[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>have a passion on a subject >no interest on any other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

File: dumbkid.jpg (49KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dumbkid.jpg
49KB, 1280x720px
>have a passion on a subject
>no interest on any other field besides this subject
>send letter to professors asking for internship and showing I know the field and am interested on it
>even give him an interesting idea/observation about his own study
>he even says my idea was good
>asks resume
>not replies

my GPA is 2.8. fucking seriously? how big does your dick need to be to get a fucking scientific initiation? do you prefer some chinese robot that gives zero fucks about the field or someone who is genuinely interested on what you do?
>>
>>7900511
>2.8 GPA

Anyone can write a letter.
Anyone can google a few buzzwords and pretend to be interested on something
Anyone can spend some minutes thinking about the buzzwords and give a plastic 'observation' about a topic.

If you were actually passionate about your subject your GPA would literally 4.0. What excuse do you have for this to not be the casE? How strong is your passion if you couldn't even manage a >3.0 GPA, which is the lowest acceptable grade.

Yes, I mean this. If you graduate with a GPA lower than 3 you might aswell have not gone to university at all.

I'm sorry friendo, you just got the retard treatment a retard like you deserves.
>>
>>7900511
Do you think that there aren't people who have passion and can perform at least okay in classes?
>>
2.8 gpa is pretty fucking mediocre, and is a huge warning to an adviser that research is over your head
>>
>>7900511

It's not enough to just want to do it. Besides, if you can't get the grades for it, then you probably didn't want it enough anyway.

I had a friend who talked a lot like you. She said she wanted nothing more than to be a vet. She never put in the work, whined constantly about how she would make a better vet than other people in her program, and then switched majors when she realized she wasn't going to get into vet school.

tl;dr Nothing was stacked against you. The problem is you.
>>
>>7900673
>vet school
wew lad, you gotta have a lot of gumption to even enroll in that.
>>
>>7900673
>>7900668
>>7900651
>>7900517
>muh rounded number

a fucking 2.8 gpa means I got at least 70% of the stuff that was teached right. and most of that stuff don't have anything to do with the field. I might as well be hired for winning a judo tournament.

>Anyone can spend some minutes thinking about the buzzwords and give a plastic 'observation' about a topic.

bullshit

>>7900673
great
so next time I will only sign up for bullshit easy disciplines to boost my GPA. that will show the professors how competent I am.
>>
>>7900684
>so next time I will only sign up for bullshit easy disciplines to boost my GPA. that will show the professors how competent I am.
Then they'll look at your courseload and see it's shit. The thing is, smart people *somehow* get good grades in hard classes. Maybe you aren't as smart as you think your are?
>>
File: 1447644857754.png (531KB, 1195x1151px) Image search: [Google]
1447644857754.png
531KB, 1195x1151px
I dunno I had like a 2.3 and did an internship where I worked with bees in a lab.

Now I work for a bio tech company. Nobody gives a flying fuck about your GPA unless you're going to med school.
>>
>>7900685
I never said I was smart. And you aren't either if you think good grades equal to scientific competence. On my entrance exam to university I was top 20 on my course, 75 out of 90 which is damn good and got top 5 grades on the last 4 years. Just recently my grades started to go to shit because I'M FUCKING SICK of studying stuff that has nothing to do with my field of interest, and I invested tons of time reading papers about it and even making observations about it that professors congratulated me for. suddenly all of this becomes irrelevant because I don't give two fucks about animal behavior or ecology. well, fuck you.
>>
>>7900684
How do you not understand that people can get good (i.e. at least a 3.0) grades in their subject? It doesn't mean they don't care. It doesn't make them exambabbys. It doesn't mean they cheated or took an easy courseload. Why is this so unbelievable?
>>
>>7900704
say it for yourself
>>
>>7900511

OP is a butthurt retard
>>
>>7900703
Op, you sir are correct in your statement. Fuck these autistic man children who try to bring down anyone who does not agree with their ideology.
> muhh GPA....
>>
>>7900703
So you should be entitled because you got good grades on your entrance exams but made little effort in your studies? Science is hard and at times tedious work, your skills are more in line with data entry
>>
>>7900703
>I never said I was smart.
I didn't say that you think you're smart, I said that you are not as smart as you think you are.

