[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>study math/physics >lol no job >study engineering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 2

File: 1436555253825.gif (488KB, 500x323px) Image search: [Google]
1436555253825.gif
488KB, 500x323px
>study math/physics
>lol no job

>study engineering
>lol no intelligence

you can't win
>>
>>7892981
If you're not resourceful enough to get a job using your math degree you're a pathetic human being.
>>
Count yourself lucky that you enjoy studying STEM. Try getting a high-paying job in today's society with only a philosophy or lit degree.
>>
>>7892981
minor in physics worth it ?
doing a CE major
>>
>>7893009
Minoring in physics is a total fucking waste. What possible use could it serve other than going to grad school in physics if your major is math
>>
>>7893013
are you fucking retarded? you realize that most engineering fields apply physics right? having more of it isn't a detriment it's a benefit, especially for CE. think before you post.
>>
>>7893017
What is with your rage? A physics minor is largely meaningless for employment. That's just a realistic assessment. Feel free to actually explain yourself, or just call me an unthinking retard again
>>
>>7893022
you think that getting a physics minor is pointless for a field which applies physics...here's a realistic assessment; you're a fucking oxygen thief.
>>
learn a trade
>>
>>7893029
>less than no intelligence
>>
>>7892981
>study engineering
>lol no intelligence
Oh well, I guess you lose some and win some. As long as the outcome is income
>>
>>7893036
the irony is that your income will be wasted since you'll be too busy working your ass off on menial shit to use it on hobbies.
>>
>>7893040
>the irony is that your income will be wasted since you'll be too busy working your ass off on menial shit to use it on hobbies

THIS IS MY GREATEST FEAR IN ALL OF MY MORTAL LIFE
>>
>>7893079
>make a lot of money
>lol no time to use it

>make average cash
>tons of free time

this is why math postdoc research is the cushiest thing ever.
>>
>>7892981

I know people in my country that is finding jobs with math, and in my country find a job with everything is very diffucult, but seems that managers are looking for mathematicians for some reason.
>>
>Engineering is one class away from a math minor at most schools and only a few away from a dual major
>>
File: 1421100822762.png (414KB, 920x654px) Image search: [Google]
1421100822762.png
414KB, 920x654px
>>7893084
>mom and dad work their asses off so their kid can have a better life than they
>kid ends up with high up job, great pay, hard work
>no time for family, fun, or life in general outside of work

St. Augustine was right.

>>7893100
My school won't let you pick up a math minor with engineering because of the overlaps. I believe you can still pursue the double major, but it requires like 5-6 more classes.
>>
>>7893009
Physics is also chaotic evil, so it'll be a great complement to your CE major.
>>
>>7893110
>Physics is also chaotic evil

by any chance, are you a christian religious fanatic dungeons and dragons geek?
>>
>>7893120
No, I'm a Dungeons and Dragons geek who was ruined on physics by a really bad physics professor.
>>
>>7893040
Nah mate, anime torrents are a thing.
>>
>>7893104
NIGGA YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW THE MEANING OF CAN'T

MY SCHOOL SEPARATES CALCULUS AND OTHER MATH SHIT ACCORDING TO WHETHER ITS ENGINEERING OR NOT SO YOU DON'T GET A MINOR

FUCKING

JEWS
>>
>>7893125
fair enough.

was it a female prof?
>>
>>7893136
ya
>>
>>7893136
No. The only female math/science prof I had was the one that really got me fascinated with postsecondary mathematics in the first place.
>>
>>7893100

>tfw every overlapping math courses with your major has to be replaced with an equivalent or higher level math elective for a minor at my school
Math minor only needed 9 math courses here, and CS already takes 7, but with that gay-ass overlapping not counting things you have to take like 2 courses less than a math degree just to get a math minor, so no one gets a math minor and just double majors instead. It's kinda stupid. Especially since I hear a lot of schools don't need this, and some require even less math courses for a minor (like 6-7 and overlap doesn't matter).
>>
>>7892981
>study biology
>some retard on the internet makes fun of me
>get three job offers right out of school

>all these math fags who can't get jobs outside of working as a teacher
>b-but m-muh RIGOER
>>
>>7892981
>study engineering
>get job and work part-time
>go back to grad school part-time for math and physics
>>
>>7893285
>M-muh rigour!!
>300k starting!!
>ANY job I WANT!!
>>
>>7893140
thats nice.

