[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should a High School math teacher be required to take courses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

File: zzz.jpg (24KB, 400x275px) Image search: [Google]
zzz.jpg
24KB, 400x275px
Should a High School math teacher be required to take courses in Real Analysis and Abstract Algebra?
>>
Yes. I mean, they don't have to be Ph.Ds or anything but some understanding of what is going on should be required.
>>
>>7909878
No. Personally if I was a high school math teacher and had studied analysis, it would cause me to have an autism attack to teach shitty high school calculus.
>>
>>7909878
>abstract algebra
Romanian here - half of 12th year in hs is dedicated to abstract algebra, so I'd asume yes
>>
>>7909878
yes
there's a reason for the difference between a school teacher and a tutor
>>
>>7909931
what's on the syllabus?
>>
>>7909878
Of course.
>>
No anyone who learned calculus should be allowed to teach highschool.
>>
>>7909878
>>7909931

All algebra is abstract if youre stupid enough
>>
File: cuprins.jpg (956KB, 2844x2188px) Image search: [Google]
cuprins.jpg
956KB, 2844x2188px
>>7910045
Translating only chapter names in pic. I guess it's not much, but it's something.
>laws of composition
>groups
>rings and fields
>polynomial rings
>>
>>7909878

No.
>>
>>7910150
>groups
>rings and fields
>polynomial fields
Yes you should study abstract algebra.
>>
>>7910163
>Yes you should study abstract algebra.
What?
>>
>>7910050
But many high schools teach differential equations. Calculus is nothing compared to that. I remember when I was 16 and my AP Calculus teacher told my class, "want to destroy your social life, free time, friendships, and gpa? take that class" whilst pointing at differential equations.
>>
>>7910170
What do you mean what?
Those topics are basics of abstract algebra.
>>
>>7910181
Differential equations to what level anon?
>>
>>7910088
10/10 I like this tripfag
>>
>>7910191
First order, linear high-order, separable differential equations, solving systems of differential equatons, intro to eigenvectors and Lapace transforms.
>>
>>7910198
Then this is baby compared to calculus.
>>
>>7910198
easy fucking shit anon
>>
>>7910181
sounds like the kind of bs exaggerations algebra teachers make about calculus.
>>
>>7910214
He recommended IB Math SL or someshit like that instead and said "if you really want to try that hard to make your transcript look good". Algebra teachers there did not make much of a fuss about calculus, unless you count Algebra I and Geometry teachers who treated it as some form elitst math that only prodigies can do decent in. Oh, and all of the non-science teachers exaggerated it too. They'd always say shit like "that's ridiciously hard, no matter how good you are at math!". It's a pretty nice meme-scare tactic 2bh.
>>
>>7910226
>what is functional analysis
Why don't algebra teachers want people to do more algebra?
>>
>>7909878
If the job pays well enough, then yes.
Otherwise fuck that
>>
>>7910240
>fuck that
Why? It's literally first year university.
>>
>>7910226
>IB Math SL
AKA highschool math for business majors
if HL is offered and you plan to do science or even godfuckengeneering it's seriously your only option
>>
>>7910214
I hate the exaggerations that ALL k-12 teachers put on classes that go beyond the middle school curriculum. And it's really sad that there's little middleground in terms of educational guidance -- you go straight from high school teachers, the academic failures/only there to support the sports programs
>calc is tough! you gotta study it for hours by yourself after lectures if you want to get even a 4 on the AP exam!
to university where the professors are just so many times more educated and experienced (than the high school teachers)
>you're not doing big rudin by your second year? might as well give up any aspirations about grad school anon, I'm going to advise you towards the applied math program instead
>>
>>7910232
>Why don't algebra teachers want people to do more algebra?
I'm guessing because Algebra I teachers assume that the students in their class are too retarded to do that, which is why they wound up taking a primary school class in high school. All the teachers in Algebra II and up did not exaggerate calculus at all. I highly doubt there exists any precalc and/or honors math analysis teacher who would exaggerate calculus 2bh.

>>7910445
HL was offered, too.
>>
>>7910474
>rudin
stop this
>>
>>7910481
>I'm guessing because Algebra I teachers assume that the students in their class are too retarded to do that, which is why they wound up taking a primary school class in high school.
Okay this is where I ask that you define what algebra is.
>All the teachers in Algebra II and up did not exaggerate calculus at all. I highly doubt there exists any precalc and/or honors math analysis teacher who would exaggerate calculus 2bh.
Exaggerate in which direction?
>>
>>7909878
Looking back on high school I honestly have no idea how it took 12 years to learn the small amount that we learned. It would be nice for something like abstract algebra to be an option.
>>
>>7909878
They already are albeit watered version
>>
>>7910494
Yeah, it sounds crazy that the highest level most high school will go up to is the equivalent of Calc II when it feels like if you taught kids basic logic and set theory just a little bit earlier they could skip calculus altogether and move on to some sort of introductory analysis or algebra class.
>>
[math]\{ \text{natural child wranglers} \} \cap \{ \text{people who can do grown-up math} \} =\varnothing[/math]
>>
Honestly yeah. You should be equipped to handle all your students questions. At the very least you should have enough around-the-corner knowledge to overwhelm any pesky aspies that might otherwise threaten your respect among students.
>>
>>7910515

i keked at this jayzzuuusss

well done anon
>>
>>7910515
solid post
>>
YEah beacause when that freaking nerd kid in class starts asking you abstract algebra questions you have to maintain your respect in classroom.
>>
>>7910181
What?
Calculus is all about differential equations, limits and integrals.
>>
>>7910596
>Calculus is all about differential equations
gotta be 18 to post here buddy
>>
>>7910184
And they learn them in Romanian high school.
>>
>>7910600
I don't know about you, but to the extent we had calculus, the differential equations were definitely not we had in high school. So I think you just have less credits in calculus than what I have.
>>
>>7910621
>credits
No idea what you're talking about.
First and second order ODEs are seen in highschool here.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.