[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Everyone hate General Chemistry Why is this dislike so common?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

>Everyone hate General Chemistry

Why is this dislike so common? I didn't even major in Chemistry/ChemE and I loved it.
>>
>>7916166
because turboautists here are only interested in math and physics
>>
>>7916166
it was the labs desu.
>>
>>7916166

For me, it's the labs. I actually like the material, but the labs are long, boring and tedious
>>
>>7916166
Because I have 5 other classes besides Gen. Chem, my teacher is shit and she gives mandatory work which takes at least 5 hours or so and it's 10% of my overall grade. I want to like Chem but this shit teacher has turned me off from the subject for the time being. I can't enjoy the class if I'm forcing myself to do homework that she barely covers for tests she doesn't create and therefore aren't reflexive of what we're doing in class. Most of my problems stem from the teacher and from the limitations of my time. I want to like it, If i had 4 classes then for sure I'd like it.
>>
If you have any suggestions for enjoying the subject matter better or how to study the material I'd appreciate it.
>>
It's an unholy combination of physics and biology. Applying mathematical principles to solve equations while having to remember obscure mostly useless tidbits of information to solve problems
>>
>>7916195
Take a biology class or physics while taking chemistry. See how it all fits together. That's what is getting me through this semester of chem, physics, geo and stats. They all overlap each other in amazing ways. Every day something clicks together and I'm linking up everything I'm learning, despite the time it takes to study for each one individually. Don't get me wrong, I still stress over how much work it is, but it's actually engaging this way. Helps that I made sure to get teachers that love what they do.
>>
>>7916202
>b-b-b-but I don't WANT to have to m-m-memowize things wahhhh!!!

Poor baby...

Banter aside, what's wrong with memorizing? I love memorizing things. I memorize things on flashcards when I'm bored. It's fun to be able to talk about concrete things and provide examples and find links between them. Conjecture feels more wholesome that way. When your knowledge lacks breadth you're forced to rely on, often, worn out analogies and uninspired abstraction- which quite honestly doesn't make you appear intelligent. I tend to tune people out when they begin to explain concepts without concrete examples.

also, inb4
>t. autism
>>
>>7916195

Yeah, find something in the world that needs improvement but requires specialized knowledge of chemistry to improve. Think about something in your life that you use a lot that you would want to improve, or maybe someone you know that needs something improved. Find a real motivation for the studying. That usually sends me down the rabbit hole of researching and connecting things I wouldn't have necessarily seen as related prior to.
>>
>>7916166
General Chemistry is a shitload of random lessons tossed in together without a sense of reason, and where they commonly reuse symbols (Reaction rate constant, k and Equilibrium constant, K)
>>
>>7916166
Because /sci/ autism.

>WAH WAH WAAAAAAH I HAD TO MEMORIZE AN EQUATION! WAH!!!!
>WAAAAAAAAAAAH I NEVER HAVE TO MEMORIZE EQUATIONS IN MATH AND PHYSICS!
>WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WAH WAH I HAVE NEVER MEMORIZED A SINGLE. SOLITARY. THING. AS A MATH OR PHYSICS STUDENT!!

god, just fuck off.
>>
>>7916223
this is the only legitimate complaint. most people that take gen chem do not have the background in chemistry to make connections between different portions of the material that is taught so it makes sense. its very difficult to make a good gen chem textbook.
>>
>>7916171
I see this all the time in real life.
>>
>>7916192
Have you tried studying from the textbook?
>>
>>7916298
True. I liked Chang though. I thought it was an excellent text. I remember reading it with gusto back in my CC days
>>
>>7916216
I'm actually pretty good at memorizing, it's just I have an autistic aversion for blending the methods of learning together. It just feels neater when you're only applying one method of learning to solve a problem than mixing them together
>>
>>7916223
This desu. I never felt a sense of progression or lessons building off each other. Whereas other subjects are sort of like receiving building blocks and eventually having enough to make your own structures (languages, mathematics, fuck even history), Chemistry just felt like the mole one day, transfer of heat the next. I mean they overlap of course, but at no point did I ever feel like I could creatively extend knowledge without getting horribly ass raped with random uncoordinated lessons.

But I'm not a science guy so ... This is just a perspective of someone who isn't gifted in sciences.
>>
>>7916339
That's a really unhealthy mindset that may fuck you over late in life. You should get used to using different methods in conjunction. Outside of a classroom, you will almost never be presented with a problem that requires only one method to solve.
>>
>>7916208
Learning about electro negativity and minerals in chem is so much fun when you're also taking geo. Physics ties in as well. If you're on a bio route try finding things in chemistry that DON'T fit in. Making connections between classes is very rewarding. You're suppliment knowledge about what you really want to learn.
>>
>>7916208
as someone who's studying molecular biology and taking general and organic atm, i can confirm

shit starts to make sense now
>>
>>7916166
The math is confusing for biofags.
Redox reactions are confusing for physics fags.
Labs can be quite rough if you are dumb or if you are an autist who doesn't have very nimble fingers.
>>
Labs and dealing with people. Labs are long and tedious as fuck. Three to four hour labs is ridiculous for a 101 chemistry class. Plus, people like to talk shit about each other. Like yesterday when four girls were talking about this one black girl who supposedly talks too much and wanted to get through labs as fast as possible. Makes me wonder who talks about me when I'm not around.
>>
>>7916223
>(Reaction rate constant, k and Equilibrium constant, K

If you paid attention more, you would recognize that reaction rate is a lower case "k" while equilibrium constant is an upper case "K".
Yes, they are in fact different.
>>
>>7916983
>Makes me wonder who talks about me when I'm not around

Who cares about the opinions of gossiping idiots.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.