P(y1 | u)
and
X -> (-) Y also means P(y1 | x1, u) < P(y1 | u)

But when it comes down to a reasoning involves 3 nodes (such as D -> C -> T). I don't know how to prove it or where to start.

Thanks in advance.
>>
retard here, the next system is solvable using a 4th order Runge-Kutta method?

[eqn]\frac{dX}{dt}=\mu X \left ( 1 - \frac{P}{P_{max}^{'}} \right )[/eqn]
[eqn]\frac{dP}{dt}=\left ( A \frac{dX}{dt}+BX \right ) \left (1 - \frac{P}{P_{max}^{'}} \right )[/eqn]
[eqn]\frac{dS}{dt}=- \frac{1}{Y_{X/S}} \frac{dX}{dt}- \frac{1}{Y_{P/S}}\frac{dP}{dt}-mX[/eqn]
[eqn]\mu=\mu_{max} \frac{S}{K_{s}+S}[/eqn]

everything is constant except X, S and P.
In the dP/dT equation, I can just replace dX/dt expression and solve dP/dt? same for dS/dt?
>>
>>7944098
Please help.
>>
Why does:

[eqn]\lim_{(x,y)\to (0,0)} \frac{2x^{4}+5y^{3}}{8x^{2}-9y^{3}} [/eqn]

Equal 0?
>>
>>7944525

[eqn] \lim_{(x,y)\to (0,0)} \frac{2x^{4}+5y^{3}}{8x^{2}-9y^{3}} [/eqn]
>>
>>7944525
>>7944529
L E L T E X
E
L
T
E
X

[eqn]\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{2x^{4}+5y^{3} }{8x^{2}-9y^{3} }[/eqn]
>>
I'm a/b testing my memes in the field: /pol/thread/68104577

Could use some feedback, what do you think?
>>
File: GAME.jpg (39KB, 861x566px) Image search: [Google]
GAME.jpg
39KB, 861x566px
>>7939714
It is. Just an FYI, it's bad practice to describe the solution of a game in terms of payoffs.
>>
>>7944537
It doesn't consider (x_n, y_n) = (n^(-3), n^(-2)).
>>
>>7944559
Sheesh anon.

>>>/pol/68104577
>>
>>7944568
Thanks Anon
>>
Consider Weierstrass' original function:
[eqn]f(x) = \sum_{n=0} ^\infty a^n \cos{ (b^n \pi x) }[/eqn]
where
[math]0 < a < 1[/math], [math]b[/math] is a positive odd integer, and [math]ab > 1 + \frac{3}{2} \pi[/math].
It's known that the function is nowhere differentiable.

However, if we still try to find the derivative of such a function anyway, from the sum rule in differentiation:
[eqn]f'(x) = \sum_{n=0} ^\infty -a^n b^n \pi \sin{ (b^n \pi x) }[/eqn]

Since [math]\sin{k \pi} = 0[/math] for any integer [math]k[/math], it would mean that the function is differentiable at the points where [math]x[/math] is an integer, since at those points,
[eqn]f'(x) = \sum_{n=0} ^\infty -a^n b^n \pi \sin{k \pi} = \sum_{n=0} ^\infty 0 = 0[/eqn]
where [math]k = b^n x[/math] is an integer.

Yet as Weierstrass had proved, his function is nowhere differentiable.

Furthermore, this can be extended to show that the general cosine Weierstrass function is differentiable at [math]x = 0[/math], because at [math]x = 0[/math], the derivative is equal to 0, for the above reason.

Can anyone explain this contradiction?
>>
>>7944645
>for the above reason
Oops, it's a slightly different reason.

The derivative is equal to 0 at [math]x = 0[/math] because
[eqn]f'(x) = \sum_{n=0} ^\infty -a^n b^n \pi \sin{0} = \sum_{n=0} ^\infty 0 = 0[/eqn]
>>
>>7942560
After waking up, I can slightly pinpoint my issue with this to being, in 1 sentence, "you can't possibly lower the resistance without increasing the current"
>>
File: blog.jpg (224KB, 800x639px) Image search: [Google]
blog.jpg
224KB, 800x639px
is aura stalking a real thing?

is there ions in my body and outside? do they all collect at the poles to charge the blanet? i read about the aurora borrealis and it said the ions pull to the poles.
>>
File: EKeb7uG.png (19KB, 665x338px) Image search: [Google]
EKeb7uG.png
19KB, 665x338px
>>7930606
Why is the answer 124?
I got 89 when I tried 180-A-B
Isn't that the correct formula for finding B
>>
>>7930606

OP's Question:
I'm too lazy to read the rest of the thread to see if this has been answered, but yeah you need to break up this question into parts, because the phases of water have different heat capacities, and the transitions between phases also absorb energy.

