[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/, so I found a bottle of mercury in my physics classroom

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

File: Pouring_liquid_mercury_bionerd.jpg (653KB, 1209x1311px) Image search: [Google]
Pouring_liquid_mercury_bionerd.jpg
653KB, 1209x1311px
Hey /sci/, so I found a bottle of mercury in my physics classroom and i touched it with my pencil. Then I touched the same pencil with my fingers.

Am I going to die?
>>
>>7904275
go to the ER moron
>>
Isn't mercury just very heavy, it's not poisonous, nothing bad would happen if it just touched my skin, right?
>>
the vapor is super toxic, touching it without gloves isn't recommended, but it absorbs really slowly into the skin, you'll be k

Also touching your pencil should be aight
>>
>>7904286
Oh, now I'm relieved, thank you.
>>
>>7904286
Touching the pencil can lead to lead poisoning though.
>>
>>7904275
Lick it anon
>>
>>7904283
>One drop on your hand is lethal
>Not poisonous
>>
>>7904275

>physics student
>smart

pick one.
>>
File: 1456758646369.png (513KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456758646369.png
513KB, 1280x720px
>>7904587
>graphite is lead
>>
>>7904602
>Claiming pencils are made out of graphene.
>>
>>7904275
Most likely there are no remains on the pencil, however

1. Throw the pencil away.
2. If you put it in a pocket, throw the clothing article away
3. wash your hands very thoroughly
4. shower.

People have been putting mercury in their mouths for decades, and they were ok for the most part.
Such sort contact won't be very damaging, but it's best to be careful.
>>
>>7904275
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNx2bJUctRE
>>
>>7904275
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n2L-pAem2k&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>7904622
>paranoia

Seriously though, mercury has low skin absorption and you'd need to bathe in it to get mercury poisoning. Unless you make this a regular thing, nothing will happen to you.

Vapors and ingesting on the other hand, not a good idea.
>>
File: 1456809030391.gif (608KB, 480x396px) Image search: [Google]
1456809030391.gif
608KB, 480x396px
>>7904609
>graphite is graphene
>>
>>7904275
You're lucky no one found out. Mercury exposed to air is pretty much an auto evacuate for the whole building
>>
>>7904596
>One drop on your hand is lethal
bullshit
>>
>>7904622
>they were OK for the most part
MAD AS A HATTER
>>
>>7904275
>bionerd
Cringed
>>
>>7904275
I broke a thermometer in chemistry and played with the droplets with my pen, it has really low adhesion so there's probably none/very little on your hand

>>7904682
>memeing
>>
Try putting it on a burner and inhaling the fumes for immunity.
>>
>>7904275
Find the Mercury and drink small amounts, getting bigger and bigger

Then, you'll develop immunity
>>
If we're lucky, then you'll stop shitposting.
>>
>>7904275
>Am I going to die?
Yes. Human life is fleeting a fragile, the sooner you accept this the sooner you can grow as a person. The mercury probably won't do you in, though.
>>
>>7904674
Didn't people use to bath in it? THinking it had magical healing properties`
>>
Lick it
>>
>>7904674
This.
Also, requesting the pic of the guy dipping his dick into liquid mercury (or possibly gallium). Somebody must have it.
>>
>>7904275
it would be extremely painful
>>
>>7905225
As long as you don't inhale it it's more or less perfectly safe to drink it. It's still used as a laxative in some places.
>>
i think avoiding the vapor is more important than avoiding skin contact
but don't go shoving your hand into it
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1FnF5zUPEE
>>
>>7904275

Yes, someday
>>
>>7904705
If it was methyl mercury (and some other organomercury compounds) it would be.

But no school would be negligent enough to let you play with them
>>
>>7904674
People are thinking about organomercury compounds here. Those are incredibly toxic. A girl was killed when some dimethylmercury seeped through her gloves. Took a whole year to die too.
>>
>>7906364
>If it was methyl mercury (and some other organomercury compounds) it would be.

>Oxygen is lethal
>no its not
>Well, if its was Oxygen difluoride it would be

Literally this retarded
>>
>>7904602
>>7904679
Weeaboos are a burden on society.
>>
>>7904596
mercury and dimethylmercury are not the same thing
>>
>>7906395
No need to be so hostile, anon.
I wasn't the poster who said one drop would kill you.

I also meant dimethylmercury.
>>
>>7906420
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>7906452
I don’t give a fuck who you are or where you live. You can count on me to be there to bring your fucking life to a hellish end. I’ll put you in so much fucking pain that it’ll make Jesus being nailed to a cross in the desert look like a fucking back massage on a tropical island. I don’t give a fuck how many friends you have or how tough you are IRL, how well you can fight, or how many fucking guns you own to protect yourself. I’ll fucking show up at your house when you aren’t home. I’ll turn all the lights on in your house, leave all the water running, open your fridge door and not close it, and turn your gas stove burners on and let them waste gas. You’re going to start stressing the fuck out, your blood pressure will triple, and you’ll have a fucking heart attack. You’ll go to the hospital for a heart operation, and the last thing you’ll see when you’re being put under in the operating room is me hovering above you, dressed like a doctor. When you wake up after being operated on, wondering what ticking time bomb is in your chest waiting to go off. You’ll recover fully from your heart surgery. And when you walk out the front door of the hospital to go home I’ll run you over with my fucking car out of no where and kill you. I just want you to know how easily I could fucking destroy your pathetic excuse of a life, but how I’d rather go to a great fucking length to make sure your last remaining days are spent in a living, breathing fucking hell. It’s too late to save yourself, but don’t bother committing suicide either… I’ll fucking resuscitate you and kill you again myself you bitch-faced faggot. Welcome to hell, population: you
>>
>>7906452
>>7906579

what just happened here?
>>
>>7906624
Reddit happened
>>
>>7906452
>>7906579
science sure is swell.
>>
>>7906729
yup, you could almost say I fucking love it
>>
>lab got moved to new building last year
>searching old "abandoned" building for gas/tubing parts
>find a toolbox next to gas cylinder on one floor
>start browsing through, actually find a valve I need
>see dirty-ass glass bottle
>pick it up, oddly heavy
>slosh it around, see mercury inside
>drop it immediately, see four more bottles
>mfw anyone could just pick this shit up, all halls and most doors unlocked
>tfw can't blame shitty research progress on it cause no contamination

Grabbed some glassware and standard weights for scale calibration, too.
>>
>>7904283
it doesn't kill until you start breathing mercury fumes
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.