[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anybody here have a degree in earth science/geology? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: ge.jpg (7KB, 247x204px) Image search: [Google]
ge.jpg
7KB, 247x204px
Does anybody here have a degree in earth science/geology? What are the job prospects? Do you like your career? What's the pay like in this field
>>
>>7916054
>What are the job prospects?
FUEL AND MINERALS
>>
BS in bio and geo, working on my MS in geo
there's good money to be made in petroleum and mining, otherwise you work in academia or for surveying organizations.

I'm a paleofag so I'm definitely in academia. the only use oil companies have for paleontology is biostratigraphy and conodont color alteration
>>
>>7916054
I only know geology major and he went geology so he could focus on playing football and getting drunk because he figured it was easy enough that he didn't need to study. Also his dad worked in a mine and so he thought rocks and tunnels were moderately interesting.

He was pretty much correct afaik.
>>
>>7916064

does he make good money?
>>
>>7916054
I got a degree in Geosciences, I'm interested in paleontology so my work is in the museum world, pay is fairly average and its tough to break into but I absolutely love what I do
>>
>>7916088
Eh, he works for surveying firm in Colorado that maps ore deposits. Or something. Hes on facebook riding a truck with a huge auger on it. I can't speculate on how much money he makes but I kinda doubt it's 6 figures.
>>
>>7916064
That is completely untrue if you take it seriously. It can just be that easy to get a shitty job with a geo degree. You need at least physics and chemistry to get anywhere interesting with geo. I'm currently studying geo with the goal to work with a national forest reserve. Also learning rescue to add to my resume. National parks are more popular than Disney theme parks these days and most of them have at least one geologist on hand at all times, plus people are simply disappearing and they're short on rescue resources. It'll be a dream to educate people, take surveys, and try and help the lost all in a gorgeous natural environment.
>>
>>7916183
Good luck, I've been trying to break into the national park system for years and I have a geology and education background
>>
>>7916098
>but I absolutely love what I do
That's the most important thing anon
>>
>>7916207
Did you go to a school with connections to parks? I'm in contact with the head of the earth science department lead at north Carolina. Just through email, but we're on good terms and it looks like they're going to help get me into the program. They have great connections with the parks. What really got them interested was my founding member status of my colleges geo club. I'm very good at making connections with people and building social nets. Right now I'm looking at a summer internship at a local state park. It seems that if you're willing to be trained in rescue service as well that you stand a much better chance, since you'll be able to contribute in more ways than one. Park rangers that I've talked with have been very supportive of the idea and say it would really help greatly when applying.

I'd love to hear more details of your efforts. I support anyone else trying to get into the field. What road blocks have you faced and what measures have you taken to secure a job? What is your current job? Thanks!
>>
>>7916054
>>
>>7916225
Unfortunately my college gave no help what so ever in job placement unless you were going into oil so you probably do have a good chance. I have worked at three different museums for a total of about 6 years and currently I am working as a Naturalist at a camp. Basically I have a strong background and I just keep throwing my resume at the wall
>>
File: dTGZBmL.jpg (58KB, 531x471px) Image search: [Google]
dTGZBmL.jpg
58KB, 531x471px
>>7916233
>>
>>7916183
>e. You need at least physics and chemistry to get anywhere interesting with geo

This
>>
>>7916247
Damn, you need to get into contact with some parks. Do volunteer work and get to know the people working there. It really helps. Networking is amazing. I used to be very shy but once I started reaching out it became ezpz. Getting to know people in person works the best. Being willing to move works as well, but you still have to get to know people. Do you go to any geologist meetings/conferences? They're very helpful for getting to know people. Volunteering or getting hired to help a geologist doing work in a park helps as well, since you'll get to know people that way. I've learned that networking is key. Sorry to hear how hard it's been. It's a common story on reddit's geo forums. That's partly why I've put so much effort into making connections before I graduate. Even if I need to go get a master's before they'll hire me, they'll know me and the effort I put into my work.
>>
Why do few geo bros here? Anyone working in the field? Or studying it? What do you like/dislike about the field and the job market?
>>
>>7916862
There's a fair few of us in /out/

t. unemployed geofag
>>
File: bornite3.jpg (45KB, 288x260px) Image search: [Google]
bornite3.jpg
45KB, 288x260px
I got my masters in goechem. I do exploration for a copper porphyry company now. I make a little less than 6 fig after taxes. I can offer any tips about grad school and how to get a job
>>
>>7916912
If I want to enter the field, is a master's required for most jobs? When is the earliest time I can get an internship? Any advice you can give is Au. (Hahahahaha so funny am I right oh yeah us geo guys amirite? Holy fuck o please kill me)
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.