[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some advances/technologies we could gain from the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 13

File: fungal biolumination.jpg (18KB, 450x193px) Image search: [Google]
fungal biolumination.jpg
18KB, 450x193px
What are some advances/technologies we could gain from the fungi kingdom?
>>
>>7847528
Are you familiar with the term "living nanotechnology"?

Because that's literally what it is.
>>
File: 1444730163150.jpg (305KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1444730163150.jpg
305KB, 1920x1080px
>>7847563

Go on....

>pic related

no seriously, I'm surprised we don't invest more in the Fungus. Its a living breathing organism that exists everywhere. Capable of bringing beauty and destruction.
>>
>>7847574
MALE TO FEMALE

COPULATION

WOLBACHIAAAAAAA
>>
File: 1443553093473.jpg (302KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1443553093473.jpg
302KB, 1600x1600px
>>7847579
>>
>>7847574
>Go on....
Do you know what makes your neural tissue functionally distinct from the slime mold amoeba?
>>
>>7847625
do you?
>>
>>7847579
Wolbachia is a bacteria, and not a fungus, no?

Also there's a shit load of applications in terms of yeast for recombinant DNA, if that's not the industry standard today. Look up S. cerevisiae
>>
idk but CS has gained a lot from ant colonies
>>
>>7847684
Would you rather I not go on then?
>>
>>7847528

The internet. They use their networks of whatever-its-called to transfer nutrients and info-chemicals.

Decentralised management in general - there is no head to cut off, no liver to stab, no trunk to chop for fungi.

They can turn oil and pollution into usable matter. They are a miracle anon.

Once they hit the mainstream there will be huge development of biotechnologies and biomimicry.
>>
>>7847728
>Once they hit the mainstream there will be huge development of biotechnologies and biomimicry.
That's what concerns me; there won't be. Most of it will be dedicated to evolving fungi, since they already compose a complete apparatus. Rather than merely mimicking nature, it'll be easier to simply use existing nature, but breed it for a specific purpose. It'll work wonders on pollution, but I'm afraid it'll stagnate at that point and we won't have true information control. If we just stick to controlled breeding, we won't really understand the actual chemistry behind it. We'll just assume nature is magic because fungi and the research angle might become irrelevant.
>>
>>7847736
Well, you now know what to commit your life to.
Create the reality you want anon.
Don't let your dreams be dreams.
>>
File: mico_arbusculaire_700.jpg (100KB, 700x339px) Image search: [Google]
mico_arbusculaire_700.jpg
100KB, 700x339px
There are a lot of applications we already use.

- Bio reactors (penicilin, alcohol..)
-bio memetics (networks mainly)
-allowing plants to grow up in desertics regions (pic related)
>>
File: 070-mushroom.png (970KB, 800x1250px) Image search: [Google]
070-mushroom.png
970KB, 800x1250px
Does anyone else feel nervous about fungi?
They're neither an animal nor a plant.
>>
File: glCjL.jpg (131KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
glCjL.jpg
131KB, 960x720px
>>7847760
Sure
>>
File: 170-foresight.png (307KB, 800x484px) Image search: [Google]
170-foresight.png
307KB, 800x484px
>>7847767
Keep them coming man, nightmarish shit makes me feel better about my current life status
>>
File: cordyceps1.jpg (74KB, 426x640px) Image search: [Google]
cordyceps1.jpg
74KB, 426x640px
>>7847770
Don't worry m9, there are a lot of reasons to think that we could be alone in the galaxy, maybe the universe.
>>
>>7847780
>>7847767
source
>>
Wasn't it recently determined that giant fungi came before trees? Or after trees? One of those ancient periods.
>>
>>7847563
all life is living nanotech you mong
>>
>>7847767
>>7847780
>>7847756

>MFW Fungus is so alien its almost as if it its an entirely separate entity not of our planet.
>>
File: 1453564815-20160123.png (295KB, 684x1345px) Image search: [Google]
1453564815-20160123.png
295KB, 684x1345px
>>7847760
>>7847767
>>
Can you hear me? We're not sure how this message will be interpreted by the dream state your mind is in. You've been in a mycotoxic induced coma for 10 years that was brought on by the xenogenic fungi you encountered at T̝̻̘͖͂̊o̶͇͚̱̱ͨ̈͂̉ͦ ̷͍̱̪̮̫̐͆ͭͪ̌̉̀ͬ͞ḯ̷̬̲̠̜̬̼̣̽́̄ͨ̀̀̚n̷͚̹͇̱̯̲ͦ͞v̵̫̞̥̻ͪ͌ớ̴͓͔ͣ̈͞k̵̛̻͚̖͕̣ͯ͒̈ͥͨͮ͢e̿ͣ̃͋͗̅̈̎. We're experimenting with new a new procedure to reach you and others like you. The dream world is communicative or shared if you prefer. So if you can hear this and understand it please let the others in there with you know we're doing all that we can and we haven't given up on you.
>>
>>7847866

coryceps
>>
>>7849307

Stupid phone

Cordyceps
>>
>>7849162
Why would people in my dream care that you're helping me out of my coma?
>>
A lot of antibacterials.

