[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>4th dimension is time >4th dimension cube is actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 3

File: 1449093829871.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1449093829871.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>4th dimension is time
>4th dimension cube is actually spatial

So which one is it?
>>
>i don't know what a dimension is
>>
>>7865813
There are only spatial dimensions.
Time is only an illusion you retard, lrn2physics
>>
>>7865818
>i have no clue what a dimension is
>>
>>7865830
>he still thinks time is an actual dimension
oh buddy
>>
>>7865818
ever studied special or general relativity anon?
>>
>>7865835
I'm a graduate yes.
Getting ready for a PhD.
>>
>>7865811
Space has 3 dimensions
Time has 1 Dimension
Space-Time together has 4 (3 spacial+1 temporal) dimensions
>>
>>7865847
>time has 1 dimension
Literally false.
>>
>>7865852
Can you prove it?
>>
>>7865853
>can you prove it
AHHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Literally every dimension related book,article, fucking yt video actually says it.

You gonna ask proof from me about GR too?
Literally what are you even doing on this board?
>>
>>7865842
enjoy your anthropology phd
>>
>>7865835
If your a graduate then can you explain how SR works without time?

>For a graduate you sure don't back up or support what you say.
>>
>>7865857
Can you link a proof then?
Literally every dimension related book, article anything says that there MAY BE multiple dimensional time. Not 'literally'
>>
>>7865863
That's not how greentext works.
I hate this influx from reddit and normies.
>>
>>7865853
Yeah this is basic common knowledge dude, next your going to be telling us that God lives in some outside dimension or some BS.
>>
>>7865866
Ok can you link me to a proof that you're not living in the matrix? No?
Then I guess there's no point since if you don't have proof there's no need for further talk.
>>
>>7865868
Boy, great job explaining SR without the concept of time!

>Fucking Ad Hominems
>>
>post gibberish bullshit
>collect 200 replies
>>
>>7865874
Kek
>>
>>7865873
OH MY GOD STOP MISUSING GREENTEXT
>>
>>7865874
>>7865878
I really hope this is samefag, if it isn't then /sci/ is getting dumber by the day.
>>
>>7865872
I didn't said that we don't live in the matrix. We could live there, it's a possibility.
You said that time literally has more than one dimension. Giving for a fact that 1-dimensional time doesn't exists.

The thing is, it could still be one-dimensional.
>>
>>7865879
>Triggered

>This is easier than feminists
>>
>>7865896
At least you used greentext corretly this time.
>>
>>7865885
>Assuming Keking correlates with intelligence

With you here, it sure isn't getting any less uptight.
>>
>>7865901
Then /sci/ is really turning into a shithole.
>b-but kek does-

Nigga that post the ceke replied is the standard reply to any bait thread and it is posted a quadrillion times on this site each day, to actually actively find it amusing shows either you're new or you're dumb.

Which means dumb for both because if you're a newfag you're a dumb shit.
>>
>>7865868
>I hate this influx from reddit
>>>/pol/
>>
How many dimensions are there?
>>
>>7865879
>What will you do about it you incompetent /pol/ bastard
>It is just a different colour
>I prefer green because I'm a special uraniumkin neutronsexual
>>
>>7865912
TRIKKERED
>>
>>7865863
Time doesn't exist like electricity does, it's just an perceived illusion - more like a property of space itself.

For us observers time is the change of positions, evolution of matter in space.

There's no time to measure time inside universe - from outside.
>>
>>7865908
If you show me where left is we can start counting from 1.

Dimensions are mental constructs nothing more.
>>
>>7865905
>He says while ironically posting "nigga"

By that logic, the word "the" gets said millions of times per day, so everyone must be dumb.