>And you aren't either if you think good grades equal to scientific competence.
Good grades are a sign that you are a smart, motivated individual, not that you are scientifically competent. Consider that you were not ignored because you lack scientific competence.

>Just recently my grades started to go to shit because I'M FUCKING SICK of studying stuff that has nothing to do with my field of interest, and I invested tons of time reading papers about it and even making observations about it that professors congratulated me for.
Sounds like you're either lazy or just making excuses for not being able to handle the courseload. Either way, you were stupid to think you could just blow off classes and not face consequences.
>>
>>7900511
>my GPA is 2.8
Anon, you have less than a 3.0. The "I only really care about my field" excuse doesn't reach that far.

A 2.8 says that you either aren't really good at what you're doing, or you stop making even a half-assed effort when something stops interesting you.
>>
>>7900703
>And you aren't either if you think good grades equal to scientific competence
Nobody said that. You have to consider that there are people who have as much potential as you, aced their entrance exams, have taken initiative to get involved in their chosen field, and still have put some effort into their courses.
>>
>>7900511
>scientific initiation
i had one of those. Drank like four shots of isopropyl alcohol. Was a pretty good time until it really fucking wasn't, ho boy I tell you hwut
>>
>>7900762
>>7900755
>>7900704
>score of 70/100 is half assed because after the retarded american unit system convertion it doesn't look like a pretty rounded number such as 3.0

m8, the professor said my idea was good and even said I could actually work on it. now he's going to put some clueless chinese piece of shit to work on my idea because he memorized more latim names than I did. fuck you.
>>
>>7900910
Lmoa you guys this anon just got scooped
>>
>>7900703
>i got mediocre grades on entrance exams! I'm "passionate"!
>Good grades don't equal scientific competence, the fact that I have shit work ethic does!

You said it yourself.
>I never said I was smart
>>
>>7900929
>You said it yourself, because you said you got good grades
you are a not a smart person yourself anon. think harder.
>75 on that entrance exam is mediocre
>top 5 grades out of 40 students for 4 years is mediocre
you have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about desu. stop posting.
>>
>>7900511
Have you already graduated?
>>
>>7900922
ayyyyy lmaoooo stealing ideas in science is so fahnnyy XDXDXDXD
>>
>>7900956
no
>>
>>7900950
What you said yourself is
hence the fucking space between those two paragraphs, idiot.

Top 20 is nothing to be proud of. 5/40 is nothing to be proud off. You want to be serious about academia? You're competing against people most of who aren't going to pursue further studies and academic careers. Be the very best at your small shithole or give up. Crying here is just pathetic.
>>
>>7900959

Would you consider delaying graduation in order to boost your GPA? Does your University do grade replacement?

That GPA is going to really hurt you if you don't get it up to AT LEAST a 3.0. Your GPA might not matter to you, it might not reflect how capable you may be scientifically, but it DOES matter to your professors and you can't get around that.
>>
>>7900957
That's not what I'm getting at. It's extremely frustrating when it happens.
It just fascinates me how despite being conspicuously undisciplined or incompetent (or both) you surround yourself with all the superficial trappings of the science lyfe to such a degree that you, ironically enough, have an actual idea actually stolen from under you.