I think quite a few research chemicals.
>>
Now who was that eccentric fungal prof who wants to save the world with fungi?
He talked about his favourite hat in one presentation. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
>>
>>7849600
to be honest, I've never met anyone working with fungi that's not at least a lil bit crazy.
>>
>>7848520
Aren't we genetically closer to fungi than plants though? So they're less alien to us than trees for example?
>>
>>7850635

Humans don't release spores though?
>>
OP you should consider reading Mycelium Running.

A couple years back I took a lecture from Gary Strobel, and he talked about how he is working on an endophytic fungi that produced diesel hydrocarbons. This means with some bioengineering this fungus can be used to produce diesel from plant waste materials.

He also talked about fungal volatile materials that has shown incredible antibacterial activity. This stuff can be used in place of antibiotics, but obviously more research is needed in this area.
>>
>>7847528

Can't fungus grow in water too?
>>
I have made a list of cool things over the past year:

1. Ravens
2. Jellyfishes
3. Fungi
4. Fusion Technology
5. Cats
6. Ants
7. The Third Reich

Ok, 4 and 7 are actually bait, there is nothing cool involving humans
>>
>>7852064
Fungi basically is antibiotics, retard
It's called penicillin
>>
>>7852423

But can Fungi keep up with fighting super bugs and mega virus?
>>
>>7847528
Biology? This is /sci/.
>>
>>7852650
this man raises a good point

We've taken fungi ability to fight bacteria and weaponized it claiming the discovery for ourselves only we didn't make the weapon. The fungi did all the work. Now that bacteria are adapting and turning into super bacteria we're unable to create a new weapon to combat them. Maybe instead of trying to recreate what we didn't create in the first place we should put fungi to work and encourage them to create super fungi. Bacteria and fungi have a shorter lifespan than us, and if you pardon the meme word, are able to evolve faster. Why not just get them to breed really fast, give them a bacterial invader to adapt to, and see what happens.
>>
>>7852423
antibiotics are enzymes, I was talking about volatile oils.

>>7852841
there are such studies where they basically mutate organisms with mutajens and look for new compounds, but doing this for antibitoics would require someone to be researching about new antibiotics in the first place. because antibiotic compounds are not very profitable, not many people are looking into new antibiotics now.
>>
>>7852841
>shorter lifespan
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-largest-organism-is-fungus/
more like immortal
>>
>>7847922
No it's not. Fungi and some trace bacteria are the only livings organisms that metabolically process a wide range of chemicals. Everything else just feeds on decay or sunlight.
>>
>>7847770
My general solution is to always err on the side of natural disasters.
>>
>>7852927
There are no pics to explain how smug I am in this very moment.
>>
File: Sauteed+mushrooms+and+sage[1].jpg (297KB, 1334x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Sauteed+mushrooms+and+sage[1].jpg
297KB, 1334x1000px
tasty food
>>
>>7852988
This. Fungi are used in environmental remediation cause they "eat" all sorts of nasty toxic shit, leaving behind a cleaner environment (provided you remove the fungi obviously).
>>
>>7853031
Thank you faggot, now I'm hungry and it's in the middle of the night.
Well, I'm underweight, so who cares after all..
>>
>>7853052
This is basically the plot to Nausicaa. Are you telling me that movie wasn't just a protect the environment PSA? The science is real?! Are you saying killing mankind with deadly fungi that consume toxic waste is a practical solution to land restoration?
>>
>>7852988
every heterotroph feeds on decay. metabolizing shit equals decay. decay is just bacteria metabolising stuff.

>>7853052
partially true, some fungi metabolise petroleum products like diesel and such, and some fungi accumulate heavy metals, allowing you to remove the metal contamination with the fungi. however, the current method of heavy metal contamination removal is through plants. I've heard sunflowers being used widely.

>>7853096
for many of the nasty toxic chemicals the current leading way of bioremediation includes bacteria.
>>
>>7853096
>Are you saying killing mankind with deadly fungi that consume toxic waste is a practical solution to land restoration?
Absolutely not. You'd need an entirely different type of fungus for that. Toxic waste doesn't have quite the same composition as the human body.
>>
>>7853126
>metabolizing shit equals decay.
Only when you're metabolizing organic components. When you're literally feeding on the minerals in a rock, it's not a form of decay. It'd be erosion, if that.
>>
>>7853136
erosion is physical, metabolisation implies a chemical reaction. so, no.
>>
>>7853130
In the movie it wasn't the fungi killing people directly, but the toxins saturated in the fungi. Fungi grown from clean water and soil proved to be non-toxic.
>>
>>7853236

I never understood that underground water part
>>
File: TacoBell.jpg (87KB, 640x525px) Image search: [Google]
TacoBell.jpg
87KB, 640x525px
>>7851868
>Humans don't release spores though?
I do, only after eating Taco Bell.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.