HURR DURR, I know words are hard, but that doesn't excuse you from logic, and rage posting.
>>
>>7865918
Are you saying dimensions are pseudoscience?
>>
>>7865811
If time is timeless then it stretches on infinitely. If time is non-linear, like we know it is because of relativistic time dilation, then Euclidean dimension is insufficient to describe time. Both are abstractions, so neither is "the one true fourth dimension."
>>
>>7865922
I think he is saying dimensions are pseudoscience.
>>
>>7865921
Jesus you're stupid.
You can't even draw analogies or examples.
If everyone laughed at "the" then it would be a problem.
But no one really does, down the toilet your reasoning goes.
>>
>>7865922
No they're concepts in mathematics but they're not fundamental aspects of reality.

All dimensions are already contained in the universe, there are no second worlds of dimensions - that is pseudo-science.
>>
>>7865923
>time dilation
>lorentz transformations
>nonlinear
>>
>>7865811
One statement is about physical spacetime.
The other is about an imaginary mathematical space.
>>
>>7865926
>>7865918
If dimensions are pseudoscience then why all of science and life and everything we experience are happening in at least 3 spatial and 1 time dimension that we acknowledge and actively think about them and use them to make sense of the world and make experiments.

Science itself is based on the axiom of dimensions.
You should go back to your social construct lecture.
>>
>>7865940
Let me tell you straight - your case is like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwr6_015ROo
>>
>>7865940
oh the irony.
Try telling to any scientist that the time and space in their calculations about ANY scientific experiment conducted EVER in the history of mankind is an illusion and that we're all dumb confusing feathers and steel weight while you're the one with the proper understanding of reality.
>>
>>7865930
No one laughs at or expects laughs from a kek, its what you say when you show someone you laughed. Shit, next you'll be screaming at someone for breathing because everyone does it. On a related note, you should quit breathing so the average IQ can shoot up a few points.
>>
>>7865953
How can you be this stupid?
>>
>>7865930
Just fuck off, retard. Humor is contextual and you have no idea what drove the guy to post "kek." It doesn't have to be the first fucking time you've seen something for something to be funny. You throwing a fit over this is fucking retarded and honestly very aspergers
>>
>>7865912
I'll get my hacker friend 4chan to hack your computer. He'll go on the deep web and write binary.
>>
>>7865952

There are no solid - specified dimensions to tell apart...

Sure in mathematics we tell them apart - but in real universe you cannot tell apart any of the dimensions.
All dimensions simply exist and you can't tell them one apart from the other.
>>
The number of dimensions of space means the number of parameters one needs to know to know the position of a point in a space. In mathematics, one can have spaces with as many dimensions as one wants, but in physics we look at a special case of our Universe's space, which happens to be three-dimensional. As one needs only one parameter to locate a thing's position in time, time is one-dimensional.

In relativity it turns out that space and time are dynamic and the state of both depends on matter, so instead of using separate diagrams of how a thing moves in 3D space and how it moves in 1D time, it's often helpful to use a simpler model, where a thing moves along 4 axes - in a 4D spacetime.
>>
>>7865956
Lol, multiple people in this thread don't like you.

Use that as a reality check, kid and go answer some science fiction questions, they're probably the only ones you can answer.
>>
>>7865953
I read your messages and his, I don't think you're stupid, just on the autistic spectrum.

I think what this >>7865885 meant is that this reply:
>post gibberish bullshit
>collect 200 replies

Is a standard reply to controversial looking threads that draws the attention of posters and if you're more than couple of days on this site, you wouldn't actively reply to show your amusement because it's really something trivial, a variant of an overly used reply that isn't even a joke, just a semi-humorous reply, created to induce a mild smirk for the first couple of times you see it.
The person who replied with "kek" must really new here, as in 1 or 2 day tops on this site.
If he's been longer than that in here and actively posts his amusement then the part(s) of the brain that is associated with humor is messed up in his brain or as I said, having autism might produce some weird reactions.
Perhaps you're both, not something to be ashamed of.

The reason I think you're on the autistic spectrum is that you failed to understand what he thought, you have a weak theory of mind which tends to be an issue with you people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind

There are people who have significantly outgrew their autistic issues by therapy, best of luck friends hope you get well soon.
>>
>>7865971
If you think I'm OP then you're horribly mistaken.
Also using hivemind and group mentality as proof of your argument shows how much of a sheep brained animal you are.