It'll look something like:

[integral function over T = -15 C to 0 C (when ice melts)] + [heat of fusion] + [integral function over T = 0 degrees C to 100 degrees C (water boils)] + [heat of vaporization] + [integral function over T=100 C to 120 C]

If you're still here, I can work it out for you and give you a formal answer with solution on paper. Otherwise, too lazy.
>>
>>7936177
Organic Chemistry, Clayden
>>
Are objective properties of numbers, like them being prime and divisible by other numbers a by-product of the base 10 system? Do they maintain the same properties when you switch to a different base? Are there still like the digits add up to something for numbers divisible by 3 and 9? Do all the divisibility rules still hold, even though they may be expressed differently?
>>
>>7944855
B is 180 - 56.
Because a straight line is 180 and B' is 56.

C is obviously 180 - 35 - (180-56).
C' is 90 - 56.
>>
>>7930606
Proposition: If [math] k [/math] is a compact set, then, [math] sup ~ K ~ ~ \text {and} ~ ~ inf ~ K [/math] both exist and are elements of [math] K [/math]

Proof: Since [math] K [/math] then it is closed and bounded. Then there exists some M such that for all [math] x \in K , ~ ~ |x| \leq M [/math], that is to say [math] M= sup ~ K [/math], so [math] sup K [/math] exists. Next show that M is an element of K. Let [math] ( x _n ) [/math] be a sequence in [math] K [/math] whose limit is M, because K is closed it contains its limit points, therefore [math] M = \lim ( x _n ) \in K ~ \blacksquare[/math]

Long question short, I'm certain that this proof is wrong, particularly the second part. Anyone got any feedback?
>>
>>7944886
>Are there still like the digits add up to something for numbers divisible by 3 and 9?
Try proving this one yourself and you'll see the answer.
The proof is very easy.

>>7944886
>Are objective properties of numbers, like them being prime and divisible by other numbers a by-product of the base 10 system?
No.
>>
>>7944855
You want to find B.
B + 56 = 180.
>>
>>7944894
Thanks. Hungover so can't think properly, but I also ask myself really bizzare things when hungover. I once thought I would make a fortunate by monetising naming stars.
>>
When they write: -5^2

Do they mean -(5^2) or (-5)^2?

What is the order of operations here? Does the (-) sign count as a multiplication (of -1)?
>>
>>7944922
It's obviously -(5^2), because otherwise you have no reason to put a minus there in the first place, since (x^2) = ((-x)^2)
>>
>>7944732
Reading this gave me cancer, twice.

>>>/x/
>>
File: 1379592378714.png (3KB, 142x138px) Image search: [Google]
1379592378714.png
3KB, 142x138px
How do I actually use the stream function (fluid flow stuff) to explain anything?

I don't really understand how it can be analytically useful. It's just a %psi thing...that came from a mathematical trick applied to the continuity equation?
>>
>>7944950
>>>/pol/
fucking bigot
>>
>>7944933
Pretty sure you're wrong. Unless it's put in parentheses and the negative is outside of said parentheses, you can't infer that you're not just multiplying -5 twice. Any online calculator will tell you the same.
>>
>>7944601
Nah, just fixing his TeX for him.

You're right in that it doesn't consider the path [math]x^2 = y^3[/math], because on that path:
[eqn]\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{2 x^4 + 5 y^3}{8 x^2 - 9 y^3} = \lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{2 x^4 + 5 x^2}{8 x^2 - 9 x^2} = \lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{2 x^2 + 5}{-1} = -5[/eqn]
>>
>>7946415
dumb hospital rule poster
>>
>>7946422
I didn't even consider derivatives m8.
>>
>>7941127
Think about what orientability means and what it does to the fibre. If we have a local section [math]s_{\alpha}: U_{\alpha} \rightarrow E[/math], can we extend this smoothly to a global one?
>>
>>7944525
>>7944601
>>7946415
Simpler solution.

