[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Russians are going to land a rover on Venus launched in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

File: Venus-real_color.jpg (15KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
Venus-real_color.jpg
15KB, 480x480px
The Russians are going to land a rover on Venus launched in 2025. It can drive for up to an hour as opposed to the last ones in the 60's that imploded after a few minutes. We are finally going to have HD panoramic pictures of the surface of Venus.
http://venera-d.cosmos.ru/index.php?id=658&L=2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venera-D

Do you think that there was ever intelligent life on Venus? What if we find ruins of an ancient city?
>>
Slightly less tinfoil do you believe that there's life in the clouds? The conditions there are near identical to Earth.
http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common/printfriendly.pl?/news/scitech/2002/09/item20020926135029_1.htm
>>
File: venus_soviet.jpg (62KB, 998x500px) Image search: [Google]
venus_soviet.jpg
62KB, 998x500px
>>7869773

Venus is a pretty hostile environment, and it's unlikely that life, even bacteria would be able to survive there long enough to make their mark. Pics are from the Soviet's Venus probe.
>>
>>7869773
The fuck does it say rover there? I don't see a damn thing on that page that says rover
>>7869778
>> near identical to earth
Except for you know the SULFURIC ACID
>>
>>7869796
Details, anon. Details
>>
>>7869785
That's the surface fool, the cloud tops are about as hot as Florida.
>>7869796
>I don't see a damn thing on that page that says rover
Ok lander, whatever.
> SULFURIC ACID
Overhyped, concentration is low.
>>
>>7869785
it used to be pretty nice, nicer than mars ever was
>>
>>7869825
you know we have this highly oxydizing compound in our own atmosphere... OXYGEN. And yet here we are. Let's not even mention the very acidic CO2...
>>
There is no water on Venus. Solar and Cosmic radiation destroyed all the water molecules and blew the hydrogen away.

Some might pop up from a volcano, comet or asteroid strike. Though it won't last long enough or be enough for any sort of life to exist.
>>
>>7869855
Very acidic is a bit much
>>
>>7869796
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Venus
>Despite the harsh conditions on the surface, the atmospheric pressure and temperature at about 50 km to 65 km above the surface of the planet is nearly the same as that of the Earth, making its upper atmosphere the most Earth-like area in the Solar System, even more so than the surface of Mars. Due to the similarity in pressure and temperature and the fact that breathable air (21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen) is a lifting gas on Venus in the same way that helium is a lifting gas on Earth, the upper atmosphere has been proposed as a location for both exploration and colonization
>>
FUCK YEAH

VENUS IS ELDER EARTH

There are definitely going to be ultra ancient ruins from 10mya+
>>
>>7869773
>The Russians are going to land a rover on Venus launched in 2025

Will there even be a Russian economy by 2025?
>>
>>7869773
>ones in the 60's that imploded after a few minutes.

The first successful landing by the Soviets lasted around 20 minutes. All further successful landings by Soviet and American probes lasted around 1-2 hours. Their loss was more due to the batteries running down or the flyby relay moving out of range than damage by the environment.

Sure, the surface of Venus is unpleasant, but it's not that unpleasant.
>>
>>7869785
I wonder what the ground there consists of. Graphite maybe?
>>
>>7870121
RUINED CITIES NIGGER
ALIEN ARCHAEOLOGY IS HAPPENING 2025
I JUST KNOW THERE IS SHIT ON VENUS, IT WAS TOO MUCH LIKE EARTH IN THE PAST
>>
>>7869773
Pipe Dream. Roscosmos doesn't have the money to do it alone, and nobody else is interested in a Venus lander. Not to mention that Russia hasn't had a successful interplanetary mission in over 20 years.
>>
>>7870314
Yeah like NASA is doing any better, who sends your astronauts into space? Suck a dick americuck
>>
>>7870318
They can only do it because NASA pays for a good chunk of the launch cost. At any rate the current reliance will be over soon, CST-100 and Dragon 2 will be entering service within the next few years.
>>
>>7870318
Eat shit, vatnik. Americans have been flying aboard Soyuz for crew transit long before the shuttle was retired. We don't need the shuttle anymore because ISS construction was completed, not because we're falling back to Russia. And as another anon said, that will be coming to an end soon with CST-100 and Dragon V2 anyway.
Talk shit when you've sent a spacecraft to every planet, landed 6 times on Mars, launched and operated Hubble, constructed over two thirds of the ISS, and are building the most powerful rocket ever made.
>>
>>7869778
According to NASA's Eyes app, Earth and Venus have a similar size but that's where the similarities stop.
>>
They are also both terrestrial planets with atmospheres that have had human spacecraft on them and photographs taken on them, and which happen to orbit the same star and, unlike other planets, have almost no natural satellites between the two of them (that one really big one notwithstanding), so on the contrary the similarities rattle on for a bit.
>>
>>7870477
I guess NASA isn't autistic enough to include that information in their app.
>>
>>7869773
>What if we find ruins of an ancient city?

