[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/entists, Could I make props (propellers) out of Balsa

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Eachine-H8-1.jpg (71KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Eachine-H8-1.jpg
71KB, 800x800px
Hey /sci/entists,
Could I make props (propellers) out of Balsa wood for a drone?
Pic related, I'm going to make them for an Eachine H8.
>>
sure
>>
>>7839310
Thanks
>>
>>7839315
np
>>
I don't think that's gonna work out with the shaft/hole joint, seems with soft wood like that it would start to slip pretty quickly.
>>
>>7839340
How about stronger wood? Do you think I could roughen it up with a filer?
>>
>>7839346
I'd think the issue with wood as opposed to plastic is that it deforms plastically instead of elastically so that as soon as you push it in the hole will expand and there will barely be any tension around the shaft to keep it in sync.
But it might work with harder wood, it might even work with balsa just fine, only way to find out is to try it.
>>
>>7839357
The goal in mind is to make stronger props, would they be stronger or about the same?
>>
>>7839340
Just bond it if thats an issue
>>
Sure. It's a pretty common practice for rubber free-flight models where weight is important and large, slow-turning propellers offer the best flight times, but it could certainly work for electric too. But as [>>7839340] said, press-fit might be tricky, and a harder wood like birch or bamboo might be better since the prop is small enough that weight isn't a huge issue.
>>7839357
>I'd think the issue with wood as opposed to plastic is that it deforms plastically instead of elastically
But that's not really true. Cellulose is not a ductile material, and any permanent deformation is the result of partial rupture, not yielding.

In any case, one trick I've used with balsa wood for local stiffening/hardening is to impregnate parts with glue, including press-fitment. The easiest way to do this is with thin CA glue (drill a hole, drop glue into hole, and re-drill out to size), but epoxy and wood glue work too if you're after a less brittle joint.
>>
>>7839295
absolutely not, balsa is a) terrible for carving and b) too weak. Making your own props in generalnis a stuid idea. Its hard as fuck when you can just buy one for a fiver.
>>
>>7839295
depends on torque and operating rpms.
>>
>>7839634
I agree with this one. Props are parts that have to be very efficient and making your own isn't worth it. Make the rest of your drone yourself if you want, every single part, but buy the motors and especially the props.
Also balsa is very soft and will make for horrible props for anything other than a glider or very l ight slow-flyer with RPM less than 2000
>>
OP assuming you're planning on actually carving these yourself it's just not gonna happen, getting the airfoils similar enough that you can correct imbalance with trim is going to be damn near impossible.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.