[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /sci/'s opinion on Math assignments rather then

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

What's /sci/'s opinion on Math assignments rather then exams. Just finished High school And I fucken hated them. Thoughts?
>>
>>7926034
That isn't a funny joke at all.
What "A+ maths student" would assume that "fraction" meant "fraction involving only rational numbers"?
>>
>>7926034
thats not even right
>>
>>7926062
A+ math student detected
>>
>>7926034
>relationship between two numbers
>not integers

I'm disappointed, these comics are usually good.
>>
Can someone just answer the question please. Forget the dank meme
>>
>>7926076
it just says expressed as a fraction not fraction of integers
>>
>>7926034
I had an assignment in an abstract algebra course. It was ok I guess. It's nice because it helps you work on your formal writing when you have a lot of time on you hands unlike in a test.
But I think I would've preferred a test anyway.
>>
I like that. There are only so many things that you can do during a 2 or 3 hour exam so it is not always very interesting. In an assignment, on the other hand, professors can try to make interesting problems, knowing that you will have time to work on them.
>>
>>7926062
>>7926076
I might be reading too much into this but isn't that the point?
Pi can be expressed as a relationship between two integers anyway, just not a fraction.
>>
File: mathematician.gif (26KB, 550x600px) Image search: [Google]
mathematician.gif
26KB, 550x600px
>>7926050
>>7926062
>>7926333
C-minus student detected
>>
>>7926485
Whole thread+ zach weinersmith BTFO
>>
>>7926485
>derives an irrational number from an irrational object
gradeschooler detected
>>
>>7926500
A definition is a type of expression
>>
Exams are needed as a standardized measure to separate people who knows their shit from people who don't. You can fool people on hws but much harder to do so on tests. Oh this separation is only a college thing btw, high school is a joke.
>>
fraction is literally defined as a/b where a,b are integers and b>0.
>>
>>7927462
>b>0
>>
When you get out of high school and into actual math, you'll learn that exams are too short for any interesting problems. Homework, on the other hand, let's you beat your head against the wall for a few days on something truly challenging.
>>
>>7927462
Fraction is literally not defined that way. Maybe rational number, but you don't need b>0 for that.
>>
>>7927575
>a few days
>challenging
I LOLd. Get on my level.
>>
>>7927735
It can't take months to do a homework problem.
>>
Stupid idea. One's mathematics skill can only be properly assessed with free response tests. Not even multiple choice, because that introduces a luck factor.
>>
>>7927868
it doesnt include luck, as you have to show your work. it does allow you to create loaded conclusions based on the options though, where without those options you had no such direction
>>
>>7927868
Actually writing out full proofs is just tedious busywork once you understand how to get the result.
>>
>>7927462
>b = -2
>OH FUCK
>>
>>7926485
Here's an exercise for you.

Prove that, for a circle, both the circumference and the diameter cannot be rational.
>>
>>7928957
prove in what logic ?
>>
>>7926034

Math assignments are fine. You just need to learn to see the value in them.

What they really are is assigned practice. You NEED to practice math to learn it. You cannot just read a book, and then know how to do math.
>>
>>7926050
Not every comic is really a "joke"
They're not for filing in your head under "funny joke" or "serious"
>>
>>7927591
You do need [math] b\neq 0[/math], restricting to positive b's doesn't change a thing as you can just change a sign of a
>>
>>7926034

I think assignments are better. Primarily because the questions can be a lot more substantial than on exams.

The main downside is that it is a lot easier to cheat. But if you're a cheater, the day will come when you need to know your shit and you'll be fucked.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.