At some level you likely hoped for this all along though. You're desperate for anything that will tell you you're somehow part of, relevant to and cut out for this world, am I right?
>>
>>7900511
>my GPA is 2.8. fucking seriously?
So you would have failed out of a graduate program. If you are actually competent, just get them to like you and such problems will be overlooked.
>>
File: 1456806157524.gif (2MB, 206x223px) Image search: [Google]
1456806157524.gif
2MB, 206x223px
>>7900684
>a fucking 2.8 gpa means I got at least 70% of the stuff that was teached right
>teached

AHAHAHAHAHA
/Sci/ really is the stupidest board on 4chan.
>>
>>7900964
>muh try harder
>muh meritocracy
>muh lions in a field of lions
>muh man the fuck up
>if you don't memorize all those latim names you can't work you the field you want
>work on B chromosomes of ants instead
fuck you

>>7900976
I'm an exchange student in the US. in my country grades matter but that's not what professors look for the most.

that 2.8 came from the quarter I stayed here. I had been told 2.0 was good by my fucking advisors so I gave zero fucks. now I got no chance of getting an internship on summer, and I leave on the beginning of this fall.

>>7900999
where did all this bitterness come from anon? do you see yourself as a true champion who deserves all the opportunities because you are a hardworking, disciplined individual who memorized names and reactions instead of going out with those undisciplined, entitled kids, despite having no creativity or knowledge on anything besides what professors put on a test for you? you are such a hardworking man! you deserve a gold star!
>>
>>7900910
Don't worry. People who took classes with others their own age don't understand what it really means to take "hard classes" yet.
>>
>>7901020
>I was told 2.0 GPA was good.
kek

>memorize
>memorize
>memorize
you being and idiot doesn't mean that people who do well memorize. unless you study something like bio / chem in which case NICE STAMP COLLECTING, FAGGOT

300k starting master race
>>
>>7901039
>do over a billion math/physics exercises
>did so many of them you MEMORIZED all the tricks and gimmicks to solve them
>memorize formulas
>somehow thinks his course is superior to bio/chem

kekekekek
>>
>>7901053
>math and physics is memorizing and plug-chugging

mad stamp collecting faggot broadcasting that he never took any math beyond high school (hint: math is about proving things)
>>
>>7901062
>memorize way to prove fundamental limit theorem
whoa how difficult
no to mention you or no one will ever have to prove jackshit in their lives and some mathematicians are even proud of studying useless subjects. grats mathfag
wanna know what you have to truly understand to actually use it? biostatistics.
>>
>>7901069
>memorize every proof
kek

>no to mention you or no one will ever have to prove jackshit in their lives
???

>wanna know what you have to truly understand to actually use it? biostatistics
>applied applications of applied math
>hard
stamp collectors, when will they ever learn?
>>
>>7901075
>proud of being useless
might as well be a neet senpai
>>
>>7901080
>proud of being a useless student of a banal, trivial applied subject
your whole thread is just you crying
>>
>>7901083
>applied is trivial
>useless is not

I thought you guys were good with logic
>>
>>7901089
that's exactly the point. applied is trivial, since you already solved all the problems when you developed the theory. you're just using it now.

>>
>>7901094
whoa anon, you should go tell every phd every statistical problem that exists is already solved. you would save them so much time
>>
>>7900684
If my unit has 70% hit rate in fe I get very worried
>>
>>7901020
>implying I need to be bitter to take you down a peg or two

>despite having no creativity or knowledge on anything besides what professors put on a test for you?
I have these in droves. Refer to >>7900762

>instead of going out with those undisciplined, entitled kids
>instead of
ayyyy lmao
>>
>>7900511
>2.8 GPA

The humorous notion that Einstein was an idiot by conventional standards is wrong. He got superb grades.

The meme that grades aren't intelligence and you are better because you're interested belongs in the same category as smart but lazy and could've if I tried. You need a certain amount of knowledge just to understand a field, not even talking about research.

