[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The furthest known galaxy has been discovered this March htt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

The furthest known galaxy has been discovered this March
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/hubble-team-breaks-cosmic-distance-record
It's called GN-z11 and it's 32 billion light-years away. I have a question, if we can now see galaxies that existed just 200 million years after the Big Bang does that mean that soon we will be able to see the Big Bang itself?
>>
File: CMBR.jpg (62KB, 588x408px) Image search: [Google]
CMBR.jpg
62KB, 588x408px
We've already seen the Big Bang

>pic related
>>
>>7925210
I've seen this image so many times can someone explain it to me? I always visualized the Big Bang as a single point?
>>
>>7925213
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_microwave_background
>>
>>7925232

So all visible light from that time has been redshifted into microwaves?
>>
>>7925196
>discovered

or invented ?
>>
>>7925196
>32 billion years old
Nigga the universe isn't that old. How the fuck could light from it reach us?
>>
>>7925210
That's not really the Big Bang. It's the radiation from the first atoms to be formed, roughly 400,000 years after the Big Bang. The universe during the Big Bang was opaque, thus it's impossible to truly see the Big Bang.
>>
>>7927161
>Nigga the universe isn't that old. How the fuck could light from it reach us?

It wasn't 32 billion LY away when the light was emitted, it was only a few hundred million LY. While the light was traveling, the space it was traveling through was expanding. This is what causes redshift.
>>
>>7927181
The intensity of that visualization made my weiner wiggle.

Thanks anon.
>>
>>7925196
The launch of the janes webb space telescope should allow us to see right into the recombinant zone, pure energy, i imagine it will be like looking at fog, its the only way we could interpret it.

New generations of gravity wave telescopes 'could' tell us if there were any conglomerations of mattercwithin that recombinant zone. That vould be cool, because there shouldnt be.
>>
>>7928398
>allow us
>us
who is this us ?
>>
>>7928398
>james* webb space telescope should allow us to see right into the recombination* zone

No. JWST does't go further into the infrared than 30 microns, it cannot reach the redshfits of recombination. Secondly light from before recombination is scattered.
>>
>>7925196

How do we know how far away it is?

And how do we know how old stars are?
>>
>>7929442
The distance is 9.9 Gpc co-moving, that's if this is confirmed.

The age of the stars is consistent with 10 to 100 million years but the data quality is extremely poor. That's only the age for a simple stellar population so it doesn't really tell you the age of the stars, only the age if they were all formed together.
>>
File: black.jpg (53KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
black.jpg
53KB, 1920x1200px
sorta related but I often wonder how terrifying intergalactic space must be.
The distance between galaxies is so far that literally all around you would be absolutely black, nothingness. no light or anything.
>>
>>7930304
why would you not see the stara just like on earth?
>>
>>7925196
No because the big bang is not real
>>
>>7930304
you'd still see galaxies and shit retard
>>
>>7930331
>Out in the true intergalactic medium (IGM), if you were forced to use just your eyes you might see a couple of faint smudges from 'void galaxies' that are not associated with any galaxy clusters or groups, but no stars. So it'll be pretty boring...

>>7930433
kill yourself
>>
>>7930433
We got a regular Carl Sagan here
>>
>>7925243
yes, red shifting it back shows us how things were before.
>>
>>7930500
>red shifting it back
So blue shifting?
>>
>>7932006
sort of, not really modifying the light, just detecting it, and then transposing it into wavelengths you'd expect
>>
>>7925412
Discovered.
>>
>>7929442
We shoot light at it and see how long it takes to Come back
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.