[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anyone have experience with tutoring maths and physics at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 23044.png (6KB, 299x299px) Image search: [Google]
23044.png
6KB, 299x299px
anyone have experience with tutoring maths and physics at pre uni level?
>>
no one been a tutee or tutor at gcse or a-level? really?
>>
>>7912538
I have I guess, why?
>>
>>7912538
Yah, shit was mandated at my highschool, if that's the level you mean.
>>
>>7913115
Just wondering if you have any advice on being a good tutor. I'm thinking of doing private tuition.
>>
>>7913122
wow, your school made it compulsory? Was it fee paying? Did tutor just go through lots of problems with you or explain concepts. Bit of both?
>>
>>7913123
prepare in advance. A good rule of thumb is 1 hour on your own for 1 hour with the person in higher education, so I guess 30min/1hour could be good.
know what you will be covering, what you will be asking of them as personal work. I don't know what more advice I can give for pre uni level, people are retarded at that level
>>
>>7913126
Private Religious HS, it was part of a service requirement. Upperclassmen helping lowerclassmen. No fee, it was helping problems and explaining concepts if needed.
>>
>>7913144
>>7913126
Actually, I'm going to give some anecdotal advice. My cousin used to teach highschool history courses (all varieties: Advanced Placement, honors, normal, whatever). The area we lived was REALLY fucking snobby and wealthy, filled with asians and jewish families.

She would always complain because--although the pay was good, wealthy families just throw money so that their kids can do better--the kids were absolute shit, wouldn't give an effort or cooperate. She said it was worth the pay long run, but really taxing mentally.
>>
>>7913152
Ok, I'm tired so it looks like I left out she was a high school teacher, but tutored for money on the side. And although history =/= math, the point with the area in which you tutor still holds. Expect kids to be little shits.
>>
>>7913153
ha yeah I'm guessing there'll be some upstarts and shits. I think it'll be mostly kids of upwardly mobile asians around here.
>>
I'm a moron in community college, but I've been tutoring math at this same community college for 1 year. I'm just going to write shit out about the last year, I hope this helps. Also, keep in mind I've been working for a school, and if you're doing private tutoring, things might be different.

Alright, keeping in mind that this is shit I'm making up RIGHT NOW, on the spot, here's what I think.

The easiest group of people to work with are the people you trust will ASK YOU when they don't understand something. So in these cases it's just like working on homework with someone else in your own class, or helping a sibling with their homework. You don't really need to do any work, and it's not even "tutoring" really. You'll readily talk back and forth with each other. I guess what I'm saying is, it's how people who are interested in math would talk with each other. If you can get people more towards this group, where there isn't a communication barrier, that's good.

From there, I think there are different reasons why people wouldn't want to talk to you about math in this way. e.g. they're not interested in this subject, just the same way you're (or at least, I'm) not interested in some other subjects. I really don't ever want to take another early US history class, and that's how a lot of people feel about math. So that's part of it. Also, a lot of people you'd work with probably don't remember stuff from earlier math classes, and that makes it hard/impossible for them to feel confident that they know what they're doing. Other people might get math help because they recently failed a test and have to do something or else they'll fail their class. So those are reasons most people would want math help.

I think tutoring math is pretty easy. Your goal is just to make sure that the person you're working actually understands the stuff, even when they seem to do the problem correctly. Examples:
>>
I currently tutor GCSE maths and physics as a physics student OP, be warned: kids are fucking SHITS.
My advice: write down everything you're going to teach them in the session and provide 2 examples. Then do exam questions. Don't bother trying to give them a deeper insight, they don't care.
>>
>>7912538
#1 piece of advice I can give:

Know the subject well enough to explain the material in multiple ways. Many times, students have trouble with a subject because the "official" explanation doesn't click with them. Don't just parrot the textbook explanation, try to see what exactly it is they're misunderstanding, and explain it in your own words. Analogy is especially powerful.
>>
>>7913418
(cont.)

- Someone asks you for help after they've been working on a problem for a while and haven't really gotten anywhere. Then when you're watching, they start over and everything goes perfectly.

- Someone works through a problem in the right way, but they get the wrong answer and can't figure out why. There's a negative sign missing somewhere, but the person doesn't troubleshoot their own work well, so they never catch these errors.

- Somebody asks you for an explanation of how to do something, and after you explain it, they say they get it even though they actually feel a bit unsure, OR they really think they do get it, but don't, and neither of you notice until they make a mistake somewhere.

- Somebody knows the routine for solving a certain homework problem, but there are concepts behind it they don't really understand at all, and when the problem changes a little bit they get lost.
>>
>>7913459
(cont.)

So these are all reasons why it's important to check that people really understand. And asking "do you understand" / "did you get that" doesn't work, so you should give people slight variation of problems that they couldn't do if they didn't understand the material. Or else when the person your working with gets stuck and asks you to tell them the next step to take, you should turn it around on them and force them to think through the problem by asking them to tell what they think they should do, or what it seems possible to do at that point.

Yeah I think that's all I got. Hope that helps.
>>
Good advice here, thanks.
>>
>>7912538
Yes
>>
>>7914081
ok mr. logician, do you have any advice on the matter to which you answered in the affirmative?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.