[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>If you don't score above 80% in your STEM subjects,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: 1372672232120.png (96KB, 332x333px) Image search: [Google]
1372672232120.png
96KB, 332x333px
>If you don't score above 80% in your STEM subjects, you shouldn't be studying/pursuing a career in STEM

Is this true /sci/? Every bio I've read about phd students, post docs, lecturers, TA and professors, all have immaculate academic records or atleast well above a 80% average overall

>tfw 65% average in my bachelors in Math so far
>>
>>7915068
65 % sounds like a lot to me, the passing rate for exams in my chem BSc is never significantly higher and sometimes lower than that.
But most of what I heard from TA is that they usually are good, but not constant overachievers. Profs are straight outstanding, no exception I know of.
I also plan to pursue a career in STEM, what I have been told is that grades in BSc matter really little and your MSc should just be good, but not necessarily better than straight B / < 2.0 / whatever the equivalent in Switzerland would be.
>>
It's kind of funny. I have made A's on my first to Calculus tests but made a 50% on my Chemistry test. I should have just taken Physics instead of Chemistry. Chemistry fucking sucks and it looks like im going to stuck taking Chemistry 102 even though I am going into Comp Sci

In other words, JUST.
>>
>>7915140
>I am going into Comp Sci
>Should've taken physics instead of chemistry
If you hate chemistry so much right now, physics would've made you suicide.
>>
>>7915068
It depends where you study. In some place having a 65% e better then having a 80% elsewhere
>>
>>7915068
Are you in first year? Lots of people have a rough start in STEM.
>>
File: 1283598732744.jpg (3KB, 109x126px) Image search: [Google]
1283598732744.jpg
3KB, 109x126px
>>7915113
>I also plan to pursue a career in STEM, what I have been told is that grades in BSc matter really little and your MSc should just be good
Pretty much this. Even if your BSc is average at best, if you pull your shit together for your MSc you'll be fine. With my study association we visit industry quite often on "field trips" to companies who hire graduates from my field (applied physics), think Shell, Tales, ASML, various consultancy and banking firms, etc. These companies want you to send a grade list, but if you apply often you have to do an in-house intelligence/competency test (online for pre-selection, after that they invite you and you have some project based tests) to prove you're not a retard, so it's not all grades, even though it does help of course. After a few years in industry companies generally don't care about grades anyway since experience is much more valued once you start working an actual job and making a career. Only if you want an academic career, having top tier grades becomes quite important, since we have special programs for excellent students that prepare for PhD research, but again these programs are part of the MSc curriculum, so you can still catch up if you get your shit together.
>>
You're mistaking correlation for causation. Most people who go on to top grad schools and academic jobs are bright, hard working, and enjoy their field. This often manifests itself in high grades.
>>
>>7915175
Well I'm taking Calculus with early vectors, so isn't Physics (mechanics) applications of vectors?

I mean I'm sure I could learn to like Chemistry it's just I hate having to learn new terms, whereas I could apply math that I already know/have an easy time learning.
>>
>>7915545
Woah, you seem knowledgeable. What are some possible career paths for a BSc in physics?
I mean, what can they do if research isn't particularly attractive. Is it such a closed field as it seems?
>>
>>7915068
3.0 GPA is minimum for most companies, and a masters is the best ROI for most STEM graduates.

~3.5 should be the goal. thats solid B's with a few A's mixed in.
>>
>>7915680
>~3.5 should be the goal. thats solid B's with a few A's mixed in.

Really, Einstein?
>>
>>7915959
You must be a blast to hang out with. I bet everyone finds your sarcasm hilarious and engaging.
>>
>>7915980
Mostly, yes, they do. But, I tend to hang out with folks who can do arithmetic.
>>
>>7915068
Nah, man, it's all about if you've got the drive to succeed!
...But guess what? You're a frogposter on 4chan, so success will never come to you as long as you live.
>>
>>7915959
By my calculation that would be equal part B's and A's
>>
>>7916235
on /sci/ no less
>>
>>7916235
#Rekt
>>
>>7915068
>>tfw 65% average in my bachelors in Math so far
quit now.

the university kikes are just keeping you in to take your student loan money.

you've probably been curved a couple of times as well, your real grade is well below 65%
>>
>tfw want to do a phd in math but can barely function as a somewhat person
>>
80% average here, Physics, a top UK uni, I just worked my balls off desu
That being said I still don't feel good enough for STEM research even though I'm told I am, maybe it's just natural to feel like that
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 550x550px
>qm test
>only know how to do 1/3 problems
>flip it over at time to turn in, there are 2 more that I could have done

I'll never be a physist now
>>
>>7915959
I'm double majoring in Applied Math + EE and my gpa is 3.52 for major classes. Outside of major is 3.43. I think it is a reasonable thing to expect a B+ or A- average from anyone seriously pursuing a degree in STEM.
>>
>>7916432
That's a prerequisite to doing a math PhD amigo
>>
File: 1431154164537.png (212KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1431154164537.png
212KB, 400x400px
>>7915488
>mfw failed all of my three exams in my first semester
>>
File: 1gHxb7S.png (206KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1gHxb7S.png
206KB, 500x384px
>literally get a 100 on my calculus midterm and final
>fail physics with a 58

what the fuck is wrong with me
>>
>>7915175
>physics would've made you suicide
>implying physics isn't just equations
>>
>>7915068
definitely. unless you're ready to give double the effort and change your 65% then you probably shouldn't try to go for something as demanding as a research career

but you can definitely do applied stuff, or general STEM work, there's plenty of jobs out there
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.