On the path y = 0,
[eqn]\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{2 x^4 + 5 y^3}{8 x^2 - 9 y^3} = \lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{2 x^4}{8 x^2} = \lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{x^2}{4} = 0[/eqn]

On the path x = 0,
[eqn]\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{2 x^4 + 5 y^3}{8 x^2 - 9 y^3} = \lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{5 y^3}{-9 y^3} = - \frac{5}{9}[/eqn]

Therefore the limit does not exist.
>>
Why are stock solutions used?
>>
>>7946632
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_solution
>>
>>7932706
An electron is a negatively charged subatomic particle that exists around the nucleus of an atom.
>>
1. Why is it that to obtain the graph of
y = f(x - a) from the graph of y = f(x), I have to shift to the right by a units? Wouldn't a shift to the left be more logical?
2. Isn't saying y = f(x) redundant? Why do they do this?
>>
>>7944933

I didn't ask for a psychology answer

What is the implication on order of operations?
>>
>>7946700
>Why is it that to obtain the graph of
>y = f(x - a) from the graph of y = f(x), I have to shift to the right by a units?
If g(x) = f(x - a), then g(a)=f(0), so everything should happen a units later.

>Isn't saying y = f(x) redundant? Why do they do this?
They're saying that the y axis depends on the x axis according to f. It's kind of unnecessary, but that's the idea.
>>
>>7930621
Read up on them. I believe iron can inhibit zinc absorption for example.

>there are people that don't take vitamin C supplements
>>
Why do we use the maximum limit in the Cauchy-Hadamard theorem instead of the simple limit?

Plz mathfags
>>
Guys i need help with a simple fucking task that i just dont know how to do.
Im loaning 600000 dollars
the rate is 4,5%
And im supposed to pay back the loan on 20 years

My first question, how much am i going to amortise the first month?

second question, how big is the interest expense the first month?

thanks in advance
>>
>>7942560
>>7944666
Anyone?
>>
>>7942560
>the increase in area, which is four-fold

no
>>
I'm taking an online short term class at my local CC. The thing is that I doxed every girl and one of the girls is friends with my bully's sister. The bully is a girl and she used to mock me with her boyfriend when I was around 22. It's been four years and the only way I made them stop was by hacking her cell phone and harassed her. Afterwards, she stopped looking at me and tries to avoid me. Anyway, should I drop the class or should I just do my work and hope they don't start up again?
>>
What would be the wiser choice, rent a book for 23 dollars or buy the book for 12 dollars? I need it for a short term class. The 12 dollar one seems wiser, but I'll have no use for it afterwards and I'd hate to just let it clutter my shelf.
>>
>>7946700
Think about it this way: if g(x) = f(x-a), then the graph of g is "centered" at x=a (ie. g(a) = f(0)), that is, the graph of g is shifted to the right by a.
But yeah, this is the sort of stuff that even professors get wrong if they are not careful, because it's dumb but it can be confusing
>>
My thread will probably be deleted as i didnt notice this thread (stupid i know).

Can someone explain the term energy deposition in relation to ionising radiation? There are a couple things people think it is and noone is sure. I think its how much energy is imparted by the radiation.
>>
>>7947706
Are you trolling or just retarded?
>>
>>7947099
Pics of new house?
>>
Hey niggas.
I don't understand fucking voltage, NO STOP, don't come up with more hydraulic analogies memes, if voltage difference is the work required to push a charge a certain distance, how come voltage is constant through time?
>>
File: physics MAIN.jpg (59KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
physics MAIN.jpg
59KB, 960x720px
Does this make sense?

