[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would I take the jacobian of a map [math] f:{\mathbb{R}^{nxn}}

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: enterprise-tos.jpg (536KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
enterprise-tos.jpg
536KB, 1280x800px
How would I take the jacobian of a map

[math] f:{\mathbb{R}^{nxn}} \to \mathbb{R} [/math]

where [math] A \mapsto \sum\limits_{i,j} {{A_{ij}}^2} [/math]
>>
google
>>
>>7920709
i did
>>
>>7920715
try turning off your computer and turning it on again, then tell me if your problem is fixed
>>
is the domain the set of n by n matrices?
>>
>>7920830
ye
>>
>>7920707
Just take the partial derivative with respect to A_{mn} for each mn. You get 2 A, no?
>>
>>7920707
the jacobian is 2A.
>>
>>7920835
>>7920837
Ok good, thats what I thought.

Now what about [math] d{\left( {f{|_{O\left( n \right)}}} \right)_I} [/math] when [math]{T_I}O\left( n \right) = \left\{ {A \in {\mathbb{R}^{n \times n}}|A = - {A^T}} \right\} [/math]
>>
>>7920842
what the fuck is that notation
i like linear algebra problems but that's just disgusting
>>
>>7920847
The differential of that same map f with its domain restricted to orthogonal matrices. Evaluated at the the identity matrix.

Where the tangent space of the orthogonal group at the identity is the space of skew-symmetric matrices.
>>
>>7920852
ah that makes sense
this problem is a little more involved than the previous one, this might take a while
>>
>>7920842
what the fuck is this
I know it's linear algebra judging by [math]\mathbb{R}^{n \times n}[/math] but D A M N
>>
File: 5172396.jpg (255KB, 961x759px) Image search: [Google]
5172396.jpg
255KB, 961x759px
>>7920842
wait a minute...
>>
>>7920842
Isn't it still 2A?
>>
>>7920867
Prep for midterm
>>
>>7920867
It's smooth manifold theory. But yes, [math]T_I O(n)[/math] is a vector space, called the tangent space. It's sort of like the space of "derivatives" at a point, and that business with [math]d(f_{O(n)})_I[/math] is sort of like a derivative (hence the notation).
>>
>>7920943
So the answer isn't 2A then. For the unrestricted problem, the tangent space at I is essentially R^{nxn} again. Say A is a tangent vector (in this case an nxn matrix) at I, then df_I A should be an element of the tangent space at f(I)=n, i.e. essentially a real number. We've seen that the gradient of f at I is just 2 I. So df_I (A) = 2 trace(A), the inner product of 2 I and A thought of as vectors.
>>
>>7921896
As OP knows, for the O(n) group, the tangent space at I consists of skew-symmetric matrices. These have zeros along the diagonal, thus zero trace.

So d(f_{O(n)})_I = 0 identically it seems.

Intuitively, if you start with I, and add small epsilon bits to the off-diagonal elements, the sum of squares will only change by order epsilon^2.
>>
>>7921896
>>7921902
Thanks. I figured it was still 2I b/c [math] d{\left( {f{|_M}} \right)_p} = d{f_p}{|_{{T_p}M}} [/math]. But was sure how to describe the way it acted on elements of the tangent space.
>>
>>7921927
>was sure
wasn't sure*
>>
On a scale of 1 to 10, how advanced is the linear algebra seen in this thread?
It looks so frightening.
>>
>>7922068
Will I be able to understand these concepts with rudimentary handling of linear algebra? Linear algebra I - II?
>>
>>7922068
>>7922483
No. While the tangent space to O(n) is a vector space, O(n) is not. It is a smooth manifold (and also a group).

So you need a course/book in Smooth Manifolds.
>>
>>7921896
>>7921902

You could also see that f is constrant on On, since if you had the squares of the coefficients of one colon of an On Matrix you get one.
Thus, f = n identically over On, thus the derivative is 0 identically.
>>
>>7924301
Interesting
>>
>>7924301
ha! obvious once you see it. nice job anon.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.