[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My knowledge of orbits is entirely ksp based but I have a question.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: asdsd.jpg (65KB, 624x666px) Image search: [Google]
asdsd.jpg
65KB, 624x666px
My knowledge of orbits is entirely ksp based but I have a question.

Say a man pushes himself off the ISS as hard as he can, and the ISS orbits the earth every 90 minutes. Wouldn't the mans altered orbit meet up again with the ISS 90 minutes later making the whole thing survivable?
>>
>>7923134
The man does not stop instantly in space, he still has velocity relative to the earth. That said, I'm blanking rn on where he'd go.
>>
>>7923137
Nuh, I know he's still going as fast as the ISS but his orbit has been changed because he jumped... and he'll be furthest from the station on the other side of the orbit but meet up again in the same spot he jumped.
>>
the red orbit will take longer to complete, so by the time he reaches the same position again on the red orbit, the ISS will be slightly further on the green orbit than it was the previous pass
>>
Sorry, I know less than you do, ask someone else. I mistook this for a shitpost thread.
>>
>>7923134
It depends on how much momentum he lost during the push off. If he lost enough he'd merely fall behind the ISS after x amount of time. If he didn't lose forward momentum then he'd eventually land on the ISS.
>>
>>7923160
it's impossible not to lose forward momentum in this scenario
>>
>>7923145
>>7923160
Course, so directly retrograde or prograde he might end up landing where he jumped from but anything else and the ISS could be a mile away.
>>
>>7923145

This. Both orbits will INTERSECT at the same point, but they won't pass through that point at the same time. He'll just get further and further away. It could take years (at least) to sync up again, but by that time the orbits would have decayed anyway. Plus, you know, years. So not survivable.
>>
There is a direction in which this is possible I believe, possibly normal or anormal, or maybe I'm wrong.
>>
>>7923134
>Say a man pushes himself off the ISS as hard as he can
You are not thinking 4th dimensionally!

He may push himself off the ISS, but what direction did he push? We can't guarantee where he will go is up exactly.
>>
>>7923134
>Wouldn't the mans altered orbit meet up again with the ISS 90 minutes later making the whole thing survivable?
If there is no prograde or retrograde component to his jump, then yes. But if his jump is prograde or retrograde at all, he will find himself in a different orbit with a different orbital period (if prograde, he will launch initially "in front" of the ISS, will gradually ascend above it and decelerate, watch the ISS pass beneath and away from him and will be well behind it by the time he and the ISS both make a full orbit).
>>
>>7923134

first of all,that orbit projection is wrong,that red orbit should be smaller and smaller because orbit decay

second of all,a human's muscular force is lower than 9.8 m/so unless you have superlegs,no vectoral change is possible meaning you won't be going to the oposite direction ,you'll only uniformly decelerate so yeh,not survivable.
>>
>>7923790
This is the correct answer OP. If you didn't know this you need to play more KSP.
>>
>>7923134
Even ksp models this correctly
If he pushed in the direction normal to the earth he'd be in an orbit around the iss , intercepting the iss twice each orbit.

In your diagram their orbit circles would look the same only the mans would be shifted a little ib a direction 90 degrees to the dorection he pushed himself in.

Your diagram looks like he burned prograde.
>>
>>7923950
Just to clear things up he' ll meet the iss if he pushed himself in the normal\antinormal\radial\antiradial direction twice per orbit . if he pushed pro or retrograde he's fucked.
>>
>>7923134
If he jumped off the ISIS he would hit the earth...
>>
>>7924083
how the fuck would a human with human strength in a fucking spacesuit push off the ISS hard enough to get himself into an orbit with enough orbital decay to hit the earth within less then a gorillion years ?
>>
>>7924214

The ISS itself would hit the earth if it wasn't routinely boosted.
>>
File: f8p3G.png (24KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
f8p3G.png
24KB, 800x600px
>>7924221
well yea it would .
still if you push off it in a non\prograde\retrograde direction you could make it back before you fall down to earth years\months later .
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.