I made this a while ago and I'm doubting it now for some reason.
>>
>>7948342
... it's generally not?
let's make a basic analogue: let's say you have a loop in which you lift a box, move it to the right, and then drop it through a pipe. then the box comes back up to the first place, and you can pick it up again. the difference in potential energy is the work you need to lift the box from the ground to the height needed to throw it into the pipe. it's constant because it's a nice loop
>>
>>7948348
>similar triangles
Why would it not make sense?
>>
>>7948342
energy doesn't want to be bunched up. it wants to spread out as much as possible. all kinds of energy too, gravity, thermal energy, even concentrations of matter. voltage is just another difference in energy states of two points.
>>
I'm in the UK and looking at the Moon, observing something odd. The Moon is amazingly bright tonight and there isn't a star in the sky, however I can see a weird, moving object, it's close to the moon and appears to be hovering or darting around and is quite bright itself. Is this a satellite or what? I thought it was a star but as I said it'd be the only one, it could be a plane but while it's moving it's not going anywhere.

As I said I'm from the UK, I suppose a silly question in its own right is would anyone in the world be able to see what I'm seeing or does my location on earth in fact change the angle I'm seeing the Moon at?

Thanks.
>>
>>7948371
if the moon is too bright, it will cause stars to be opaqued by moon's light
>>
Is there a case were the inductive step works but you cannot find a base step?
>>
>>7948468
yes
>>
>>7944922
-5^2=0-5^2
>>
>>7948621
Could you please tell me, nigger.
>>
I don't get how
[math]
\frac{5}{\sqrt{5}} == \frac{2}{\sqrt{20}}
[/math]
>>
>>7948805
oh right, it doesn't
>>
>>7948722
Not that guy but there is the funny proof of the fact that any n pencils are the same colour:
Base case (P(1)): Trivial
Take n+1 pencils and assume P(n). Take out one pencil. The remaining n are all the same colour, because of the inductive assumption. Now take one of them out and add the one you had previously taken out. You now have n pencils who are also all the same colour. By transitivity, your n+1 pencils are then all the same colour, qed.

The trick here is that the proof of the induction step (specifically the "by transitivity") only works if n is at least 2, but you obviously cannot initialize at n=2, because it's wrong. So this gives you an example of a proof where the induction step works but the statement is false.
>>
>>7946716
>They're saying that the y axis depends on the x axis according to f. It's kind of unnecessary, but that's the idea.
That makes sense.

>If g(x) = f(x - a), then g(a)=f(0), so everything should happen a units later.
Where did the "g(a)=f(0)" come from? I don't understand.

>>7947713
>Think about it this way: if g(x) = f(x-a), then the graph of g is "centered" at x=a (ie. g(a) = f(0)), that is, the graph of g is shifted to the right by a.
I don't understand.
>>
>>7948812
>>7948805
Yeah if it was sqrt(5)/5 then it would be equal
>>
>>7949601
Just draw it, seriously
>>
Anyone have any recommendations for books that teach the history of a certain math and then explain how it can apply etc.? I want to learn about the history of calculus and trigonometry and how it is used in the world today. I'm not looking for a textbook or practice problems. I just want to read about them.
>>
>>7949674
I don't understand the notation, so I don't know what to do.
>>
>>7944922
The implication is -5*-5 or "(-5)^2"
>>
I applied to Cal Poly Pomona and my status updated from Ready for Decision to Provisional Admit. Does this mean that I just have to send my transcripts at the end of this semester and I am in? tfw I haven't done any of the Physics courses needed for Computer Engineering.
>>
>>7949797

Congrats, man. Hopefully they do not deny you for not having those Physics courses.
>>
File: physics_problem.jpg (108KB, 706x982px) Image search: [Google]
physics_problem.jpg
108KB, 706x982px
Can someone help me understand the calculation steps of this very basic physics problem?

I tried to do it myself but I just can't get the same result. I have no idea how at step (5) they arrive at (m1-m2)*v

