[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point in studying science if you're never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: thinking bear.jpg (85KB, 600x428px) Image search: [Google]
thinking bear.jpg
85KB, 600x428px
What's the point in studying science if you're never going to be like Einstein?
>>
>>7926997
You could study science to discover what made Einstein's brain special and replicate it in other humans, like yourself.
>>
Einstein was a Jew who worked for the patent office
>>
>>7926997
Bad way of looking at it ~100% of people won't be Einstein, but then Einstein was only able to be Einstein because of Maxwell, who was only able to be Maxwell because of Faraday... The point is the massive paradigm shifts are very rare and when they happen they're built on a foundation of other, solid, research. You're unlikely to be the next Einstein, but you very well might help the next Einstein have his idea, at some point down the line.

Personally I just want a larger paycheck, security, and job that isn't mind numbingly boring.
>>
>>7926997
>thinking bear
At least it's not a gorilla
>>
>>7927012

Bears are the best.
>>
>>7927014
This desu. They're both adorable and terrifying.
>>
>>7927014
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/10/louisiana-black-bear-removed-from-endangered-species-list

Some happy bear news
>>
>>7926997
I'm a second year phd student, and thoughts like this give me depression. All this hard work ahead of me, and it's not like anyone gives a shit about my obscure field anyway.
Then I remember that it's all the same in industry, and I want to kill myself.
>>
>>7926997
dumb bearposter
>>
File: giphy.gif (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
3MB, 480x360px
>>7926997
>>7927000
>>
>>7926997
What is the point of living if you are going to die.

The journey is more important then the destiny.

If you aren't curious enough to do science for its own sake, do something else.
>>
>>7927000
I was thinking of that the last days, as my antisemithism started to get stronger.
And that acctually makes a lot of sense, when you think about it s:
Relativity is cool though.
>>
OP is a bore if he has not figured you do science for the fun of it, not stupid ego. Just need to be good enough to find people to pay you for your hobby. Major contributions to the field are just gravy.
>>
>>7927011
>Personally I just want a larger paycheck, security, and job that isn't mind numbingly boring.
This right here. Anyone who wants to try and be like einstein, sure, no problem.
But most people also like other things and do want to actually have a life. And if you want to be a researcher and discover new things or come up with new theories, you have to devote your life to science completely. And many people don't want this.

To sum it up: There is nothing wrong with going into science just for the money afterwards. So shut the fuck up.
>>
What's the point of living? Suicide is the answer. But if we kill ourselves, life will not stop. Life will go on. May as well stick around and at least _try_ to contribute, even if it's very little.
>>
>>7927103
why is everyone on /sci/ in it for an ego boost,
>>
f = ma, for all values of a = c, and f = outward expansiveness of e

real fucking hard to come up with, huh
>>
it interests me.
>>
>>7929312
idk, I chose my field because I have a passion for it
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.