[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the country where you take your PhD especially relevant?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

Is the country where you take your PhD especially relevant?

My former MSc supervisor says Spain PhDs are shit tier, but honestly, I think he might be biased and might have interest in keeping me to apply for a PhD with him in my country. That is pretty much out of the question, since I want to either go abroad, or stay in a R&D position in a company as I am currently.

The situation is as follows: I currently have two pending applications in my field for Spain, one I need to give a yes or no answer pretty soon, and the other awaiting a final response (both of which my supervisor is discouraging heavily), and one awaiting any response for now in the Netherlands.

I don't necessarily need help deciding, but I'd like to know your opinion on how the country affects the quality of your PhD and in what way.
>>
>>7925621
Without having any knowledge of the university that awarded it, I tend to put all degrees from EU nations on equal, favorable footing. The same goes for US, Soviet, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, Japanese and South Korean PhDs. I'm a bit leery of modern Russian, Chinese, and South/Central American degrees, and I discount Indian, African, and Arab degrees almost entirely.
>>
>>7925764
> Japanese, South Korean PhD
I don't know why you think these two are equal to US in PhD because my friends who aren't good enough to get into America apply to them as a sure win backup.
>>
>>7925812
It might just be personal bias on my part, and it also might be due to my field. As an American, I generally deal with chemists that have US PhDs, but I've also met Japanese PhDs that are on par with their American counterparts.
>>
Whats the hierarchy of country phds

Why are indian phds shit tier (no puns pls)

Can anyone from us apply for a phd in another,country?
>>
>>7925812
it really depends on the field. Japanese schools are really solid in the base sciences
>>
>>7925845
POO IN LOO
O
O

I
N

L
O
O
>>
Ok, I see your opinion
You guys see it more as a dispute between continents, sort of, of which I already agreed upon. I didn't really specify it, but I was probably more inclined to ask only between EU countries.

Also, are the topuniversities website rankings legit?
In deciding a university for PhD, would this sort of ranking be relevant in making an informed decision?
>>
>>7926522
Anyone who is actually important enough to hire PhDs into research/postdoc positions will care more about your actual research publiciation record (first authorships only, no one gives a fuck about those 20 co-authorships your shitty research group put you on) than which university you got it from.

Even top universities have their army of labrat slaves who only get one publication out every 1-3 years, and no one wants to hire those.

That being said, universities with little academic integrity are often disregarded more easily. I'm mostly refering to China and India here, most universities are respected.
>>
>>7926545

I fully agree, for postdoc and academic research positions.

However, is that the case if you get an engineering PhD in terms of career prospects in the industry (In development or management positions)? How relevant is the university in those cases?
>>
>>7925845

P O O

IN

THE

L O O

P
A
J
E
E
T
>>
>>7925621
India and China degrees are garbage, PhDs as well as everything else.
South America, SE Europe and Russia depends on the field, but as long it is not literally
"Bumfuck University of Literally Where" you're fine.

People who care will look at your work if they consider you instead of where you were, but I know some people don't even bother reading applications from Indians.
>>
>>7926553
There aren't really good careers for PhDs in industry anymore, it's oversaturated as hell.
>>
>>7926592
India and China is garbage, I generally respect third world degrees as much as Western including from countries like Brazil, Malaysia and even Nigeria, but India and China are fucking kids and the international community should recognise how worthless those degrees are.
>>
>>7926598

Is that also the case also for EngD or PEng, or whatever you want to call it, when it's a company financing the degree, as opposed to the fully academic PhD?
>>
>>7925621
The specific country is (within Europe and the US at least) less important to your career than the research group, your supervisor, and the possible networking options you have. Not even the university itself matters that much. A superior group in a shit uni trumps a shit group at a prestigious uni most of the time.

If both positions are equally interesting and offer the same career prospects, you might want to think about whether living in another country is interesting in itself, no?

AFAIK, teaching is mandatory for a PhD candidate in NL, maybe might not suit you?
>>
>>7927292

Great answer, thanks.

Yeah, that's kinda what I suspected. I am not averse to teaching, or even following an academic career (actually, I think I might enjoy it. Teaching too).

I'm just not ready to make a commitment to either industry or academy right now, and I want to keep my options open, without feeling like I'm just doing a degree to burn some time.

I'm fully in favor of going abroad. Poortugal is currently shit if you want to stick with a job outside of computer science, anyway (though I did land a R&D position in my field pretty fast, I lucked out).
>>
>>7925845
D E S I G N A T E D
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.