I'll shit myself.
>>
>>7870431

I love how this post doesn't even need or bother to mention:

-those twelve human beings who set foot on the moon (altogether, the one and only such historical moment), left copious physical evidence which will sit there securely until such time as new missions can categorically put the hoaxers to bed, and who returned safely to the earth,

-how, in association with the above, the furthest distance that human beings have ever traveled from the earth are those above,

-how the first and only human deaths in outer space proper were Soviets.
>>
>>7870503
>how the first and only human deaths in outer space proper were Soviets.
Thats a pretty silly comparison, given that launch and re-entry are the dangerous parts of a mission.
>>
>>7870000
isn't it possible for life to exist in some way completely different than what we expect? i.e. without water or hydrogen

nice quads
>>
>>7870121
The ground is shit and the air is piss are you blind?
>>
If you're looking for ayy lmaos, looking for ancient ruins on any one planet is stupid.

You're better off sending some kind of relay that can detect abnormal EMR a la SETI out of this solar system, imo.

But the Russians are not looking for ayys so...
>>
>>7870477
>have almost no natural satellites between the two of them (that one really big one notwithstanding)
That's a pretty significant difference. The Moon is probably one of the largest differences between the two planets.
>>
>>7870584

This is true but my point was to differentiate small-satellite-systemed inner planets from the gas giants, whose bigger and much richer social lives are ringed by main bitches, side bitches, ring systems composed of millions of fans, tsundere trojans, and all manner of beta orbiters.

The earth and the moon have been in a loving marriage for aeons (They wrote Pluto, Charon and their kids recently), while Venus is strangely forever alone. They both have humdrum social lives in comparison to those rock-star Airheads.
>>
>>7870503
with the exception of the N1 vs Saturn V Russian rockets have consistently been better. More reliable, higher power to weight ratio until the Merlin. And with the exception of the moon landings Americans have consistently trailed behind. First satellite in space, Russians. First man and woman in space, Russians, First orbit of another planet, Russians, First landing on another planet, Russians. First space station, Russians. US space program would have been forgotten about had it not been for the moon landings which was practically done by the Germans anyway.
>>
>>7870811
Its extra weird because Venus is the girl planet therefore should have many beta orbiters. Perhaps Venus only has eyes for Earth which is why she tries to copy him and shines so brightly at him.
>>
>>7870973

That's all cool and it's a typical buttmad Euro argument. The moon landings and planetary tours really do literally trump all that however, being a superior praxis. The deaths I've already mentioned are a major black eye on the meme station as well.

IMO the best things the Russians have done were the first spaceflight (admittedly), and the original Venera probes, which I don't just mention due to the OP: They captured my imagination as a kid, putting those things down on high-pressure venus. However it bears mentioning that they literally just kept flinging shit at Venus until it actually worked. Quantity has a quality all its own, it seems.
>>
>>7870973
>moon landings which was practically done by the Germans anyway
Thats about as right as me saying the R-7 was just a scaled up A-4
>>
>>7870110
Is there one now?
>>
>>7870503
>-those twelve human beings who set foot on the moon (altogether, the one and only such historical moment), left copious physical evidence which will sit there securely until such time as new missions can categorically put the hoaxers to bed, and who returned safely to the earth,
I think you might need to lover your standards to the hoaxers-part. Ever tried arguing with one? No matter how much info you give them, they will keep pushing the "false false, i know the truuuuth"-line.
Most discussions with those people tend to go like this:
>"The moon landing was a hoax. Nothing can land on it, its all dust"
>Tell them about all the pictures, telemetry, film, radio transmissions and so on
>"Ofc the US/NASA/Lizard People's Worker Union would falsify those, too keep us as their sheeple"
>Tell them that it was confirmed by the Soviets and several other countries, even those hostile to the US and with all to gain from exposing any hoax (PR coup of the century, anyone?)"
>"But all of those things could have landed there by them self, without people"
>Point out that there is a reason most space-probes of those days went to shit, and that landing a robot there to do all the things the astronauts did would be more technologically difficult than landing men in itself, not to mention somehow keeping it all in the dark to the 600 000 people working on the Apollo program. Also, LRO-pictures showing the parths made by the astronauts walking on the moon
>"LRO is NASA, ofc they will fake the images!!!"
>Pointing out that literally every country with a space industry somehow has to be in on the hoax for it to work, as most of them could easily spot faults in data/send probes there to see for them self(China confirmed the sites)
At some point they start talking about how rockets cant work in a vacuum and that the earth is flat. And they will keep this idea even after you push them out the airlock of the ISS.
>>
>>7871243
>Deaths
What is Apollo 1? What is Challenger? What is Columbia?
> they literally just kept flinging shit at Venus until it actually worked. Quantity has a quality all its own, it seems
That's because Venus is easily the hardest terrestrial planet to land on. Did the burger eaters even try? No.
>>
>>7870284
Let's say that there is. Do you think the Russians are going to tell the world? The Russians?
>>
>>7871771
Of course. Much prestige and glory for Russia. They will use the fact that they found it first to stake a claim to Venus and capture whatever technology is buried there. Meanwhile the Americans will stay on Earth crying because they can't even get into space anymore.
>>
>>7870975
Looks to me Earth is getting a sex change from all the pollution that's happening.
>>
>>7871774
Or the Americans and their buddies invade Russia out of jealousy and the world ends before you get your hands on some of that sweet tech.
>>
>>7870543
Life is understood to be able to exist as silicon based instead of carbon based. That being said life still needs basic molecules like hydrogen and oxygen to form.
>>
I don't understand why it's so hard to make something heat proof. Weight restrictions? Just put like 500 layers of asbestos
>>
>>7870087
>breathable air (21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen) is a lifting gas on Venus in the same way that helium is a lifting gas on Earth

