[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I was thinking. How about I found a new field of engineering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: Repo-Men-Gallery-5.jpg (137KB, 600x340px) Image search: [Google]
Repo-Men-Gallery-5.jpg
137KB, 600x340px
So I was thinking.

How about I found a new field of engineering called "Synthetic Organ Engineering"?

It's a whole field which combines lots of different fields of study to engineer artificial organs for use in the human body!

Want gills? SythOrg engineering is right for you!
Want a stronger heart with mechanical enhancements? Try SynthOrg engineering!

I was thinking of making an organ that produced nano and micro machines that repaired damage to tissues effectively making you live forever.

Pretty cool huh?!
>>
pop-sci fags are cancer
>>
Any venture capitalists want to help found this company of the future?

We could start by selling to the military and the extremely old and desperate. Both have deep pockets.
>>
>>7924834
fuck you, you're cancer.

Everything starts off as a concept, I see no reason why this sort of thing couldn't be done.

We've got the purpose, now we just work toward making that purpose viable in reality.

Anything you can imagine, can be made real through science.
You can quote me on that.
>>
I think it's a neat idea.
>>
>>7924814
You can't found a field until you have actually done it.

Artificial hearts and other artificial hearts suck.

We don't know how to make micro/nano machines that can repair damaged tissue.

>>7924836
You do not outline how you are going to accomplish these things, no one will fund you.

>>7924842
This has been a concept for years, people are already working toward it, progress is slow.

You are cancer.

>> anything you can imagine can be made real through science

As a counterexample, I imagine a device which violates conservation of energy
>>
>>7924969
>We don't know how to make micro/nano machines that can repair damaged tissue.

Why don't we know how to do this?
>>
>>7925015
because we dont know how to cure cancer
>>
>>7925021
well why not?

it really can't be that hard to design some organism that attacks cancer cells, I could think of a few ways to do it with the very small amount of knowledge I poses about bio chemistry.

Medicine is a fucking racket man. exploiting everyones ignorance and laziness for money.
>>
no you cant, because you dont know what cancer is. and you would be the utmost shitty healer if you equated attacking symptoms as healing.

by the time a cancer cell exists, its past the curve. curing cancer is about prevention of the cause, so cancer cells dont propagate. because cancer cells use 'death' to propagate, and we dont know how to become immortals, its not a simple concept to combat
>>
>>7925015
We don't know how to repair tissue or make nanomachines
>>
>>7925034
>> it really can't be that hard to design some organism that attacks cancer cells.

It is not. Most infectious bacteria will do this, but they will also attack things that are not cancer too.

We aren't very good at designing organisms, in fact we have yet to design and make an entire organism.

Second even if you could design such an organism it would be difficult to not cause an immune response.
>>
>>7925292
the computer you are using right now has nano machines in it
>>
>>7925323
No it does not. Computers do not have nanoscale mechanical parts.
>>
>>7925486
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_logic_gate

pls no revisionism
>but muh definition

nah, a wooden wedge is a machine too
>>
>>7925498
The computer I am using does not use molecular logic gates. It uses silicon like every other mass produced computer today.

No consumer computers use molecular logic gates. Second those logic gates cannot be wired together as their outputs are light. Ok well they can, but not for very many gates and not at the nanoscale. IE shining light through vials.
>>
>>7925556
no when i linked the wikipedia page i forgot that i claimed your computer was using it. your computer does though use microscopic machines, as any level of electronic manipulation, or manmade replicable manipulation of anything ever, is a machine. the issue remains to be complexity, as is the issue for any computer engineering endeavor
>>
>>7925575
>>electronic manipulation
the definition of machine is:
>>an apparatus using or applying MECHANICAL power and having several parts, each with a definite function and together performing a particular task.

We are very far from making tiny machines that can repair damaged tissue. First off, how the fuck do you repair damaged tissue?

Since you have mentioned making people live forever below gives you an idea of the things that need to be done:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategies_for_Engineered_Negligible_Senescence

Some of these things would require said tiny machines to do stuff inside cells. How do you do this?

How do said tiny machines navigate the body? How do they know where they are? How do you control them? How do you make sure they don't cause damage when they break?

pic related is the smallest self contained computer yet made. In order to do stuff inside cells a much smaller one is needed
>>
>>7924814
>new field
I mean they already do that, its biotech and there's already companies, its not new its just not popular or far in research, and growing organs or getting them replaced with mechanics is possible, just sketchy cause as i said, lack of research
>>
>>7924969
Woah there sunny, slow it down, 2015 was a sexy year for science, slutty but sexy none the less we can do facny things now, and quantum computing is on its way so plus
>>
>>7925994
>We are very far from making tiny machines that can repair damaged tissue. First off, how the fuck do you repair damaged tissue?
No? We are actually super close to nailing the design, just not perfected yet
>>
>>7926036
[citation needed]
>>
>>7926036
do you have any facts that support that assertion?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.