the only female math/science prof i ever had was the one that didnt know jack shit about science who manages to hide it with skillful asshatery, probably fucked her way into a phd (now old ugly, and bitter), and also a psychotic control freak with political ambitions.
>>
>>7893307
you can't go to grad school for math or physics if you get an engineering degree. it's basically impossible because you have to be able to do stuff like calculus and net force equations during the program which goes beyond the engineering curriculum.
>>
>>7892981
Im taking engineering and studying physics on my own. So im both winning and not
>>
>>7893349
anything you can study on your own isn't worth bringing up.
>>
>>7892981
If you listen to what a bunch of anonymous autists at a chinese cartoon board say, you're a pathetic human being.
>>
>>7893327
>calculus and net force equations
>goes beyond the engineering curriculum

nice meme.
>>
>>7893353
Dumbest shit ever said right here.
>>
>>7893369
you being able to read a textbook on your free time is not the same as someone being heckled by a prof about deadlines and marks. it's not on the same level at all. you probably can't even cite plasma confinement PDEs by heart.
>>
>>7893375
Just because you can't get anything done without a professor breathing down your neck doesn't mean everybody else can't too.
>>
>>7892981
>>lol no intelligence

Only physics majors who've never seen one once of applications think that.
>>
>>7893390
being able to apply an equation to a situation is babby tier compared to deriving that equation in the first place. you just punch in figures into tools other people made for you with their vast knowledge of the world.
>>
>>7893391
>deriving that equation
It's still exam babby shit, whether you faggot math majors want to admit it or not.

Try designing and maintaining a real world project that uses physics principles everywhere -- keeping it within spec, budget and deadline.

That's why engineers are smarter and more resourceful than math majors and why it's harder to get into almost any engineering program than a math program at the same school.

>but m-muh proofs and lemmas
>>
>>7892981
>implying I cant make 80k plus any actuarial assistance job I want
>>
>>7893285
I work in an office on campus and my boss is a bio major. She makes 30k a year. Congrats dude

oh and shes also retarded
>>
>>7893418
you're delusional. the difficulty of handling large projects is in the number of people that have to be organized in drove to design and test various components, none of which bears the same level of difficulty for giving you plebs the framework to go "given these assumptions that we don't have to test", else you'd never be able to progress through projects without hiring a ton of physicists in the first place. what you do is merely quantitative number crunching and is nowhere near the same level of R&D that physicists do.
>>
>>7893009
>minor in physics worth it ?
It's 4~5 advanced courses.

Analytical Mechanics is useful for robotics
Electrodynamics is the theory behind the applied EM in EE
Thermal Physics is the background theory behind most of those electronics equations you never saw derived
QM and Atomic Physics may be useful for QC
Solid State Physics may be useful if you're interested in superconducting devices. But take the EE/CE semicoductor device physics class if you're interested in that as physics classes halfass it
Modern Physics Lab is good if you plan on entering physics grad school
Optics is better done in EE/CE departments since you know more going in
Particles aren't very useful unless you go into it
>>
>>7892981
>you can't win
Huh. OP. It's almost as if people will shit on you for just existing. Strange right?
>>
>>7893391
>being able to apply an equation to a situation is babby tier

t. someone who has never seen applications
>>
>>7893443
>oh look a rocket! dude kinematics lmao!

wow amazing you sure rekt those physicists with your hectik applicationz. why even live.
>>
>>7893445
>Analyzing just a single rocket reduced to a point
>Not analyzing each part that makes it up as it flies

Next time I have a spherical cow in a vacumm, I'll be sure to call for you
>>
>>7893461
>biting the hand that feeds you

tell you what. you try to contribute something that's actually inventive, without using our shitty vacuum models, and i'll eat my shoe. till then, know your place bitchboy.
>>
>>7893463
Aerospace Engineers invented much of the physics they use since physicists are too scared of air
>>
>>7893463
>know your place bitchboi
t. first year physics major
>>
>>7893467
engineers, by the definition of their title, invent nothing in terms of scientific frameworks. they utilize them in order to invent devices processes. don't try to inflate your ego. i'm not saying you guys are useless, just that you aren't in any way shape or form as valuable as a real scientist. let me put this into perspective.

say you had a problem designing an irrigation plant for crops in a city. as a scientist i might struggle with applications because there are a clusterfuck of materials and parameters they all have, which may fit or not fit with the design of the plumbing, impellers, and so forth. but for you, you have no theoretical foresight to think of how to derive those parameters. for me, it's a matter of either finding an appendix of those tables, or deriving them, but for you? you have to use the appendix, and as such, are quickly a liability if they aren't available. as such, you are less valuable to any project that may stress design constraints to push better performing alloys, composites, and so forth.
>>
>>7893485
Is this bait? Are you actually this retarded?
>>
>>7893486
it's fact dude. i'm sorry if you're butthurt, but like i said, everyone has a place in this world. don't be so insecure. you're probably really good with your hands you know?
>>
>>7892981
Engineering majors are considered more intelligent everywhere other than /sci/ so maybe you should just stop caring what insecure impotent neckbeards spout on the internet?
>>
>>7893485
>because people never think about anything other than their function or purpose. they would never notice the oddities of their profession and seek to explore those things.