A four legged creature pretending to be sophisticated.
>>
>>7865917
You mean it's subjective?

Hate to burst your bubble but ever since that guy wrote that book on Specially Relatives we've kinda known that.

And the second half of your posts claims that time exists as a property of space-time. So it does exist.
>>
>>7865917
I smiled by your naivety.
Welcome to Einstein 101.
>>
>>7865982
As you must be a flat-earther then, because it's commonly accepted that the earth is round, and it's commonly accepted that you are a moron.

Nice try on the insults though, you sound like someone from /b/ trying to impersonate someone from /sci/.

Also I didn't think you we're OP just thought you were as dumb as OP kek.
>>
>>7865996
Glad you indirectly gave up.
Since you now know that reply wasn't funny but you still laughed shows how stupid you are.
>b-but humor is subjective
Yes it is, laughing at fart jokes is subjectively funny, to stupid people.
>>
>>7865811
>4th dimension is time
it's called time domain
>>
>>7865811
Time being the 4th dimension just a meme.
>>
>>7866003
>Indirectly gave up
Now I know you have aspergers kek.
Only someone so socially devoid would pull such bullshit, "OH! I'll claim he has given up then everyone reading will think that I am the winner of this argument despite there being no evidence that he gave up" kek.

Yeah, you must be a "social engineer" to think that anyone would fall for that shit kek.

Your argument has basically devolved from "You're too dumb for this board" to "You're jokes aren't funny, I don't like them" kek.

I only wonder how farther your platform can sink.
>>
>>7866030
You're right, I take it all back, I was wrong.
I apologize for saying bad things to you.
I tried too hard to fit in and act like I was cool that I lost control of myself and acted like a brute.

To be honest, looking back at my comments I'm disappointed in me, I don't even know why I wrote those things.
I'm sorry.
>>
>>7865873
I can see how you could still have SR with time as an illusion. You could say its just a consequence of our perception and the light speed limit on information.

GR though I don't see how it can be unless time exists as a real literal thing.
>>
Each dimension is linear on its own, they create the "dimensional effect" only when they are combined with other dimensions.
Which means each dimension can only go "back or forth", it's binary, it has two ways.

1 Spacial Dimension: A line, it goes one way or the other
2 Spacial Dimension: A line, it goes one way or the other, when superimposed to Dimension 1 it creates the extra axis.
3 Spacial Dimension: A line, it goes one way or the other, when superimposed with D1 and D2 it has the extra feature of depth.

Where I'm getting at is that each dimension on its own is truly a binary system, the extra features appear only when you add the dimensions.

1 Time Dimension: A line, it goes one way or the other, (time as we know it, we understand it as past and future, an arrow of time)
2 Time Dimension: A line, it goes one way or the other, when combined with 1Time Dimension it means, it represents the totality of possible timelines.

Lets project this to spatial dimensions to understand it better, understanding time in spatial terms goes like this:
Lets say Dimension Time 1 (the classical understanding) is the X axis, goes left and right (past and future)
And Y axis is again again just time but because -like spatial dimensions - when added to the previous dimension it creates and extra depth.
That is, in the universe the X axis represented all time, while X and Y axis combined represent all possible timelines.
>>
>>7865857
>>7865872
>>7865870
Could you just stop being a dick and help the guy out?

"Atemporal dimensionis a dimension of time. Time is often referred to as the "fourth dimension" for this reason, but that is not to imply that it is a spatial dimension."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimension

Spatial dimensions are different than the temporal dimension.

So hard?
>>
If we consider the 4D object that's traced by a 3D object across an interval of time, is time actually one of the dimensions of the object or rather just a measure of the object's extension on the 4th axis?
>>
>>7866053
Is it possible for an object to move through space without moving through time? No, clearly.

Is it possible for an object to move through time without moving through space? Only if there is only a single object in space. Two objects means there are forces between them, and each object will appear to be moving towards the other object.
>>
>>7866040
Now I feel like shit.