Someone please explain it to me and maybe give a tip for problems with two unknowns in general? Thanks.
>>
>>7950826
Forgot: the mass of m1 (300g) is the only value given.
>>
I did an eight week short term class in the first eight weeks of a 16 week community college semester. Are professors suppose to turn in grades in a certain time, or can they wait until the end of the semester to submit their grades?
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-23+at+04.49.28).png (24KB, 585x725px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-23+at+04.49.28).png
24KB, 585x725px
What am I missing with naming these compounds?
>>
>>7952294
[eqn]CaF_2 \\ RaSe \\ Mg_{3}P_2[/eqn]
>>
>>7952304
Oh god did I have a brain fart.
>>
File: Cloudstation.jpg (182KB, 1936x1090px) Image search: [Google]
Cloudstation.jpg
182KB, 1936x1090px
Disregarding other materials needed, (aprox.)how much carbon dioxide and sulfuric acid would i have to proces to have enough material (carbon nanotubes for frame,
carbon fibre weaved into fabric with carbon disulfide polymer to fill frame) to build habitat unit of a size of single spacestation module?
Would manufacturing plant fit on pic related and left space for other facilities necesery for colonists' daily life?
>>
>>7952415
bump
>>
What does a homomorphic function being a monomoprihsm have to do with it being linearly independent and also an epi being a generating set?
>>
>>7952510
Ha, that's beyond nonsensical. Are you a physics student?
>>
>>7952518
that's basic linear algebra...
>>
>>7952525
No, it's basic linear algebra the way an unbelievably drunk monkey would phrase it. Hence the physicist remark.
>>
If sunlight has no mass how does it carry vitamins also why cant we add vitamins to light
>>
>>7952818
your trolling is bad and you should feel bad
>>
Why are quantum operators 2x2 matrices for two-dimensional spin? What do the other 2 elements of the operator represent?

How does a dot product return a 2x2 matrix as in the construction of a spin operator for an arbitrary axis n where the new spin operator a_n = a•n?
>>
What is the value in terms of pi radians of [math]\arcsin (\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3})[/math]
>>
If I have a freely rotating 3D rigid body with an angular momentum in some direction and I now add a torque to it along some axis,
do I simply add the angular momentum vector and the torque vector together to get the resulting angular momentum vector of the body?

I've been trying to google around, but all I keep finding is examples of a fixed axis receiving torque in the 2D plane.
>>
>>7952932
That doesn't resemble a 30-60-90 or a 45-45-90 triangle. You sure you don't have to divide by 2?
>>
>>7952294
You're writing the names of the formulas and not the actual formulas themselves.
>>
>>7952932
[eqn]\arcsin \left( \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \right) = \frac{\pi}{3}[/eqn] Source: unit circle
>>
Are quantum mechanics' days numbered?
>>
>>7953116
It's [math]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}[/math]
not
[math]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/math]

>>7953084
No, I'm trying to work out a pattern between the vertices of a square, its intersect with the unit circle, and the degree of change over multiple iterations. Right now, I'm looking at the coordinates intersection and there's definitely something trigonometric going on in relation to each successive coordinate.
>>
What is the minimum diameter a hypothetical stabilized wormhole aperture needs to be in order to be able send and receive electomagnetic transmissions through it? Is this the absolute minimum size a wormhole needs to be in order be useful in any way?
>>
what should i do with this degree in physics i'm about to finish. don't really want to go into academia but it seems like the only conveniently accessible route. decide my life
>>
>>7953232
>what should i do with this degree in physics i'm about to finish.

Oh, nice. May I be as bold as to suggest you start off by answering my inquiry? >>7952963
>>
>>7942560
>>7944666
>>7947381
Pham
>>
How do I join every two pages inside a pdf, I have a plug in for adobe that does that but I have to do it for each page, and I am sure there is a way to do it for the whole document at once.
>>
>>7930606

energy to raise temp from -15 > 0, 0 > 100 and 100 > 120, with energy required to melt and vaporise in between. m = .050 whole time, just need specific heats for the 3 phases and then the plug-ins for your fus/vap equations.
>>
>>7953507
I think this question belongs on /g/'s SQT rather than /sci/'s.
>>
"In a probability experiment with a finite number of outcomes, every possible outcome will be obtained in a finite number of trials."

Is there a name for this 'conjecture?'
Is this statement true?
>>
bumpu-desu!
>>
Why is the change of internal energy the same in an adiabatic process and in a isochoric process when the change in temperature is the same?
>>
>>7954544
cuz god
>>
>>7944883
Organic Chemistry: 2nd edition is better. :^)
>>
Is learning logic a better foundation to learning math more effectively?
>>
>>7954972
learning how logic ties into proofs, sure

doing proofs is the best way to learn math
>>
how many years is a master's degree for Engineering? Bachelors is four years and I am wondering how many more years I would have to be in school.
>>
How the fuck am I supposed to find this?
>>
Do the Incompleteness Theorems imply that absolute knowledge is unobtainable?
Thread posts: 277
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.