If you're so damn passionate about it, get better grades.
>>
>>7900511
>2.8 GPA
lmao did you even pass high school
>>
File: 1456211491028.gif (436KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1456211491028.gif
436KB, 320x240px
>>7900684
>a fucking 2.8 gpa means I got at least 70% of the stuff that was teached right.
Oh sweet Jesus, PLEASE be a troll.
>>
>>7900517
>If you were actually passionate about your subject your GPA would literally 4.0.
>Passionate about a single subject
>University requires 9000 units of general-ed
>"Why u no 4.0?"
>>
You guys can bash OP all you want. That professor made a mistake imo. Chinese robots are cheap and do rarely produce anything new...he should have given OP a chance, 2.8 is not THAT shitty
>>
>>7900704
I've noticed most of /sci/ is pure exambabbys.
>>
File: TOP SHELF.jpg (38KB, 736x256px) Image search: [Google]
TOP SHELF.jpg
38KB, 736x256px
>>7900747
>I didn't say that you think you're smart, I said that you are not as smart as you think you are

FUKKIN SAVAGED
>>
>>7900747
fug this is brĂ¼tal
>>
>>7900693

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J2kc4oZTVU
>>
>>7902508
The thing is, we don't even know that OP was passed over for a Chinese robot. It seems that OP is convinced that anybody with better grades must be a Chinese robot, when in reality there was probably just a more qualified candidate. He's just a whiny cunt.
>>
File: buzz off johnny.gif (978KB, 498x291px) Image search: [Google]
buzz off johnny.gif
978KB, 498x291px
>>7902702
>>
>>7901020
>I was told 2.0 is good

No, you were told 2.0 is the minimum required to be awarded your degree
>>
>>7900684
a 2.8 gpa means that you had worse than a B average.

>I got at least 70% of the stuff that was teached right
apparently the word "taught" was part of the 30%
but no you're right it's the teacher's fault that you're too stupid to earn good grades

>next time I will only sign up for bullshit easy disciplines to boost my GPA
A better idea would be to work harder next time
or maybe just admit that you're not as smart as you think you are
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 512x384px
>rarely go on /sci/
>never good at math or science
>only good at meme-tier shit like writing
>graduate HS with barely a 3.0
>realize how truly meaningless everything besides math and science
>mfw I wasted my time completely
>mfw it is too late for me to amount to anything
>mfw I will never have a real job

Dubs decide if I kill myself.
>>
>>7903061
>>7903061
>>realize how truly meaningless everything besides math and science
You should kill yourself if you actually believe something like this.
>>
>>7903061
go to high school again
>>
File: dfwb.jpg (15KB, 300x343px) Image search: [Google]
dfwb.jpg
15KB, 300x343px
>>7903061
>graduate HS with like a 2.7 GPA
>get into state school just on standardized test bullshit
>transfer out after a year with perfect grades because I realized I wanted to go to a meme school
>get into MIT
>graduate and move into my parents house again with no desire to do anything with my life

hold onto that passion anon, the dream is better than the reality
>>
>>7903061
Go to cheap community uni with crap job money. Gpa means little when you have your associates degree.
>>
>>7900747
>>7902678
>>7902558
nice samefag
>>
>>7901594
grade A: 90% and above
grade B: 80% and above
grade C: 70% and above

without mentioning curves that put you down because of chinese fucks who get 98% so if you get 90 you still get a B. so fuck you.
>>
>>7903309
forget the "above" for b and c
>inb4 dumbass
>>
>>7900511

Don't put your GPA on your resume or CV, it's not necessary. Most CVs that I've seen do not have GPAs. And, I've never seen a resume with a GPA listed. (No one in industry gives a shit.)

OP, I had a 3.0 GPA in undergrad, and my science/math GPA was around a 2.8. (For what it's worth, I didn't realize it was that low until one of my grad school applications required separate my science/math average.) But, my undergrad research experience was more important to getting a job than my grades. I started in a lab for about a year in undergrad. Then job-hopped in industry (biotech) at a few smaller, CRO-type firms for about a year before going back to work as a tech in academia for another two years.
>>
>>7903930
But how do you get internships and experience with a poor GPA?
>>
>>7904885
You don't apply for the "super 1337 fellows internship that does all the cool stuff", you apply for the "code-monkey" internship and network. I knew professors who would give undergrad research to whoever they knew, because it's important and they understood who you were better.

Having amazing credentials doesn't bar you from climbing the ladder, it just determines which rung you start on.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.