>>7866050
I'll have to refresh on my GR to talk about that one.
>>
>>7866071
We have two forces in this thread, those that believe time is a spatial dimension, and those that believe it's a temporal one.
>>
>>7866140
And "time is an illusion" fags who think they're profound
>>
>>7866089
>Is it possible for an object to move through space without moving through time?
Yes, if it travels at the speed of light.
>>
>>7865811

only retards and the stupid "I fucking LOVE science XD" memers think time is the fourth dimension
>>
>>7866071
>m
>>
>>7866424
>I'm an ignorant pleb but let me put down enthusiasts who I mistakenly think are even more ignorant
the worst
>>
>>7865811
time obviously resides in magical clocks in the 4.5 dimension
>>
>>7866463
pleb memer detected, you just want the emotions and feel good sensation it produces, while wanting to humblebrag about being superior to other plebs.

The 4th dimension is a part of euclidean space, it has nothing to do with the time aspect of timespace, it was inferred that it could be at it's conception, but for the last 100 years the maths has gone in a completely different direction proving it to not be so.

inb4 samefag
>>
>>7866078
Pls anser
>>
>implying clocks measure time

literal retards on this board
>>
>>7866624
So why exactly do you shit on "pleb memers" when it's obvious you don't know anything more than them? Isn't that just your own way of feeling better about yourself? At least their way encourages them to try to learn things; your way just turns you into a lonely, bitter autist.
>>
>>7867169

Except they learn nothing. Pop science gives people an elementary understanding of complex topics they can't hope to learn from a facebook post or meme picture. Then they try to explain it when they never understood in the first place and a cascade effect occurs of misinformation.

Then we end up with retards commenting on general relativity after having read a reddit post and convincing themselves they understood it, which is what half of /sci/ is anyways.

And we end up with people who think time is the fourth dimension.
>>
>>7868519
I see you speak from experience!
>>
>>7868536

Good rebuttal.
>>
>>7868539
You do exactly what you accuse others of doing.
>>
>>7868541

Still waiting on that counterargument.
>>
>>7868541
Worse even.
Typical statement from people who rage about "pop science":

>Fourth dimension time? Fuck off pop science fag!
>Entanglement weirdness? Fuck off pop science fag! That works exactly like two people having different colored marbles!
>Bernoulli's Principle? Fuck off pop science fag! That has nothing to do with lift!
>>
>>7868555
>>7868541

This is what pop science will give us if we continue down this road. End it now.
>>
>>7868560
Explain to me why you feel the need to comment on things you have no understanding of other than a mistaken impression they are "pop science" and therefore wrong because you saw someone talking about it on Reddit.
>>
>>7868566

>implying I'm commenting on things I have no understanding of
>>
Arguing on /pol/ in a nutshell

>your opinion
HAHAHA SO STUPID LOOK AT THIS GUY I'M LAUGHING REALLY HARD
>>
>>7868570
/sci/*
the entirety of 4chan actually*
>>
>>7868568
Then explain what you think is wrong with "4th dimension is time" when used in the correct context (SR or GR) other than the pedantic correction that the dimensions have no particular order.
>>
if this is true, that 4th dimension is time, in order to time travel, we'd have to be at the 5th dimension.
>>
>>7865931
Describe rotation of an object in reality without using an axis then.
>>
T I M E

I

M

E

C U B E

U

B

E
>>
File: latcarf.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
latcarf.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>7870034

woah
>>
we can do math in and with the time dimension

time isn't a direction. that's like it.
>>
>>7866167
But that is the way it is. There is only the now. Time is just some mathematical crutch to get an idea of how fast things change from one state to another.
>>
>>7870077
Explain GR with illusionary time

If time doesn't exist why does gravity slow time?
>>
>>7870090
he just did
>>
>>7865917
>time is an illusion
>b-b-but time is a property of space itself
>but it doesn't exist
>except it does exist
Keep trying homeboy
>>
>>7870164
No he didn't. Not even remotely. He didn't even start to.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.