[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If he's so smart (6 degrees from MIT and 1 from Harvard),

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

File: Salman_Khan_TED_2011.jpg (295KB, 1920x2359px) Image search: [Google]
Salman_Khan_TED_2011.jpg
295KB, 1920x2359px
If he's so smart (6 degrees from MIT and 1 from Harvard), why does he make simple baby mistakes all the time in videos?
>>
High IQ is highly correlated with autism.
>>
>>7840890

>7 degrees

WTF?
>>
>>7840897

If I can recall correctly...

Undergrad and masters in comp sci
Undergrad and masters in mathematics
Undergrad and masters in ele eng

And an MBA from Harvard
>>
>>7840897
>7 Degrees
>Lands job as teacher

Is it really that hard to find a job in STEM?
>>
Yeah Opie if you can manage to remember all of that information after god knows how many years while managing a business I'd be impressed.

ANALYSIS SECTION WHEN?
>>
>>7840890
because expecting anybody to recall every last detail is absurd
>>
>>7840890
>>7840897
>>7840900

According to http://tech.mit.edu/V131/N57/khan.html he had three degrees at undergrad, then two masters, and finally an MBA. So that's six in total.

>>7840905
He worked as a "hedge fund analyst" before quitting.
>>
>>7840900
That's so fucking retarded and pointless. He's just taking up younger students' spots in the programmes for his own ego.

He could've done PhD research in any of those directly after his first degree. There's no need to keep getting degrees in the baby concepts of a field when you're already recognised as being competant enough to obtian it.
>>
>>7840905

Lol. He worked in a hedge fund before starting khan academy, which is now a huge company. I think his first degree was mathematics and he took the othersame (excluding the MBA) to be more capable of teaching other subjects.
>>
>>7840927

He did it to be able to teach better.
>>
>>7840910

Even a supreme genius, like the typical /sci/ poster?
>>
>>ITT people who don't know what a PhD actually signifies or how it can be granted
>>
>>7840947
It means youre a smart asshole who spent too long researching some bullshit about your field.
>>
>>7840937
Yep
>>
>>7840954

Wtf is that? You expect me to read that on my phone nigguh?
>>
>>7840952
Also implies you are a rigorous, objetive thinker and autistic.
>>
>>7840947
I'm the only one that mentions PhD ITT qoute me directly faggot, and I know you can generally get into any STEM programme if you have a SEM bachelors.

My point is it's actually something productive to do a PhD (which involves a lot of self study and remedial coursework). You can study undergrad and masters coursework on your own, you don't need extra baby qualifications unless you're an egotistical faggot who's trying to impress plebs.
>>
>>7840890
because american schools are shit.
>>
File: 1454782141963.png (43KB, 195x179px) Image search: [Google]
1454782141963.png
43KB, 195x179px
>>7841143

>MIT is shit

K
>>
>>7840934
Instead of actually, you know, taking courses on how to teach?
>>
>>7841164

What courses other than a ele eng course will teach you ele eng?
>>
>>7840925
> Bachelor's + Master's in Course 6 (2)
> Bachelor's in Course 18 (1)
> MBA from Harvard (1)
> 2 + 1 + 1 = 7 Degrees
>>
There's a guy in Michigan with 29 degrees, the most in history, and another guy in Michigan with the second most in history which is 14 I think. They're both still getting degrees.
>>
>>7841234
What the fuck did they hit the financial lottery on inheritance or something or do places just keep dolling out scholarships to them? Or do they keep doing different PhDs and somehow keep getting funded?
>>
>>7841164
It's about time we stop posting.
>>
>>7841157
>he thinks MIT education is worth anything
get a load of this guy.
An MIT graduate wouldn't even be able to do second or third year math a french engineer does.
>>
>>7842720
>I guess that's the reason French doesn't have any Uni in top100
>>
>>7841164
I hope you're just a shitposter and not really a condescending kid who's achieved nothing and thinks they have everything figured out.
>>
>>7840890
It's funny, the smartest lecturers I've had always make the most simple mistakes. That seems to hold true with smart people in general. They get so caught up in the big picture that they forget little details.
>>
>>7842720

Which French university is world renowned and ranked top 10 every year?
>>
>>7842781
I've wondered about this. What happened? Didn't they used to have the best colleges in the world in the 19th Century?
>>
>>7841265
Some people try and have a better life for themselves, while some people just want to burn every available scholarship fund.
>>
>>7842801
If i recall correctly, they use to have the best research facilities until someone debunked the 'world is flat' theory.
>>
>>7842811
>debunked the 'world is flat' theory.

Tell that to the flat earthers
>>
>>7841164
>>7840927
You're correct.

Those other shitheads sound typically american.

But in europe, every fucking university teacher will tell you to better invest you time in a PhD or working instead of getting a bazillion degrees.
>>
>>7842831

Getting a Phd would be pointless for him. Undergrad and Masters provides a high base of knowledge from which to make Khan Academy videos.
>>
>>7842801
>>7842781
>>7842722
Doesn't matter. Schools focus on teaching, universities focus on research. Rankings evaluate research, not teaching.
>>
>>7840963
I read it on my phone
The setup to the community made it worth it
>>
>>7841203
I think he's counting bachelors separate from masters
>>
>>7842833
This desu
>>
>>7843237
Rankings evaluate a lot of. Research, both number and citations, teaching, student-professor ratio, faculty, student satisfaction, faculty satisfaction, international outlook, etc.
>>
>>7842831
American here

I believe he didn't actually do those degrees. You can be awarded honorary degrees here by universities or some shit. Same reason why the wonderful dr Ben Carson has like 81 degrees or some shit.

If he did actually take the time to do those degrees then you are right. He should have just done a PhD
>>
>>7843250
Yeah, research.
>>
>>7841157
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19x213y_uk4
>amerilards think this is hard
TOP KEK!
>>
>>7843669

>Hurdur let's link an intro course and claim it's what everyone at MIT does!!!
>>
>>7843237
I agree with you but don't you think the 'prepa' and more generally the concours system is killing the chances of many people to access this education ?
>>
>>7841234
>>7841265
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2012/06/heres_the_list_of_29_degrees_k.html

Here's a list of all 29 degrees Nicholson has earned in the past 49 years:

Bachelor of Religious Education (B.R.E.), William Tyndale College, 1963. Major: General Bible.
Master of Theology (Th.M.), Dallas Theological Seminary, 1967. Major: Systematic Theology.
Master of Arts (M.A.), Eastern Michigan University, 1969. Major: Classroom Teaching.
>>
>>7840900
He did a double major in math and ee/cs, latter of which is a single course in MIT
>>
>>7843971
ALSO he doesn't have a masters in math, so really he only has Bachelors in math, Bachelors and masters in eecs and an MBA
>>
>>7843832
I do.
I think everyone should have access to that education, but not everyone should be almost automatically awarded a degree at the end.
The responsibility would lie in making sure as many people as possible get a degree because they deserve it and have been given the tools to get it.
>>
>>7844001
Ok fair enough
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.