that would be madness.
>>
>>7893495
but that's false. an engineer for example couldn't make a fusion reactor or quantum computer, both of which play a significant role in gauging ones intelligence.
>>
>>7893485
>engineers, by the definition of their title, invent nothing in terms of scientific frameworks

The electrical engineer Heaviside invented the 4 """Maxwell"""" equations, Heaviside calculus aka the """Laplace""" transforms and operator theory, the impulse function aka """ Dirac""" delta function, discovered the """Poynting""" vector, and predicted the Heaviside layer aka ionosphere who's nobel prize was stolen by the physicist Appleton.
>>
>>7893486
>Are you actually this retarded

Probably is. I've met such physics majors in real life.
>>
>>7893500
neither can a physics major.
>>
>>7893005
>Try getting a high-paying job in today's society with only a philosophy or lit degree

Tenured humanities faculty do pretty well and can literally joke and bullshit their way through classes and make shit up as they go along, while getting the same pay as a professor of physics/math etc.

Lawyers, politicians, and the like also do well with such degrees.

Billionaire Peter Thiel, co founder of Paypal, has a fucking philosophy degree.

Quit sperging out for a second and you will have to admit you are wrong.
>>
>>7892981
>>study math/physics
>>lol no job
you pick this route.

you win by actually publishing and having a job.

/thread
>>
>>7893420
>Implying that you will be hired as actuarial assistance by anyone

Your ass is leaking
>>
>>7893436
Fuck you
>>
>>7894250
Case in point. Thanks.
>>
>>7892981
Where are you from and have you interned? Also what History of work do you have?

I'm doing Chem in Australia, work two jobs and have had three internships. I've worked in Construction and health care, just wanna know what I'll need to get a job at least two years out of Uni
>>
>>7892993
Please help me.
I am about to graduate with a math degree. How can I get a job? I am desperate.
>>
>>7892981
Shitty people exist anywhere you go.. You can't point at a large group of shitty people and say their field has no promise.

My advice is try to start a startup freshman year. Through failure, or struggle... You'll realize what people are like when you work with them. You'll also be able to spot the people who give a shit about what they're doing. You'll find flaky people, intelligent people that are hard to communicate with and will get a general feel of how people make money.

Apply your "Superior Reasoning and Analytical Skills" and develop a business model that provides value to people.
Not just what is cool and interesting.

But understand what businesses need from a B2B math centered startup.

For me it was a telematics analysis software company that I started with some friends I met at a summer research program. We've horizontally integrated with a sizable auto insurance providers to offer analysis of telematics information collected through and OBD II dongle and are generating "scores" for each driver.
>>
>>7896539
You did all this as a freshman? As an undergraduate?
>>
>>7893031
>mfw in my country learning a trade is the norm
>every other kid goes to college to study child development instead of doing something useful in Sixth-form
>they complain about lack of opportunity
>tfw STEM is dying because the majority of youth here would rather party and do GCSE/A-Level PE
>>
>>7896513
Be an actuary or work in finance
>>
>>7896513
It's all about finance, you don't need an accountancy degree to become an accountant anon. With a Math degree many companies/firms will consider you for many positions as it shows your intelligence and work ethic.
>>
>>7893025
No employer actually cares if you have a minor in physics, holy shit. Not even that guy but you are a mouth breathing mongoloid. It is in the same tier as a math minor for engineers; who gives a fucking rat's ass.
>>
>>7893500
> but that's false. an engineer for example couldn't make a fusion reactor or quantum computer, both of which play a significant role in gauging ones intelligence.

>Terrible grammar
>Quatum computer
>dubs
>>
>>7893500
>an engineer for example couldn't make a fusion reactor
but they are made by engineers you mug
>>
>>7898165
Of course they care if its related to the job, which is always you fucking turd. Why pick him over someone who doesnt have one? you are so stupid lol.
>>
>>7898173
They arent
>>
Wrong.
>study physics
lol no job

>study engineering/physics
lol no intelligence
>>
>>7899052
T. Mcondalds cook
>>
>>7893036
This & I usually get taxed six figures.
>>
>About to graduate with BS in math and minor in physics
>Tons of programming and research experience
>Applied for over 40 jobs in software, research, finance etc.
>Been rejected from nearly every one
I'm starting to consider blowing my brains out
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.