can you guys elaborate a little on this?
>>
>>7871831
I think it's because most of the atmosphere is made up of sulfur, which is much heavier than oxygen or nitrogen, therefore making it buoyant.
>>
>>7870503
-how the first and only human deaths in outer space proper were Soviets.

you are just setting stupid criteria to exclude all the shuttle deaths.
>>
>>7870973
Are we doing first in space wanking?
Here's an incomplete list for NASA:
First Orbital Maneuvers
First Orbital Rendezvous (Adjacent Orbit's don't count for shit)
First Docking
First demonstrations of useful EVA work (Not to hate on Leonov, but all he did was almost die)
First satellite recovered from orbit
First planetary imaging
First orbiters for Mars, Saturn Jupiter and Mercury and an asteroid
First to reach solar escape velocity
First flybys of Mercury, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune, Uranus, Pluto and, an asteroid
Closest approach to the Sun
First mission to orbit multiple objects other than earth and moon
First sample return from beyond the moon

The only real place Russia has consistently been ahead is with Space Stations.
>>
>>7871806
silicon based life form is a meme. silicon doesn't form anywhere close to the number of complex molecules as carbon.
>>
File: slider-1b.jpg (166KB, 1100x500px) Image search: [Google]
slider-1b.jpg
166KB, 1100x500px
>>7869773
Wrong move... mankind should be putting all its efforts into Mercury, as insane as it sounds...

* The temperature on Mercury's poles is consistently -73° C.
* There is almost certainly ice water there
* The soil composition is similar to Earth and would support underground plant growth
* Mercury, unlike Mars or Europa, has a magnetic field and is shielded from radiation.
* The potential for solar power is enormous, colonies there could be self-sustaining from day one.
* Gravity is higher than on the Moon, and about the same as Mars.

The only drawback of Mercury is that you'd be restricted to the poles, most of the colonies would have to be underground and getting there is a challenge.

But colonizing Mercury is 100% doable with modern technology unlike all the Venus, Mars and Moon talk which are unrealistic pipe dreams that would require large scale discoveries in terraforming.

You could have a self-sustaining underground colony in Mercury, with an Earth-like biome, climate and atmosphere inside domes and tunnels, all within a generation.
>>
>>7871900
For what purpose
>>
>>7871944
Human survival, a backup of our species in case Earth suffers a major catastrophe.

Also research, exploration, mining of resources, etc.
>>
>>7871888
But basic life can be silicon based. I'm not talking sentient silicon here but instead prokaryotic type organisms.
>>
>>7871982
nice hypothesis, where is the evidence?
>>
>>7871958
Sorry but no.

Hiding under dirt isn't sustainable, with almost nothing to gain in terms of exploration and prolonging the lifespan of our species.
>>
>>7871781
>America invading Russia
You can dream but Russian nuclear weapons laugh at you.
>>
>>7871871
>Died before you even made it to space
>This is somehow better than dying in space
>>
>>7872031
We will see if you still believe that when the nukes/asteroids start falling.
>>
>>7871339
No and there never was.
>>
>>7871900
But there's no oxygen Venus at least have some oxygen
>>
>>7872120
At least the Russian economy isn't owned by the Chinese.
>>
>>7872125
You can make oxygen as long as you have water and enough electricity.
>>
>>7872086
I'd say going out in a fiery explosion is much cooler than asphyxiating because a shitty valve broke.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.